Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today while testing my machine out in the 660, all of a sudden it seemed as if the cables came off again. I looked and they were still on. I shut the machine off and started it back up to see if the servo would stroke like it should, and it did it three times instead of once. Went home, put it on the jack stand and opened it up to WOT numerous times and the servo never moved. I've done this pretty much every time I go to ride to see if the cables are still connected and the servo strokes at the rpm it's supposed to. Not now. What the heck!! Is the servo toasted? Why would it stroke 3 times at start up instead of once like it used to? Why won't it stroke when you run the engine up over the rpm that they are supposed to open up at? Please help. I think the servo is screwed. :angry:

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
I think you better check your power valves and cables.If there sticky,at all,there will be too much resistance on the servo motor.The servo motor checks itself and resets itself everytime you start it up and the revs go over 2500 or so.If the specs are good when it cycles and the cables or valves arn't sticky,alls well and the servo functions properly.If the servo motor see's resistance on start up it cycles three times and them shuts down,until the next time you start it and it retries the test.PULL your valves if your inclined or have the dealer do it,thats likely the problem,as most 5's are doing this,AC is working on the fix,but it may be next year before we see it :wacko: suprising hey

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
The servo motor will stroke three times if it isn't getting the correct feedback signal the first and second try. Your valves are possibly sticking or you put the cables onto the spindle incorrectly as I did when mine popped off in that last stretch of super cold -40 weather. Once I put the cables into the correct slot on the servo spindle and cleaned up the valves the servo cycled only once and now all is well.
It would seem that in the super cold weather any moisture within the cable housings may freeze or that thick burnt oil around the valves may congeal thus not allowing the valves to return (close) normally with the spring tension and as the servo moves to the closed position the resultant slack in the cables allows them to disconnect from the spindle.
Verify that your cables are in the slot just below 270 degrees and clean up your valves and there housing and your problems will likely vanish.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
B) Hey fellas! You both were bang on with the sticking valves issue. Even though I cleaned them that day, after riding for and hour at minus25 C those darn cables and valves were gummed up and starting to be quite sticky. I never cleaned anything that night, but when I went to do the cleaning the next night on a cold engine, one cable was totally stuck. I then went ahead and cleaned the devil out of everything, cables too, as good as I could. Guess what? Servo back to normal. Everything good! Way could'nt my Cat dealer tell me this when I called him at home and told him of my servo problems? He never even suggested to do what you guys told me to do. He right away assumed the servo was buggered. I told him of the symptoms like I explained here in an earlier post. I believe he is ordering in a new servo for me, which I don't need now. I totally appreciate tehe help from you people. If it wasn't for this forum, I would never of learnt about all of these repairs and situations. Thanx!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts