Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Made a loop from Rexton to Newberry to Seney to Curtis & back on Wednesday. 7* in the morning. Rexton was a little thin in spots, but definetly rideable. Just got better as we got to Newberry. As we rode NW on the loop to Seney it was awesome. As we got a few miles from Seney...kinda sucked. Alot of icy trails. Never having ridin' this area we didn't know of a way around the bad trails to the North of town. Too wet for groomer & had to go thru some complete bullshit water holes...some of which I'd question taking my Honda Foutrax thru. We ate at Andy's I think & found out locals easily went around it---this trail should be closed & alternate way posted. South of town was not too bad...poor tho compared to everyplace else. I can understand the conditions due to the swamp, but their trail report has no mention of it. Ran into some backpackers from Gaylord & had come from Naubinway...they said do not use that trail. It sounded worse than the Seney part North of town. I never personally saw it, but wanted to pass it along JIC.

Curtis is ok, but not worth the time IMHO.

I wanted to hit these areas because I've never been there...I won't be back on a sled that's for sure.

It would just be nice if everyone posting info on the trails just told it like it was.

From my experience, you can't go wrong with Biskit. It may not be what you want to hear, but there's no bullshittin' ya'.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
I'm not sure what reports you're reading either cause the Curtis Trail system report on fishweb mentions the trail being closed due to water and that an alternate route is suggested.

Right from Bud Chamberlin:
" * please note Trail 457 - connector route from Curtis to Engadine / Gould City is closed due to water ... however Curtis and Gould City is still easily accessible by north Gould City Rd"

For Seney it says this:
"We are still not grooming down thru the swamp on trail 431 and with he warm temps predicted for next week it doesn't look like we will be any time soon"

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
thanks for the report. we are staying in curtis thursday - sunday. if you have anymore info on that area keep us posted

thanks
nick

·
Registered
289 Posts
The best way to go north from Seney is to follow the trail they groom up the side of M-77. Joins up with the "swamp" trail just before you hit the east branch of the Fox River. They have been grooming that, and it is in good shape.

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is the link I used for Seney HERE.
NOW it mentions it. I had been checking it every day up to Monday night before we left. Rode there Wednesday...came back Thursday unfortunately due to a buddies dead sled. I checked again on Thursday when we got back because I was still kinda pissed. Trail report still had no mention of it at like 6pm Thursday.

The thing is, it may be obvious to sledders who have ridin' the area...but not to a newb. If I didn't stay on the marked trail, I'd be posting about a ticket I got for riding a road to avoid the area. Then I'd get the "you should of stayed on the trail bit."

I'll just chaulk it up to experience. I see the link is sponsered by that motel...

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
This is the link I used for Seney HERE.
NOW it mentions it. I had been checking it every day up to Monday night before we left. Rode there Wednesday...came back Thursday unfortunately due to a buddies dead sled. I checked again on Thursday when we got back because I was still kinda pissed. Trail report still had no mention of it at like 6pm Thursday.

The thing is, it may be obvious to sledders who have ridin' the area...but not to a newb. If I didn't stay on the marked trail, I'd be posting about a ticket I got for riding a road to avoid the area. Then I'd get the "you should of stayed on the trail bit."
I'll just chaulk it up to experience. I see the link is sponsered by that motel...[/b]

Linky says no workie!

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
^^^ Now it does, nothing about it beginning of the week when it was 7* each morning.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts