Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy new carbides and have received mixed feedback over which to choose - single vs. dual? What is your opinion??

·
Registered
17,173 Posts
Depending on your riding style, do you want a trail cruiser with no darting, or do you want something with good bite in the corners...? Also depends on on how much traction you run on the other end.

Single carbides all the way for me , preferably bergstrom skegs with 3/8" "ski saver" shims between ski and runner. Or SLP SLT skis, which works very well on my edge.

IMO dual runners is a band-aid fix for darting problems.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Depending on your riding style, do you want a trail cruiser with no darting, or do you want something with good bite in the corners...? Also depends on on how much traction you run on the other end.

Single carbides all the way for me , preferably bergstrom skegs with 3/8" "ski saver" shims between ski and runner. Or SLP SLT skis, which works very well on my edge.

IMO dual runners is a band-aid fix for darting problems.[/b]
Good bite in the corners is what I am looking for - I have 96 studs as well. I was just on Bergstrom's website and was watching their video's on the new Advantage 3 carbides. Are you running these or the good and ugly's? What inch do you run? According to Berg's 6 would be more than plenty for my set-up but friends have advised to use 8".

Thanks,
Tim

·
Registered
17,173 Posts
I'm using 6" (single) carbides with ski savers on 2 sleds, a 99 xc700sp with 1" track and a 00 xcr800 with a 1.25" track. Both unstudded.
Being used to that carbides lose their edge pretty quick, I went for 6" instead of 4". As the Bergstroms seems to hold their edge much longer , next time I'll be buying 4". The 6" has plenty of bite, and I run very low ski pressure to keep the darting in check.

I'd think 6" will be enough for your setup.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
The 6" are all most riders will ever need for an Edge chassis. If you know you're going to wipe out anything you put on there because of crappy conditions, a cheap pair of 4" work fine....

·
Registered
328 Posts
I just installed a set of 6" Bergstroms and love them (same setup as Ivar mentioned, only with 1/4" ski savers - I may try the 3/8" the next time out to compare). I previously had a pair of Woody's duallys; they definately get rid of any darting, but they also get rid of your steering ability. Scott at Bergstrom is a great guy to deal with. Give him a call; he'll match up what you need for your sled.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts