Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my new 18 Sidewinder and when talking off easy I have a vibration noise that goes from approx. 4200rpm to approx. 4800rpm. It sounds almost like a side panel or a heat shield vibrating. Anyone else have this?

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
It's normal. All my 1200 Doo's had it at around 4800-5000 rpm. I think it's in the clutch and when you hit it the noise goes away. I'm thinking when there isn't much load on the clutch it rattles a bit.

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
I've never heard the condition but I'm running an after market exhaust. I'm taking it off for this weekend and running stock so I'll listen to see if I can hear what your talking about.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Both mine and buddies have the same clutch noise. Yamaha 4 strokes have always had noisy clutches.
....and for $17,000. Thats a pisser right there.

With all your quality processes, Get it right Yamaha ! They are so good at all they design and build from electronics to generators to bikes to musical instruments and all and cant make a clutch that doesnt rattle. It is a known issue.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
no its something to do with the heat shield. At first service they had to replace it because it was cracked. After that the noise was gone. Its not the clutch..

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
....and for $17,000. Thats a pisser right there.

With all your quality processes, Get it right Yamaha ! They are so good at all they design and build from electronics to generators to bikes to musical instruments and all and cant make a clutch that doesnt rattle. It is a known issue.
When that bitch starts to build boost you forget aaaaaaall about that small little noise. Non issue for me but then again I've listened to Yamaha 4 stroke clutches since 03'.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
I get it. I run a Cat 1100 turbo. Its awesome...but of course its not perfect. BOV noise is probably more than the Yami clutch rattle.

Clutch noise just feels like something that can be solved easier than going on multiple model years by a company like Yamaha. How complicated can it be ? Their engineers need to get their shit together on that.

·
Registered
66 Posts
had the same problem with my zr9000. Took it to dealer on warranty and of coarse they fixed nothing. In the summer i pulled the hood and found a loose heat sheild. I rerivited it and its quiet now. Mine would make the noise at 5000 rpm. Would drive me crazy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts