Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2019 SBA 850, 2012 SBA 800, 2002 700 XCSP, 1992 Polaris Indy 500 EFI
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my snowmobile in the shop right now. Apparently they don't do rebuilds. They told me mine are "probably shot anyway" so I might as well buy new ones.

I highly doubt they're shot. They only have 2600 miles on them and have never been abused.

Anyone know where I can take it to have just the front end rebuilt? Would most dealers? I live in Minneapolis. Any suggestions?

I'm planning to head north for the first trip in a couple weeks. I'd like to get this done before I go.

Thanks

·
Registered
772 Posts
Guy i alwasy bring my shocks to is Deycore - steve is real nice and alwasy does top notch work (not sure if he is a sponsor here or not)

search for a number on internet i would recommend him - hes in stillwater

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I have my snowmobile in the shop right now. Apparently they don't do rebuilds. They told me mine are "probably shot anyway" so I might as well buy new ones.

I highly doubt they're shot. They only have 2600 miles on them and have never been abused.

Anyone know where I can take it to have just the front end rebuilt? Would most dealers? I live in Minneapolis. Any suggestions?

I'm planning to head north for the first trip in a couple weeks. I'd like to get this done before I go.

Thanks[/b]
First, if your sled is an 02 Polaris with 2600 miles on it go get your snowmobile out of the shop and tell them to Fuck Off. I've got a sled with 8,000 miles on it and rebuild them every other year. Your shocks are not junk.

Second, Deycore does good work but I don't think they will remove them.

Jeff.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks... I've been on Deycore's site. I don't think he will pull them?

I guess I could probably do that, though I don't have much time with a newborn at home. How hard is it to get them off? Do I need jack stands to do it?

I'd rather pull it in and drop the sled off, if they do good work. If that's tough to find I guess I'll have to decide if I can get by one more trip or if I need to block out some time to figure out how to pull them. Don't imagine it's rocket science.

The place I took it was too convenient. I should have known it wouldn't work.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
My buddy has the same sled, with two wrenches and a jack I can have the front shocks off in 15 minutes. The skid shocks take a little time and talent but the fronts are just four bolts.

You really should have all four rebuilt though. With 2600 miles on it you probably want to drop the skid and give it a once over anyway.

I generally rebuild my shocks every other year. I put on at least 1,500 miles a year.

Where in Minneapolis are you?

Jeff

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
My buddy has the same sled, with two wrenches and a jack I can have the front shocks off in 15 minutes. The skid shocks take a little time and talent but the fronts are just four bolts.

You really should have all four rebuilt though. With 2600 miles on it you probably want to drop the skid and give it a once over anyway.

I generally rebuild my shocks every other year. I put on at least 1,500 miles a year.

Where in Minneapolis are you?

Jeff[/b]

I would also say if your only going to take one trip this year I wouldn't worry about running it as is.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Uptown area. We are taking a 3 day riding weekend around the Aurora/Hoyt Lakes/Giants Ridge area this month (weekend of the 24th) and talking a Duluth to Lutsen or Grand Marais ride in March.

Last year I bottomed out a lot on the trails with so little snow. If I can find somewhere to take it to rebuild them by the 24th I'll probably do that. If not, either put in the Ryde FX 8400s I bought or wait 'til we get back to deal with it.

The back end pops up pretty good when weight is removed but the front end is really sagging.

I appreciate the feedback...

·
Registered
906 Posts
Uptown area. We are taking a 3 day riding weekend around the Aurora/Hoyt Lakes/Giants Ridge area this month (weekend of the 24th) and talking a Duluth to Lutsen or Grand Marais ride in March.

Last year I bottomed out a lot on the trails with so little snow. If I can find somewhere to take it to rebuild them by the 24th I'll probably do that. If not, either put in the Ryde FX 8400s I bought or wait 'til we get back to deal with it.

The back end pops up pretty good when weight is removed but the front end is really sagging.

I appreciate the feedback...[/b]
Get them rebuilt, don't go to a dealer. Dealers will charge you a bundle. Take them off yourself. Takes longer to take a good shit than to remove those front shocks.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If I get my sled back Monday, get them off and mailed out by probably Wed, will I get them back in time to head out the following Thursday?

Timing is as much of a problem as anything for me right now. Maybe I go this trip with what I have and get them rebuilt before the next time out.

·
Registered
906 Posts
If I get my sled back Monday, get them off and mailed out by probably Wed, will I get them back in time to head out the following Thursday?

Timing is as much of a problem as anything for me right now. Maybe I go this trip with what I have and get them rebuilt before the next time out.[/b]
I would think so, if you talked to the guy first. I think if you go to the Prox page there is a guy that posts there, from the cities, that does shocks. Probably get them back before the weekend.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, I'll check over there. I'll hopefully get my sled back tomorrow.. If it's as easy as everyone says I should be able to pull the shocks tomorrow..

I appreciate the input. I just hope there's enough snow up north to make all this worth it!

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
:m2c: is too get a hold of timespentsearching.........he is about 45 mins from ya......Later

·
Registered
860 Posts
I would highly reccomend DLS in Plymouth. Dave does excellent work and is very reasonable. I could also pull your shocks off and get them to Dave if you don't have time for a very reasonable price.

Jason

·
Registered
39 Posts
Deycore dose excellent work

·
Registered
864 Posts
I would highly reccomend DLS in Plymouth. Dave does excellent work and is very reasonable. I could also pull your shocks off and get them to Dave if you don't have time for a very reasonable price.

Jason[/b]
Thanks Jason. $25 for std shocks and normal turn around is only a day or two. I use Amsoil too. Here is a link to my website. ... Dave http://home.comcast.net/~davearctic/DLS.html

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks everyone. I emailed with Dave yesterday. Need to get the sled back from the shop, find some time to pull the shocks and I'll be dropping them off at DLS.

Thanks again..

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
sorry i got back to you later xc i was gone up north but ya dave does good work have meet him once before nad seen his work to. everyone stated does good work though. i know steve from deycore well and steve is probably the largestg or second larges shock rebuilder/parts supplier in the world. nice guys.

·
Registered
207 Posts
We used DLS in Plymouth also and were very pleased with the job he did. Actually had 8 shocks to be rebuilt and he got them done for us in 24 hours. He has extended hours which helped big time, we dropped off and picked up close to 9pm. You don't find service like that very often.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts