Hardcore Sledder banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
I use to dicker with people you know list it for little higher than I want to give some wiggle room. Now I just don’t have the time or patience to deal with all the bull shit. I just list it at my bottom dollar if you don’t wanna pay that don’t bother me. I sold a mustang roller two years ago. I put my firm price up, I told this guy several times I’m not going less than $3500 don’t show up with less or your wasting a trip. Well Sure enough he shows up with 3k cash I go good down payment there’s a atm downtown for the rest. He got mad because I wouldn’t budge even 50 bucks after telling him price is firm several times. He wasted 3.5hrs one way drive to see it. Sold it few days later to someone else full price.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I just sold a sled on CL. I always ask a fair price with just a little room to negotiate. Never had a problem selling stuff on CL and getting the money in my comfort zone. The thing about it is, I take care of my stuff and anybody that comes to look figures out the value pretty quick. I've never had a low baller that actually took the time to come over. Low ballers on text and email get deleted. No response necessary.

·
Registered
8,433 Posts
People are retarded I think these online offer guys are newer to this buying and selling stuff. They want a million pictures and want to have these long conversations over texts. I grew up reading the classifieds and if you want it you call the number and go see it. I just returned from south Dakota to get a van and there was no money talk before going out there. It's just fucking dumb, there's a price listed, go off that price. If you want to make an offer do it in person after seeing it, with cash in your pocket.

Even if you tell these clowns your lowest price, they'll still try to then negotiate down from there. They just never had a dad to show them how to act around other men.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Heres what ive learned since then. Stick to your price. It will sell. The guys who show up and are willing to drive to you, they are more serious than most. Usually the guys who dont even ask a price and want to see it asap are prepared to possibly pay full price if its as clean and maintained as it looks.

Ive not bought sleds before. Its ok to walk away. Its ok for others to walk away.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I grew up reading the classifieds and if you want it you call the number and go see it.
I think most people did. I’m only in my early 30s and I still remember reading through The want ad that use to come out weekly when I was younger. The good old days when you get just a few word description and maybe if your lucky some 1inx1in shitty black and white picture. You actually had to call and talk about what you wanted to buy not a million emails or pictures and then potential buyer just disappears like a fart in the wind.

·
Registered
278 Posts
30 or so years ago, buddy was offered about 1/2 of his asking price while looking at the sled in his driveway. He calmly responded “I’ll burn this sonofabitch to the ground right where it sits for that price”!!! Buyer was stunned, stood there for about 30 seconds then walked away! Priceless!
That one is awesome. Years ago when snocross was real hot one of my buddies threw out pretty much that same line trying to sell his 440 SnoPro, for a fair price on a used race sled (that even had a fresh motor). The clown responded "but its been raced.." , good luck finding one that hasn't since that was what it was built for jackwagon.

·
Registered
20,088 Posts
I sold my sled on Monday, but over the course of the week I had it listed I had countless guys starting their communication to me with, "What's your bottom line?" - or - "Are you willing to negotiate?" I had my sled listed for $9950, knowing I likely wouldn't get that, but knew my bottom line wasn't too far off that number. One guy who didn't even ask about negotiating just sends me a message saying, "Will you take 7 grand?" I wasn't going to respond because I was pissed at how ignorant people can be, but I decided to humor myself and replied, "Sure, what else are you going to include that's worth $2950?" There was a bit of a delay ... and then I get this:

"Do you like grass fed beef?"

I was with a bunch of buddies when that response came through, and I thought a couple of us were gonna spit our beer out after reading the response. Kudos to the guy for trying to make something work, but I don't own a walk in freezer to hold that much beef!! LOL
the crap I was offered and the low ball offers I was getting when I was trying to sell my tucker hibbert edition was out of control. It was everyone’s dream sled I guess.

·
Registered
2020 Indy XCR 850
172 Posts
We were at the NCAA basketball tournament in Greensboro years ago. We had an extra ticket for the SOLD OUT Duke game. Actually had a guy offer me 1/2 of face value for it. Tore the ticket to shreds right in front of him. The look on his face was priceless.

·
Registered
409 Posts
So true on the texting or Facebook Messenger method ... that's how all of my contact was until the guy who actually bought the sled CALLED me to discuss. So much easier to talk to someone and be able to answer questions right away vs. the back & forth that goes with texting, etc.

@Jerry 976 - the reference to Badger, I didn't even think of that but you're right!! LOL 🤣😂🤣
I used facebook marketplace for the first time about a month ago trying to sell a rare 1977 Harley Davidson 125 enduro bike (Made in Italy)...It sold in less than 2 hours and was picked up the same day...

