Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an F7 snopro, with only about 250 miles on it now.(no snow!) I know cat reccomends ebuilding after 200 miles. Is it really neccesary? Ive never had these remote resevoir shocks before so I was just wondering. We rode pretty hard, but no big jumps......yet.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I was asking the same thing on the litterbox forum. On the ZR's I've had, I'd always let them go for the season, never had a problem.(mostly Fox...1 set of ACT) After looking at my Firecat, (just short of 200 mi) I think I'll need to. Looks pretty tough...

·
Registered
211 Posts
I'm wondering the same thing. I have a standard F-7 with about 800 miles and it feels like a swing set.......??? How often should the shocks be serviced i.e. seals oil etc. ?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Cat's theory on rebuilding after 200 miles is that since the shocks are new, there is some "break in" wear on the shocks and will result in small aluminum particles in the oil that will actually scratch the shock up. If you get your shocks rebuilt now there will be a longer period in between rebuilds in the future.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How do I know if they need it or not?

·
Premium Member
10,637 Posts
The sno pro shocks should last realistically (because of larger oil volume) 1500 miles...
Standard ones we've seen around 1000 miles - then after rebuilding both should last another 1500 to 2000 miles.

Only the oil should have to be changed during service - then recharged.

·
Registered
6,976 Posts
Push down on the suspension. If it's like a pogo stick they are shot. If it has some resistance coming back up they are at least OK.
Cat S.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Buy an $8000. sled, ride for a weekend and rebuild the suspension? Not likely! I've got 2100 on it now and I think its about time. 200 miles ha ha ha!

·
Registered
302 Posts
<_< I had mine rebuilt at 1100 miles after I Thought they were too soft. Come to find out the N2 on one of the front shocks somehow transferred to the oil side thru a screw with an o-ring for a seal. Keep an eye out.
STd shocks

·
Registered
174 Posts
200 miles?? I should have stopped in Waters last weekend then and had my shocks rebuilt. Only ended up putting 240 TROUBLE FREE miles last weekend. No, I haven't checked my MAG piston (YET!)

I'll do my shocks this summer and be ready for next year. I have seen the oil first hand on my AC shocks on my 01 T-cat with 1200 miles and for the $100 bucks it is worth getting it done.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I ride hard and usually get a season or about 1500 miles before rebuild is required. My F7sp needed rebuild after only 600 miles. Only did the rear skid cuase thats all that was needed. I would only rebuild on a as needed basis. By the way I went to a thicker oil (read stiffer) and I like it better for my riding style.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I would redo them soon. I wouldn't go past 500 miles without doing them. The factory uses crappy oil and there is break in contamination there. You would be surprised how much crap is in shock oil. I rebuild my own and do it often. First time 500 miles, then every 1000 to 1500 depending on how rough the trails have been. Use a good synthetic snowmobile shock oil. I use Torco and it has been very good to me.
For the 300$ i spent on getting the equipment to do it and the little effort it took to learn it was well worth it. If you spend 100$ a shot, 3 rebuilds and your stuff is paid for. Then you can do your buddies and make a few bucks too. :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts