Hardcore Sledder banner

101 - 120 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
I use the Garmin Montana for years now with Trakmaps and run a fairly easy setup with zero drilling and is in a good spot for riding. I like the closer to me, as I don't like reaching up towards the windshield to use the gps. Also, you can buy a super simple setup from anybody that sells the RAM mounts. I use the AMP mount made for the Montana like others but i use a different way to mount it all off the riser but towards the bottom and then use a long arm to adjust it. It's a ball with a 9mm hole that you can simply screw into the underside of any riser. Just put your riser bolt through it and tighten it up. Done.

This is on my old 1200, but new one is basically same setup.

I just bought one of these mounts, I have a bunch of RAM mount gear but I've never used the ones like this. Thanks for the heads up!

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I just bought one of these mounts, I have a bunch of RAM mount gear but I've never used the ones like this. Thanks for the heads up!

No problem ... I got lazy as I just mounted my brothers with a traditional ball mount I had lying around and bolted to plastic shroud close to the tank. Well stupid me it ended up hitting the darn ram mount arm when you turn right. I should have stuck to my own advice and just ordered another one of these awesome little mounts for the bottom of the riser block. Now I have to redo it all and will have two holes from my laziness lol ... good luck with your setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
26 Posts

Just picked up a gpsmap 64s. Used ram mounts with the short neck. Not overly impressed with the Birdseye software that came with the gps. Image quality has quite a bit of cloud cover that blocks the view of some of the terrain. Also put ibycus maps on and like the quality so far. Definitely a step up from the base stock map.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Just setting up the garmin 6” on the poo ... works great. I hardwired the 12v accessory plug directly to battery so it’s alway hot. Great setup so far.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Just setting up the garmin 6” on the poo ... works great. I hardwired the 12v accessory plug directly to battery so it’s alway hot. Great setup so far.

I also just added this nifty little SAE plug. I can basically wire anything up to it with an sae connector but mainly installed this so I don’t need to remove panel when on battery tender over summer. Nice

·
Registered
513 Posts
Thanks to all who helped me figure out the setup for my GPS. Rode close to 700 miles with the GPS for the first time last week. What a fun difference it makes. RAM Mount was completely solid and not worried at all about anything. VVMapping is everything the reviews say and more. The whole setup including VVMapping cost me $97. Was able to ride Forest Roads in the Chippewa National Forest with 100% confidence.

-Garmin Nuvi 1350 - I actually ordered a Nuvi 255W off of Amazon. The package showed up and it was a box for a 255W, an owner's manual for a 205, and the actual GPS was a Nuvi 1350. $14.95 shipped so I am not complaining.

-RAM Mount Steel U-Bolt Cradle Plate Mount 1.0 inch Ball - P/N: RAM-B-149U

-RAM Mounting Systems RAM-HOL-GA34U Plastic Cradle - Both from gpscity.com

-EDIT - I forgot the cord - Mini-USB Cable, EZOPower 3 Feet Mini-USB USB Data Cord Braided Jacket Cable for Garmin Nuvi.
I really like the braided power cord because it doesn't tangle and moisture doesn't hurt it. That was $5 on Amazon so my total cost was $102.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,372 Posts

Will be interesting to see how you like that after a while. I had mine in that location years ago, and I didn't like having to look so far down to see the screen...impossible/unsafe to look at while moving down the trail.

The nice benefit of wiring these directly to the battery with 2 prong auto plug, is you can also use that plug for the battery tender.

·
Registered
960 Posts
I got an old Garmin Nuvi and uploaded trail maps from Redpine, it works great and i can even see fire roads when we are back in the woods up in the U.P. This is an Axys chassis, i removed the two bolts on either side of the steering column and made an Aluminum mount, painted it and mounted the RAM mount to that. Works great.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
I also just added this nifty little SAE plug. I can basically wire anything up to it with an sae connector but mainly installed this so I don’t need to remove panel when on battery tender over summer.
Where did you fine the SAE plug?

***Edit did find some on ebay and amazon ~$17 a little higher price than I wanted as I would like to put one on all the toys quads, motorcycle, sleds and mower

·
Registered
10 Posts
Made an aluminum mount to go on the handlebar. I wanted both sturdy and out of the way, and I think this is going to work. Also rigged up a weatherproof bag with a hand warmer to keep the gps battery warm, and a USB charger built in to power the GPS.

101 - 120 of 155 Posts