·
Registered
486 Posts
People are retarded I think these online offer guys are newer to this buying and selling stuff. They want a million pictures and want to have these long conversations over texts. I grew up reading the classifieds and if you want it you call the number and go see it. I just returned from south Dakota to get a van and there was no money talk before going out there. It's just fucking dumb, there's a price listed, go off that price. If you want to make an offer do it in person after seeing it, with cash in your pocket.

Even if you tell these clowns your lowest price, they'll still try to then negotiate down from there. They just never had a dad to show them how to act around other men.
I think for some guys they aren't face to face so it's easier to throw out a lowball offer. Alot of guys are just looking to get stuff cheap and flip it.

·
Registered
149 Posts
First of all I’m 65. It use to be you placed an add, an individual would call and ask questions, then set up an appointment to see what you had for sale. This summer I sold a 97 corvette, clean car with low miles. No phone calls or questions about the car just messages asking my bottom line. The guy that bought it I thought was a scammer, his message was “ I want it, how much money should I bring”. In terms of private sales it’s a different world than this old boy is use to. Tom

·
Registered
18 Posts
Im asking $2500
Guy says I will give you $1500. And a compression check.Never called just in a email.
My response i have decided to part it out and make more money. OH AND MAKE SURE YOU BRING A SNAP ON COMPRESSION CHECKER AND NO HOW TO RUN IT.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Ive found the easiest way for me to get rid of something I dont want is to list it for less than its worth.
I have sold 1 car, 3 sleds, a go kart, and some other misc shit in the last year. I dont have anybody pissing me off with stupid offers. Almost every time the first person to message me gets to my house as fast as he can. No talking me down bullshit. They are happy as shit. Im happy as shit its out of my shop.

Last year I sold an racing item that was new never used. MSRP was like $250. But I bought it probably 8 years ago and it just sat on the shelf. I listed for a 30 pack of beer. I think the guy left work early to come and get it.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
I sell a fair amount of dirt bikes on Craig's List but occasionally sell sleds and snowmobile trailers too. Life is too short to deal with mouth breathers with no cash, so whenever I list a "power sports" item on Craig's List or FB, I put capital letters "FIRM ON PRICE, LOW BALL OFFERS WILL BE IGNORED, AND NO TRADES". This weeds out most of the non-serious, flat broke buyers.

I often remind people before they come and look at the item, to not come if they cannot afford my price as they would be wasting their time and gas otherwise.

The best was I was selling a dirt bike and reminded the guy multiple times, before he came to my house, of my firm price. He came. He looked it over. I could tell he liked it and wanted it. So he is standing outside of my garage door and the motorcycle was just inside of my garage door, and he shoots me a low ball offer. And I just so happened to have the garage door remote inside of my pocket, so I hit the button, the door starts to close and so does his jaw. As the door drops, he then starts yelling higher and higher offers to me until he hits my original price, and I then reverse the door. I said "See that wasn't so hard."

Always be able and willing to walk away from a deal.

·
Administrator
21,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Some good stories ... I like the garage door being closed on the guy!! And yes, putting the low ball losers in their place like you did @EvilBird can make it that much more enjoyable once the item sells!! 🍻

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
How about the dip shits that want to meet half way? I had a power tool for sale for $50 a few months ago, and someone replied that they would give full price if i met them in a certain city (30 min drive) I told him the thing would be in the garbage before i did something stupid like that

·
Registered
2018 XCR Switchback 800
1,972 Posts
We had a developer purchase land adjacent to ours, and one of the new streets dead-ended against our property line. The guy called and wanted to talk about an "easement" on our land so he could put a turn around, or "cul-de-sac" at the end of the street, as required by the city for being able to turn a snowplow around. It was an 80'x100' piece of land, where mind you he just bought 23 acres for $78k/acre. He offered my mom $3,000, one time payment! Ok thanks Bill, we'll get back to you. He wasn't even in his truck when my mother who never swears called him a F**king Ass-Hole.

I prepared myself with the response when he called back 3 days later to see what we thought:

Bill,
#1, we don't have to do anything.
#2, your offer didn't make us reconsider #1.

Dead silence for about 5 seconds, "Well how about $10,000?" Ah no Bill, have a nice day. He called back two weeks later and upped it to $20,000, and I said we are good Bill.

He never called back again.....

21 - 40 of 47 Posts