Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's time to replace carbides. In an attempt to save a few bucks I was thinking of leaving the inside runner off each ski and just running tham as single runner skis. Would this be wise? Should I just spend the extra $60 and go for two pair? I would like to note I didn't pay for the upgraded ski package. It came with the sled.....

Thanx,
Trevor
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,927 Posts
I'm not sure about your skis but on my dads 06 switchback it can be either dual or single carbide. I think you can get away with one on each side might notice alittle more darting though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
285 Posts
i used the woody's dooley with two runners for most of one year then i cut one side off the flat bar so there was only one runner on each flat bar ( offset )
cornered much better than twin runner and darting was almost gone.
pretty much straight lined like the twin runner.
 

·
Premium Member
MY21 650 SBA 146, ES, ICE Storm 1.5
Joined
·
6,593 Posts
Originally posted by Trevor@Oct 10 2005, 12:19 PM
It's time to replace carbides.  In an attempt to save a few bucks I was thinking of leaving the inside runner off each ski and just running tham as single runner skis.  Would this be wise?  Should I just spend the extra $60 and go for two pair?  I would like to note I didn't pay for the upgraded ski package.  It came with the sled.....

Thanx,
Trevor
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=919760
[/quote]
If your offset skis have the short metal saddle in them, they are not Sidehiller II, they are Sidehiller. The original Sidehiller also used 2 skags per ski. The saddleless Sidehiller II did not come out until part way thru the 2003 model year. If you ride very much trail, using a single runner on each ski will greatly increase the wear on rocks, sand, dirt, gravel, pavement. You may start to beat up the plastic on the skis a lot faster.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Braap, the ski you mention is a new design for 06. It is designed to accept either a dual or single runner. The ski I am running has two slots side by each on the bottom of the keel to accept two individual runners on each ski. If I just go with one the groove to the inside will just remain empty. I'm thinkin it might become deformed and make it so in the future I am unable to go back to running duals. Which really is not a concern as most of my riding is off trial anyhow. I was a little concerned that the empty slot might create drag but I think it would just plug with snow and not be an issue. I was also thinking about cornering when I do trail ride. With the bars fully turned the outside ski will be contacting the ground with the inner edge of the keel where there is no carbide. The inside ski would be fine as the outer edge of the keel where the carbide is located would be making contact...however during cornering most of the pressure is going to be on the outside ski. I'm thinking this would lead to more push through the corners.....however this would only be evident on hardpack...and riding hardpack makes up only a small portion of my riding....The runners are very close to each other on the keel of this ski so maybe this would not be an issue. Do I sound off on my thinking? I am after all pretty new to this sport...

Of course if push through was a concern, Zeke you would have noticed but you commented your's cornered better? Maybe I'll just go with singles and see how it works out, half the cost after all.... By the way Zeke, where in NB are you? I grew up in Miramichi. Left in '94 in search of work. Sure would love to move back though...

Trevor
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry Excursion I posted my last reply while you must have been typing your's. I think my skis are Sidehiller 2's They accept two 15" skags on each ski. I would have to look. I was also concerned with wear as you suggest as the last few years have seen low snowfall here. Last season I burned up a pair of skags in a month. This was my other concern if they are going to wear twice as fast I may as well spend the extra $$$ now....

Thanks
Trevor
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
285 Posts
definately cornered better with one carbide.
put them on the inside.
i live in fredericton.

being offset it cuts its own track and does not dart as a result.
i liked it much better anyway
 

·
Premium Member
MY21 650 SBA 146, ES, ICE Storm 1.5
Joined
·
6,593 Posts
Originally posted by Trevor@Oct 10 2005, 03:47 PM
Sorry Excursion I posted my last reply while you must have been typing your's.  I think my skis are Sidehiller 2's  They accept two 15" skags on each ski.  I would have to look.  I was also concerned with wear as you suggest as the last few years have seen low snowfall here.  Last season I burned up a pair of skags in a month.  This was my other concern if they are going to wear twice as fast I may as well spend the extra $$$ now....

Thanks
Trevor
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=920229
[/quote]
Trevor, you're thinking about the right tradeoffs. It will be your call, you can carry a pair of those short carbides under the Y pipe, wired or strapped to the bellypan, if you would run into very tough conditions, you could quickly put the second runner on each ski.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by ExcursionPSD@Oct 13 2005, 03:50 AM
Trevor, you're thinking about the right tradeoffs. It will be your call, you can carry a pair of those short carbides under the Y pipe, wired or strapped to the bellypan, if you would run into very tough conditions, you could quickly put the second runner on each ski.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=926280
[/quote]

That's a good idea.

I just got a call from my dealer and I guess they just got a shipment of woodies skags. I had been inquiring and I guess they set two pair aside for me. Being as their annual open house is this Saturday and I can get between 15% and 30% off the purchase price I think I'll just go with two after all.

Thanks guys for your input.

Trevor
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top