Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Administrator
20,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sold my sled on Monday, but over the course of the week I had it listed I had countless guys starting their communication to me with, "What's your bottom line?" - or - "Are you willing to negotiate?" I had my sled listed for $9950, knowing I likely wouldn't get that, but knew my bottom line wasn't too far off that number. One guy who didn't even ask about negotiating just sends me a message saying, "Will you take 7 grand?" I wasn't going to respond because I was pissed at how ignorant people can be, but I decided to humor myself and replied, "Sure, what else are you going to include that's worth $2950?" There was a bit of a delay ... and then I get this:

"Do you like grass fed beef?"

I was with a bunch of buddies when that response came through, and I thought a couple of us were gonna spit our beer out after reading the response. Kudos to the guy for trying to make something work, but I don't own a walk in freezer to hold that much beef!! LOL

·
Registered
2020 Indy XCR 850
161 Posts
I used to refuse to negotiate unless it was in person. Times have changed. Both ways. Last sled I sold was all done via text. The last two sleds I bought were negotiated via text. All with the understanding that once in person, anyone could walk away. Just the new way things are done.

·
Administrator
20,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So true on the texting or Facebook Messenger method ... that's how all of my contact was until the guy who actually bought the sled CALLED me to discuss. So much easier to talk to someone and be able to answer questions right away vs. the back & forth that goes with texting, etc.

@Jerry 976 - the reference to Badger, I didn't even think of that but you're right!! LOL 🤣😂🤣

·
Premium Member
16,451 Posts
I sold my sled on Monday, but over the course of the week I had it listed I had countless guys starting their communication to me with, "What's your bottom line?" - or - "Are you willing to negotiate?" I had my sled listed for $9950, knowing I likely wouldn't get that, but knew my bottom line wasn't too far off that number. One guy who didn't even ask about negotiating just sends me a message saying, "Will you take 7 grand?" I wasn't going to respond because I was pissed at how ignorant people can be, but I decided to humor myself and replied, "Sure, what else are you going to include that's worth $2950?" There was a bit of a delay ... and then I get this:

I was with a bunch of buddies when that response came through, and I thought a couple of us were gonna spit our beer out after reading the response. Kudos to the guy for trying to make something work, but I don't own a walk in freezer to hold that much beef!! LOL
I seldom trade anything in on something new. So, I always have to deal with those types of people. The offer obviously is before they've even looked at the sled. Many of them assume you need the money and they want to flip your sled for profit. Especially now when sleds are getting harder to find. They are wasting their time with me. One of my car show buddies had his big block 1967 Chevy Impala for sale for $30K. A car saleman kept lowballing him starting at $20K and slowly raising his offer. Finally, he paid him $29500. Turned out, the salesman had already had the car sold for $36000 to someone else. He even had it advertised before he owned it and stated: "pending". LOL!

·
Registered
[email protected]‘19 Indy XC 600’s
343 Posts
30 or so years ago, buddy was offered about 1/2 of his asking price while looking at the sled in his driveway. He calmly responded “I’ll burn this sonofabitch to the ground right where it sits for that price”!!! Buyer was stunned, stood there for about 30 seconds then walked away! Priceless!

·
Registered
5,338 Posts
Wasn't that a first year Polaris 850? Seven grand and some beef was a great offer man. 🤪

But I agree, the text/messenger/email shit gets on my nerves. If I'm selling something and get a message 'of interest' on it I provide them with my phone number and tell them to call me. If they don't, that's where the conversation stops.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Yeah I get bothered by it too sometimes. It almost seems like less info the better too on the for sale ad.

Years ago I had an older sled for sale with high miles, but just about everything had been replaced where if you got the exact same sled with less miles, most of that stuff has probably never even been looked at. Anyways I wanted 900 bucks for it. Got the usual "I got subwoofers id trade you". But a few guys who wanted to pay 300 bucks, then complained that "well I can buy the same sled with less miles for 500 bucks" ... So buy it? But one guy in particular just badgering me over text for weeks. Saying those miles the sled is ready to blow up, its not worth anything, blah blah blah. He wanted the sled for 250 bucks. Said he would be nice and give me 350 for it. And that when I dont sell the sled and am ready to sell it for what its worth (350 bucks) to get ahold of him. Every few days he would text me "ready to sell the sled to me for what its worth? Its not going to sell at that price". Just pissing me off every day. Finally someone text me. "Hey I wanna check out the sled. When can I look at at?" We setup a time and he actually comes. Looks it over real close. He says "god this thing is clean" says that he will take it... "You want 900 for it right?" And hands me 900 bucks.

