Hardcore Sledder banner

Sidewinder

7K views 29 replies 18 participants last post by  guudasitgets 
#1 ·
Discuss:c-n:

:bc:

#4 ·
Snow check

Ok so just put my snow check in on a Sidewinder X-TX 141 with a 1.6 :frantics::frantics:
When to a Yamaha open house talk with the tech guru , he would not tell me the weight of it but said it is 60lds lighter that an apex 144.:stirthepot:
If you look at the weight of a viper with a mpi kit with fuel and oil it is 630lbs
I think it is going to be around that weight:dunno:
Anyone got other info
Think snow:buttrock:

Attachments

#7 ·
I ride my sleds I don't carry them over my head. Don't understand why so many people focus on the freak'n weight. They're all heavy when there stuck and full of snow.
Ever rode a Doo Gade with the 800 etec? Those light weight rockets are a hoot. I had a 2015 XRS Gade. I had a 2016 turbo cat last year and the raw power was addicting. So much so that I ordered a Sidewinder LTX LE :buttrock:

#10 ·
Not surprised that the 1st new topic about the SW is it's weight.....LOL...it will never end but then again why should it? Yamaha keeps stepping in it by offering crossover and mountain ability sleds that can't come close to the comp. Sure the turbo will be great for shooting straight up a slope but tree riding and sidehilling....not so much.
Will it be a great midwest, Canadian and Eastern trail sled ...you bet, but getting much more than a 137 track will compromise the trail manners. I will be looking at a 129 this coming firesale season.

One of Yamaha claims on this sled is that the HP to weight ratio is very good.
If we believe the SW is 630# div by 180 claimed hp we get 3.5
AXYS SB 800 490# at 153 HP is 3.2
And 140# diff is like saying your sled is just as easy to maneuver and unstuck with your wife/GF or life partner on it with you.....LOL....not a bad idea if they were actually there to help dig and hoist!

#13 ·
Ok if you read Awerican snowmobiler
They have the wet weight of sleds in there and your Axys SB 800 weight in at 570 #
Also the Dyno report on the Sidewinder are at 204 hp:frantics::frantics:
So that puts the Axys at 3.72hp per pound:stirthepot:
And the Sidewinder at 3.08hp per pound:frantics:

#17 ·
So math guru how do you figure the hp to weight
And don't break the other guys balls who put his cals up
Think snow:buttrock:
LOL
I just told you.
If you do a google search for hp to weight calculator, you can punch in any weight and hp numbers and it will do the math for you.
Your numbers aint even close.
Feel free to check it out.
Ill wait here for you to report your findings and post the correct numbers. Lol

#12 · (Edited)
FYI Mighty. i know what power is, i own a 2011 apex XTX, it doesn't have a turbo or SC but even with the weight i can still out run my buddies 2015 rene 800 all day long, there not that fast and mine handles just fine in the twisties. the mid-range on this Apex is a lot of fun and pulls harder then the rene so i can only imagine how much fun the Sidewinder is going to be.

as for the weight, this seems to the be the first thing any one from the other brands faults Yamaha for besides the suspension. i don't notice the weight of my Apex at all and i'm sure the new SW will not be any different. wish i could afford one but not in my cards for a few years. thank God i ride a Yamaha, i know it will still be going just as strong and looking good when i'm ready to move on.

#25 · (Edited)
FYI Mighty. i know what power is, i own a 2011 apex XTX, it doesn't have a turbo or SC but even with the weight i can still out run my buddies 2015 rene 800 all day long, there not that fast and mine handles just fine in the twisties. the mid-range on this Apex is a lot of fun and pulls harder then the rene so i can only imagine how much fun the Sidewinder is going to be.]
I had a 2012 Apex xtx before the XRS. My ZR compared closer to the XRS than the XTX in ride and handling. I don't know how Cat did it, but the procross chassis is amazing. It rides and handles more like the XRS. But that turbo; OMG. I had a chance to run a very well running apex and it wasn't even close. I ran away from him. At the end, he jumped off his sled came over and just said that's not fair. I offered to let him take it for a spin and he declined saying he would have to buy one if he did.

#27 ·
I would love to have a Sidewinder, think it would be a great sled, but no matter how you slice it a lighter sled handles better period. I ride 3 cylinder XCR powered sleds and no doubt they handled better with the lighter twins, but the power was more important to me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.