Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your roll over valve isn't stuck is it? If it pressures up it will blow seal out of oil tank.
Yamaha is telling me that the tube before the valve is freezing up and that I should check and possibly remove it and clear the blockage prior to riding. Most days we start out at -20f so this would be a huge pain in the butt.
I am seeing a few mods online but not sure which to do.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Mine is starting to drip... what I don't understand is why do they run the PCV air pressure to the intake? why not just to atmosphere? I took my intake filter off and you can see the white oily residue in the intake where the PCV/rollover valve goes. So this means water and oil are going directly to the turbo...

To the OP, what the dealer told you is exactly whats going on.. I took min apart one cold morning and the entire tube had a thin layer of ice from condensation. What can happen is this layer of ice can break off and plug the Roll over valve (PCV) causing excess pressure to build in your tank and eventually blow the silicone seal out. I'm sure people who keep their sleds in a heated garage wont see this but that's not the case for me...my sled sleeps outside or in the trailer. lol

I was thinking about installing a "T" on that line that goes to a small needle valve and just have it constantly venting. I know when you tip the sled over you'll risk having small amounts of oil leaking through but at least there will be a valve that I can just close if needed...plus oil is leaking right now anyway, without being on its side so...

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Use a sealant call Right Stuff it is the absolute best you can buy and it will seal...... You have to be careful on removal of the tank after using as you can break a bolt ear off prying on it.

·
Registered
7,719 Posts
Mine is starting to drip... what I don't understand is why do they run the PCV air pressure to the intake? why not just to atmosphere?
PCV was one of the first items demanded by the EPA. I believe it was 1967. This was of course cars/trucks......but, the EPA looks over sled engines too. So, that's my guess why #1. #2, removes condensation from inside of the engine /oil faster too.

·
Registered
548 Posts
PCV was one of the first items demanded by the EPA. I believe it was 1967. This was of course cars/trucks......but, the EPA looks over sled engines too. So, that's my guess why #1. #2, removes condensation from inside of the engine /oil faster too.
You mean, RECIRCULATES condensation from inside the engine...it doesn't remove it.

Reactions: snowcrazy1

·
Registered
13 Posts
Removed roll over valve on mine and installed vent hose similar to Rocker Dan's at the start of season, 3000 kms intake still dry. Was surprised to see how much oil residue was in the intake after one season

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
seems like people don't fully understand how different 4 strokes are than their old trusty 2 strokes . they need to get up to full operating temp to burn off condensate ,and like most 4 stroke dirt bikes that may get tipped,a open dry sump air breather keeps the oil out of the air box i like to find a filter for anything i vent to atmosphere so stuff cannot go back up whatever size tube it is . epa requires manufactures to follow rules set by them and may even apply to consumers but most people do what they want once it's their unit.if you do vent your tank it could drip a bit where ever you have the vent . older honda street bikes had a nifty catch tank for that, you could drain once and a while . so oil wouldn't get on your rear tire.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Yes, go on TY, sign up (you have to create a username and PW to search the site)

Search under "member" and type in rockerdan. You'll see all his posts, find the one that says "let the mods begin". It's like 30 pages with videos, etc. You'll find the section about the rollover valve issue here.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts