Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are any of you fellow F7 owners experiencing any shock fade in the rear shock of the rear suspension?? Just something I have noticed over the past few rides. I am at about 1300 miles....I'm assuming it is time for revalving . BTW, this is on a Sno-Pro, my weight is 225, riding on med. spring setting. I do have my limiter straps pulled all the way up....about 2" more than from stock setting....left it this way after the drag races. Any input would be appreciated. Ass end is sagging about 3-4".

·
Registered
574 Posts
My dads F7 sags about 2" with only 200mi on the sled. The sno pro suspension sure is durable though. We were riding the other day my dad was leading with the F7, went over a hill, except it wasn't a hill on the other side (a cliff would be a more accurate description). It was about a 15-20 drop, flat landing on hardpack snow. Everything was fine with the suspension.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Like I had previously posted, I have just noticed this fading over the past 100 miles or so. It still soaks up the bumps with no problem.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I rebuilt my snopro shocks at about 1250 miles. The rear arm shock was by far the worst, the oil was very milky. It still rode well, but I'm glad I changed the oil. I used Amsoil light synthetic oil, still not sure about valving and oil weight to use. I think I bottom out more now, but trail conditions before and after were different.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The fade doesn't seem to affect the way it soaks up the bumps on the trail.....I can lift up on the bumper and the sled lifts several inches before being back to the top of the shock travel. I'm going to get them revalved after the riding season is over. Will it hurt the shocks to keep riding them like this? Will it get worse??

·
Registered
193 Posts
Maybe some of you guys don't have bad shocks.Awhile back i read an article about shocks.They said that the shocks wont make sled sag,they say the shock only controls rebound.When you are experincing sag it is the springs.They recomend changing springs after 2000 miles from average riding.Just a thought :)

·
Registered
534 Posts
I had a shock/spring failure on my ZR600 SE last year. The sled had 6000 miles on the original springs when one of the rear springs broke.

If you even think the springs are getting worn out, it's relatively cheap to buy a new set of springs and put them on. AC recommends recharging and servicing your shocks after the first 500 miles. I have 1800 miles on my sled. After pounding it on the trails for maybe 20 miles on some days the shocks seem to fade a bit. (It's more of a springy performance thing, but not that bad, not like a pogo spring thing.) It just feels a little more springy, but the sled still performs awesome.

The thing is about the ZR600 failure with 6000 miles. I had rebuilt the clicker shocks twice, but the springs were not replaced. It's difficult to tell if the fade in the shock or shock failure happened first on that ZR and then the resulting springy ride caused more travel and stress on the spring or (more likely) the spring failed and the compression stroke being much faster caused the shock to blow out. I ended up spending about $600 in parts and shock rebuilds to rebuild that skid before selling it. The problems I encountered in taking it apart was I didn't keep the cross bolts tight enough and some rail holes were enlarged.

It's better to spend a few buck and some time to rebuild or buy a couple of springs and check the bolts now, than the alternative. (Rebuilding an entire skid.)

By 2000 or 2500 miles I'm going to replace my rear springs, whether it needs them or not. I'd rather have a new set since I'm hitting bumps and ruts much faster than on my ZR which causes possibly more wear or stress.

BTW:
I also heard from one dealer that some of the heavy rider SQUARE SPRINGS for the rear were breaking. Check about 6 to 8 inches from the end of the flat spring where it moves in and out of the lower skid spring holder. If the paint is cracked on that square spring, replace it before the spring breaks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts