Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
^_^ i was just wondering if anyone has tried the simmons skis on their firecat and what exactly did you experience.i'm very interseted in purchasing a pair so if anybody has some input it would be appreciated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
233 Posts
I have them and love them. Compared to my brothers F-7 with the stock skiis, it is night and day. Highly recommended.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
168 Posts
Wait til next year. Competition will bring prices down.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
I put a set on my F7, and it improved the handling and stability/cornering by miles. The best thing I did for the sled (and me).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
313 Posts
Originally posted by dfalk@Mar 17 2003, 09:37 PM
I put a set on my F7, and it improved the handling and stability/cornering by miles. The best thing I did for the sled (and me).
Are they consistent in different snow conditions. I know the ski doo skis act different in different snow conditions. They grab great on hard pack, but tend to slide in the soft snow. My powder pros seem to be very consistent, but dart at slow speeds. Trying to get a comparison. I might sell my powder pros and try something else.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,051 Posts
Originally posted by deepsnow@Mar 15 2003, 01:46 AM
^_^ i was just wondering if anyone has tried the simmons skis on their firecat and what exactly did you experience.i'm very interseted in purchasing a pair so if anybody has some input it would be appreciated.
I run Simmonds on my F7, 2000 mi and work great, I'm also a dealer for them. Where are you located ? And yes you can get a set for under 400. I'm located in So. NH.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Originally posted by zekester+Mar 18 2003, 06:00 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-deepsnow
@Mar 15 2003, 01:46 AM
^_^ i was just wondering if anyone has tried the simmons skis on their firecat and what exactly did you experience.i'm very interseted in purchasing a pair so if anybody has some input it would be appreciated.
I run Simmonds on my F7, 2000 mi and work great, I'm also a dealer for them. Where are you located ? And yes you can get a set for under 400. I'm located in So. NH. [/b]
Zeke, I didn't know you were a dealer for the simmons skis ;) How come you didn't offer a set for the HCS ski test in january?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,051 Posts
I wasn't a dealer then, & I've been a little hesitant to talk them up on this forum for fear people would just think I'm trying to sell them. I looked for you that Fri. at the Snodeo, we were there 10 - 12. I really do like the skis though. Goin to put a pair on wifes ZL for next year.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,236 Posts
I put a set on my F7 after the first ride with the stock ski's, In a nut shell they improve the sled 80% in the steering & handling dept, Along with the dial adjust shock & Simmons ski's It's 100% better then stock.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Originally posted by zekester@Mar 18 2003, 08:46 PM
I wasn't a dealer then, & I've been a little hesitant to talk them up on this forum for fear people would just think I'm trying to sell them. I looked for you that Fri. at the Snodeo, we were there 10 - 12. I really do like the skis though. Goin to put a pair on wifes ZL for next year.
we had so much going on that day it would have been hard to think skis.. But I'd love to test a pair and give my comparison to the others. I'll give you my address B)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
313 Posts
I know the skis are better than stock, but are they consistent in different types of snow. I know the ski doo skis hook up awesome in packed trails, but when you get in some torn up trails, they tend to slide. Do the simmons do the same thing? I need to know guys, I want to get another set of skis and sell my powder pros. So if anyone wants to buy my skis, let me know.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,455 Posts
I've put about 12,000 miles on my Simmons Skis, had them on a Pantera and two ZX Chassis Doos. They are more aggressive than the Doo duel runner skis. Remember, they are about an inch wider than the SkiDoo's, they are flat on bottom vs the concave shape of the Doo. The Simmons also have a plastic runner leading up to the ski bar to reduce darting. The Simmons are more overall aggressive, and noticably so in a few inches of chewed up snow. Both skis will be nervous, twitchy on ice or snow that is hard as a rock (such as a plowed logging road). Both tend to dart when following another sled with duel runner skis, not a problem a few years ago but now a days there are a lot of SkiDoos out there with these skis. The carbide runners on the Simmons seem to be top quality, about a $100 for a set of 4 runners with 4 inch cutting carbide on each. 4 inches of carbide has worked fine. (don't use the optional flat carbide). The other down side of the Simmons is the plastic runner in front of the wearbars tends to wear off from road crossings etc. I don't bother to replace the plastic bottoms after this happens, they still seem to work fine. The Simmons are the best aftermarket product I have ever used.
mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
173 Posts
Originally posted by zekester+Mar 18 2003, 06:00 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-deepsnow
@Mar 15 2003, 01:46 AM
^_^ i was just wondering if anyone has tried the simmons skis on their firecat and what exactly did you experience.i'm very interseted in purchasing a pair so if anybody has some input it would be appreciated.
I run Simmonds on my F7, 2000 mi and work great, I'm also a dealer for them. Where are you located ? And yes you can get a set for under 400. I'm located in So. NH. [/b]
Zekester, you're down in the states are you?, I was wondering about new ski's myself, I have the stock ski's now and would like to get the C&A's, but these Simmons sound pretty good, you guys don't sell these up here in Canada do you, I live in the Nunavut Territory, under $400 US, do you have an approximate price if you were to sell these to me here in Canada?
thank you
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
586 Posts
I put a set of simmons on my 99zrt800, best mod I ever did for that sled. No darting, great high speed stability. I then put them on my f7, same stability no darting BUT I felt like when driven hard they would slide a little through tight corners. I could not hold an inside line when I was really pushing it hard. I put my stock skis back on and though they dart a little I can carve a much tighter line through the twisties. This may be due to the lack of weight on the f7 compared to the zrt800. They helped out the 800 far more than my 700. I guess it depends on how hard you ride. All in all they are great ski for the right application.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
313 Posts
Thanks for that info guys, I appreciate it. I'm gonna buy the SLT's, since I already have the mounts, handles, and carbides from my powder pros. I'll see how those work. I loved the powder pros. They carved awesome and had no give at all. My only problem was that they darted in chewed up groomed trails. I'll give my opinion on them next week.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
333 Posts
Red Devil, if the trails are hard put on the keel blade. There is absolutely no darting with the SLT's when using the keel blade - some without them.
I had been told that the keel blade would be harder to push through the snow thus hampering performance so, earlier in the season, I didn't use them - just the short runner turned backwards. Later, I put on the keel blade to see for myself and found absolutely not difference in top end or fuel mileage but a huge difference in straight tracking on a hard rutted trail.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
313 Posts
Originally posted by Bluenose@Mar 21 2003, 06:47 PM
Red Devil, if the trails are hard put on the keel blade. There is absolutely no darting with the SLT's when using the keel blade - some without them.
I had been told that the keel blade would be harder to push through the snow thus hampering performance so, earlier in the season, I didn't use them - just the short runner turned backwards. Later, I put on the keel blade to see for myself and found absolutely not difference in top end or fuel mileage but a huge difference in straight tracking on a hard rutted trail.
The carbide on my powder pros fit the slt. I wonder if I can get those keel blades for the powder pros. ;) I haven't heard of those. Thanks a lot! I'll check into that. BTW, how do you like the SLT's? Are they consistent? Do they hook in hard pack and soft chewed up trails the same? OR do they slide in the softer trails?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
333 Posts
The SLT's have two runner options. A long one (probably the one you now have) and a short one intended to be used in conjunction with the keel blade. By its design, the short runner can be installed in reverse position and used without the keel blade. I notice that SLP are no longer suggesting this (as they once did) and now saying that the short runner MUST be used with the keel blade. If you go to SLP's web site its all explained there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Hi guys I'm new to this website and had remembered talking to a guy earlier this season about simmons skies. I've been telling myself that if i put less than 500 miles on my sled I'd buy a pair for next season. Well i just checked the odometer today as I was cleaning it up for storage and it read 488. Usually I get about 2000 miles a season but I've been trying to straighten out my finances a little this season so I curbed my habit. Anyway by next season things will be looking much better and so will my sled with a new pair of simmons. I've heard nothing but good things about them. One reference was "it's like adding power steering to your sled". The address for getting them for polaris sleds was ([email protected]).Maybe this guy can get them for artic cats as well.Hope this helps :D
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top