Hardcore Sledder banner

121 - 140 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
Garmin Montana, Ram mount with Amps rugged cradle. Fiberglass added to the back side of the gauge pod for strength.
It works out good in that location you will like it.

That is where i have mine mounted, my hood is a bit different 2016 XF 800 I didn't reinforce so far so good. I just wish my eyes were better getting hard to see the smaller print.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
It works out good in that location you will like it.

That is where i have mine mounted, my hood is a bit different 2016 XF 800 I didn't reinforce so far so good. I just wish my eyes were better getting hard to see the smaller print.
This is my problem. I used to run a Garmin 60 CSX? hard mounted to the riser and it was awesome. Ran RWS's maps and used it all over Canada. Now I cant see for shit so I started using a Lowrance Elite 5 in my handlebar bag. Kind of a nuisance but was ok when lost. I,m now looking for a hard mount 6" plus unit. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I use the Garmin Montana for years now with Trakmaps and run a fairly easy setup with zero drilling and is in a good spot for riding. I like the closer to me, as I don't like reaching up towards the windshield to use the gps. Also, you can buy a super simple setup from anybody that sells the RAM mounts. I use the AMP mount made for the Montana like others but i use a different way to mount it all off the riser but towards the bottom and then use a long arm to adjust it. It's a ball with a 9mm hole that you can simply screw into the underside of any riser. Just put your riser bolt through it and tighten it up. Done.

This is on my old 1200, but new one is basically same setup.

I used the same ball mount above to add to my riser. Also have a nuvi model specific cradle for the gps unit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
585 Posts
What is the diameter of the handlebar for Skidoos?

I just keep mine in my pocket. I am paranoid of losing it. But it hasn't fallen off my side by side.. Maybe the bigger ones you can read when riding. But I am stopping anyways to look at it. Granted taking gloves off and digging out is a PIA.

For me the same areas I ride, I am hunting, hiking, and ATVing. So I am using a smaller one, Oregon 450. I have zumo, but don't like it as much for off road.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
I just keep mine in my pocket. I am paranoid of losing it.
Lost a new Montana 600 3 years ago. I hadnt clipped it all the way into my AMPS Rugged Mount...hit a deep water bar in a snowstorm...gone..operator error. This solved the fear..although it wont come off again now that I see what I did wrong. Cheap insurance ! Detaches with the push of a button.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
What is the diameter of the handlebar for Skidoos?

I just keep mine in my pocket. I am paranoid of losing it. But it hasn't fallen off my side by side.. Maybe the bigger ones you can read when riding. But I am stopping anyways to look at it. Granted taking gloves off and digging out is a PIA.

For me the same areas I ride, I am hunting, hiking, and ATVing. So I am using a smaller one, Oregon 450. I have zumo, but don't like it as much for off road.

Always use a tether. My Ram mounts have busted off twice. The ball breaks off at the base when hit too hard. Tether saved GPS both times :)

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
I’m always messing with my GPS mount locations.

My Ram ball mount on my riser liked to rotate loose so I made a plate for the handle bar clamps to put the Amps mount directly to. This works good and solid.

Because I ride QC mostly and their iMotoneige app works so well I made a mount for my phone above the gauge pod.

The iphone mount is a zip up Arkon case.
A 3D printed adapter plate for the 1” ball (you can buy this on Amazon too) a small Ram arm to a diamond 1” ball plate screwed to the plastic behind the gauge.

Inside of the Arkon case is a wireless Qi charger which charges and keeps the phone warm all day. My phone is now ready to use all day on rides just from sitting in that case helping navigate.

I have always used a tether and I buy plastic clips made by Ram and use a tether strap that can clip to anything on sled for added safety.

I also hardwired in a Mic Tuning 2 port USB power block - very handy to have.

121 - 140 of 155 Posts