That same night after I sold it. Guess who text me again "ready to sell if for what its worth?" Prick. I text back. "Nope, because I just sold it for 900 bucks. You go take your 350 dollars and go buy a 350 dollar sled". ... Every single conversation is over text selling that sled. It was weird thats for sure. But thats the new normal.

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts

I had my 12 listed 5 yrs ago w 4200 miles for 6200 with a ton mods, c&a skis, hand guards, windshield bag, wrapped, tunnel bag. I had a guy come over, loved it and says I will give you 5k. I said sure after I strip it down of all the mods and skis. Hold out for the right person to come around. $5800 in hand 2 weeks later.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
114 Posts
In the last 4 years I've bought 33 sleds and sold 19. (I had a bit of a Skidoo problem, but it's getting back under control). Texting is definitely the preferred method of e-commerce. Craigslist is practically dead now that marketplace is on the scene. Anyway, the best approach I've found is a brief greet and introducing myself: Hello/Good evening/Hey there, my name is Sam and I really like your sled...I have a few questions. (ask questions). If those answers jive all right then I'll usually make an offer or ask for more pictures if there were only a few. (If you're selling a sled, pictures are what sell it...and no pictures of you going full send to demonstrate how awesome your machine is) Typically I want to see all sides of the sled, all sides of the seat, both sides of the engine bay, a shot of the track to see the studs and/or general condition of the track, and a shot of the odometer. When I'm selling, I always have a little room to maneuver on price, but never more than 10%. Always be respectful and if you don't reach a deal, wish them the best and move on. Belligerent/Bully buyers are the worst and if someone goes that way I just tell them I won't sell them the sled and ask they no longer contact me. BTW, as others have stated, offering half of asking price is a dick move...used to get me pissed, now it's just a block or delete conversation.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I dont text or negotiate on any thing I sell online...A few times over the years I actually kicked people out of my garage because of lowball offers...Best one was a guy who drove 160 miles to see/buy a 1974 Yamaha 125mx I had restored to showroom new condition...When he got here he lowballed me by $1000.00 less than my asking price...I looked the douce in the eye and said to him..." Hey pal I got you by the balls, your driving 320 miles roundtrip for this bike, pay the asking price or go home"...He paid...loooooool

·
Registered
140 Posts
Just did craigslist deal with a HCS member ,all Texts and deal was very easy as he is a stand up guy. We did have 1 call, as person that picked up sled was running a little late. Dealing on this type of sled its a small circle of owners.

Attachments

·
Registered
396 Posts
Another marketing technique I have used over the years....I tell my wife before the buyer gets to our home..."If you look out the kitchen window and see me having to go round and round with the buyer, call me on my cell while im standing out there...I'll pretend it's another HOT BUYER who wants the item ASAP for asking price. I let the clown standing with me hear the conversation, then I look at him and say..." Last chance dude, pay up or boogie...This guy on the phone wants it...So far they have all paid up...

·
Registered
2020 XCR 850
39 Posts
I agree with Sam I am. When I'm buying and when I'm selling it's all about being polite and respectful. I find people are really tired of the low ballers and those that can't even take the time to type a full sentence when they are interacting with you. If you are patient and do your homework and price it right I find a good buyer will come along eventually that doesn't hesitate to pay a price they are happy with and you are happy with.

Oh and when they ask me my best price I always respond with "What is your best offer?".

·
Insane Madcatter
306 Posts
In the last 4 years I've bought 33 sleds and sold 19.
And I thought I bought and sold alot of toys.
I just made $1500 of my 20 XTX 998, buddy wanted it real bad, so back down to two sleds, my 06 F7 and my 00 MXZ.
But 33 sleds in 4 years? God damn son!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Yeah...it got a little touch & go with my wife!

Several good points in this thread. atieck brings up another one: If you're the seller and you've put your price out there you've already made the first move. When people ignore that and ask what the best price is, I always point out that my number is out there for everyone to see and that I won't negotiate against myself. If they don't like that number that's fine, but they need to put theirs out there and we'll see how far apart we are.

The easiest deal and best result I had was this last spring. I put 5 Mach Z's and a Mach 1 together in a package deal for a collector in Toronto. I thought this was going to be a circus because of the COVID border being closed. Nope...the guy owned a trucking farm near Toronto and once we nailed down the price, I sent him photos of all the BOS's and Registrations signed, he wired the money directly into my account, and 4 days later had a semi truck in my driveway to pick them all up. The only issue in the whole deal was I broke a tail light with the forklift while loading. I immediately took a picture and sent it to the buyer with an offer to buy him a new taillight. He said don't worry, he had several tail lights already. I made $9,000 profit on those 6 sleds and freed up a bunch of space. Some of my fellow SkiDoo enthusiast thought I was nuts for selling 6 mint Mach Z's, but all I saw was 18 carburetors I didn't have to clean anymore.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts