Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hear that guys are taking a washer out of the secondary. First question, what does that do or what are the advantages. Secondly, where do you find these washers. Are they Behind the secondary? Mine has two washers behind the secondary and one rubber gromet/washer. thanks

·
Registered
252 Posts
The secondary has to be taken apart to remove the shim washers. Theses washers are between the 2 sheeve on the hub of the secondary. If you remove a washer the sheeve move closer together, moving the belt higher on the secondary, giving you more low end acceleration. Unless you mechanically inclined and have some tools, I wouldn't recommend you doing it yourself without some help. The secondary spring will have to be wound when you put it back together and this takes about 3 hands or the proper tools. Hope this helps.

catfish

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Pulling a shim out of the secondary will allow the belt to ride higher in betwwen the clutch plates,essentially starting you off in a slightly lower gear.The advantage is that it will be a little quicker off the line.The bolts and washers your talking about only secure the secondary to the shaft,the shims are in between the clutch halfs themselves.

It's easy to take apart and re-assemble yourself WITHOUT any special tool or extra hands.A roll of duct-tape on the ground and your knees on the sides of the clutch halves and you can easily remove the three nuts while keeping pressure downward on the spring.Once all the nuts are removed,carefully with BOTH hand allow the halves to seperate and unwind.Watch your fingers,and the threads on the studs and you shouldn't have any trouble.I took mine apart probably 20 times last month,with no damage to the parts or my body. :D

·
Registered
696 Posts
Originally posted by f7dreamer@Mar 7 2003, 02:58 PM
I hear that guys are taking a washer out of the secondary. First question, what does that do or what are the advantages. Secondly, where do you find these washers. Are they Behind the secondary? Mine has two washers behind the secondary and one rubber gromet/washer. thanks
The advantages are in your "take off power" for lack of a better term. The shims inside the secondary clutch control how high the belt "rides" in the secondary. For instance, from the factory, the top of my belt was almost flush with the top of the clutch sheaves. After removing 1 thick shim, the belt now sits about 1/8" above the secondary. In doing this, I was able to get rid of the "bog" at take off. Don't ask why, I'm no mechanical engineer, it just works.

The shims are actually inside the secondary clutch, not the ones behind the clutch on the jackshaft. Take off the clutch, (no special tools needed) and lay it on the floor. Now start loosening the 3 lock nuts somewhat equally, while keeping pressure on the clutch. When the last one goes, the clutch halves will "pop apart". Don't be scared...nothing will go flying. Anyway, you'll see these washers. Take one out and then put it all back together. You'll need to rotate the top sheave while compressing them together...You can do this by having the clutch on the floor, and get some weight on it. It should pop back into place, and you'll be able to get the nuts back on. You'll see a difference in how your belt rides on the clutch.

If I missed something, someone please correct me...

WOW!!! I must be a slow typist! :wacko: catfish & redF5sp beat me to it! I forgot about the roll of duct tape...good call!

·
Registered
236 Posts
2 small 2x4s laying flat on either side of clutch face will work also. The only rason for duct tape or 2x4s are to stabilize the clutch.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
If this is your first time doing this you might want to mark the stud tower and the roller plate. Just so you know you turned it far enough when you put it back together.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I use a non-roller top from an old clutch in place of the duct tape. But winding the spring, especially a stiff/strong one can be difficult at times. I do the assembly/disassembly in a similar manner to the way redF5sp described. One of these days I'll make a tool myself.

catfish

·
Registered
6,976 Posts
Also make sure when you put your clutch back together that the two alignment marks on the secondary line up. They are little lines on the outside of the sheaves toward the outer edge. I think they are about 1/2" long. They are in the same area as all those small circular holes in the sheaves. They are there for balancing.

Cat S.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts