Premium Member
2014 XF800 137
4,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering about these oil leaks.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
from what i see here it might be crank seal? how does it run otherwise ?? because if it is a seal you could be looking at a blown crank bearing possibly seizer of one piston (mag side)because of very lean condition see dealer

·
Registered
12,141 Posts
Originally posted by fast 600@Jul 9 2003, 04:45 PM
Just called the dealer with my sled, leak down test was good and said not to be concerned about the oil leak.
The mark on the mag side piston that I could catch with my finger nail is just a blow by mark, according to the dealer.
My ? is, what do you think?? Les..
Oil leaks are NOT normal, so I would get a warranty claim in now.

Just my opinion. Oldtimer.

·
Registered
12,141 Posts
Originally posted by fast 600@Mar 18 2003, 12:26 PM
I also have this on mag side.
It looks like trouble.

Blow-by? I question that theory.

Do you have confidence in your dealer?

And how many miles?

Good luck.

·
Registered
523 Posts
sort of looks like a scuffed piston to me.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
That is how one of my pistion's looked!!!!Also the coating came of the bottom part of each clinder..my dealer gave a whole new top end.
There is no way in hell a oil leak is normal...coming out of the exhaust yes not every where eles!!!!Put ur pistion at top dead center and look at ur wall's
my coating came of on both cylinder's on the bottom of the wall's...compression was bang on also for both cylinder's!!!I had 1950 miles on with no sign of a proplem...the only reason i looked is cause some one on here mentioned....glad i did or i might have missed it.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
is there any other dealers in your area. even if you have to drive a long distance it may save you in the long run. get a second opinion its not going to hurt but sled engines are not cheap

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
How deef is that stuff? How can he tell that the other sides of the piston aren't scuffed like that too? Get stuff covered by warranty while you can.

·
Registered
2 Posts
by now you guessed, and were told that it is oil blowbye from the apvs . its normal but check the very edge of the top of the piston for decay . i had many problems and after 2 top ends cat cat gave me a new sled, with the same blow by.

·
Registered
287 Posts
If the sled is running good don't worry about it. I had the same thing on my
1999 ZR 600 EFI and after great pain I found the oil/grease residue was
caused by excessive lube on the recoil. As the engine would get hot the lube became soft and spartered around the mag. Had me worried big time,
I had changed the recoil (cracked) and my problem stopped.
Hope this helps, Marc. B)

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
first of all i dig those big jugs second cat gave you a new sledd ?? that doesnot sound like cat that is a good dealer most would send you on youre way if left to cats reps.

·
Premium Member
13,941 Posts
The piston looks scuffed, it could be blowby, if you can feel grooves or pick them with your fingernail the piston should be replaced.

Even if the pistons are ok with excess blowby the rings should be replaced, and the cylinders honed. If the dealer wont do the work, or warranty the parts, try another, talk to him, about it.

You usually have to pull the pto cylinder to get the mag side wrist pin out, I would drain the coolant, and pull the cylinders, you can usually reuse the base gasket and o-rings. If you choose to do it, check both pistons and cylinders, any marks that catch your fingernail indicate the piston, or cylinder need to be replaced.

after you re-assemble the engine, and torque everything to spec, leave the coolant hose off the head, and fill the cooling system till coolant flows out of the head, then bleed using the procedure pinned at the top of the forum.

·
Premium Member
13,941 Posts
well if you can catch the grooves with a nail, than it is broke and needs to be fixed, dont know what there problem is, cat pays pretty well for warranty, and keeping a customer happy, or getting a new one pays even better.

Krom

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
If the groove is deep enough to catch your nail then there is defiantely a problem. Don't get screwed until your warranty is up, then blow it on your first ride.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts