Hardcore Sledder banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Pro R Switchback
3,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
i'm seriously thinking of taking my angle grinder to the whole damn secondary and hacking it off.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Look behind helix and see if you can see key/key way. I have seen a few that people have, when sliding secondary on shaft, pushed key in key way to where it starts tapering out of shaft and then tightened mounting bolt up causing the helix to bend key and become stuck almost like a taper fit primary clutch. Sometimes you can see the key behind clutch and get prybar and start working on it to work it loose.

·
Registered
118 Posts
See if you can find someone up there selling Kroil penetrant (link below). It is much thinner than PB blaster. I have been using it for over 30 years and have had good luck with it in the past seeping in corroded parts like you are trying to break apart. Just don't leave the aerosol cans in a cold garage, since they sell mostly to industrial clients their cans don't like cold weather and lose the propellant when they sit in freezing weather.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
if you can, spread the driven open, and heat up the area down by the shaft, then tip on its side again and soak it like you have been doing.... eventually, it will come off. The combination of heat and penetrant will work eventually

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Screw a bolt in shaft and use a inductive heater to heat bolt red hot and let cool spraying with pb as it does keep doing it and it will eventually work loose. You can use a torch but be careful not to get clutch too hot.

·
Premium Member
15,600 Posts
Screw a bolt in shaft and use a inductive heater to heat bolt red hot and let cool spraying with pb as it does keep doing it and it will eventually work loose. You can use a torch but be careful not to get clutch too hot.
Interesting but I'd try using a steering wheel style puller bolted to the three holes in the secondary used for deflection adjustment and screwing the center puller bolt in till it contacts the driveshaft. This might exert enough force to pull secondary off. Tap lightly on head of puller bolt as you tighten it. Be careful not to damage driveshaft bolt threads. Or use a bolt as a jack by bolting a plate to the three holes located in the secondary for deflection adjustment. The plate would go over the bolt head with a little grease on the head. Screw bolt as far in as possible. Then reach an open ended/box wrench between the bolts and unscrew the big bolt. Be careful not to overtorque the center bolt. Tap the plate with a small hammer as you unscrew the center bolt.

·
Registered
39,573 Posts
Interesting but I'd try using a steering wheel style puller bolted to the three holes in the secondary used for deflection adjustment and screwing the center puller bolt in till it contacts the driveshaft. This might exert enough force to pull secondary off. Tap lightly on head of puller bolt as you tighten it. Be careful not to damage driveshaft bolt threads. Or use a bolt as a jack by bolting a plate to the three holes located in the secondary for deflection adjustment. The plate would go over the bolt head with a little grease on the head. Screw bolt as far in as possible. Then reach an open ended/box wrench between the bolts and unscrew the big bolt. Be careful not to overtorque the center bolt. Tap the plate with a small hammer as you unscrew the center bolt.
Could recall once a guy here tried that with steering wheel puller with the long jaws on a primary clutch and warped the sheaves so bad the clutch was junk afterwards.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I would think you would just pull those threads out anyway. Worse comes to worse pull belly pan loose and pull drive shaft and all out. Then put in press and push shaft out.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Did you get it off?? I have same sled and i couldnt get mine off either!!! soaked in in everything i could find and it still wont budge!!!!!

·
Registered
2012 Pro R Switchback
3,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Did you get it off?? I have same sled and i couldnt get mine off either!!! soaked in in everything i could find and it still wont budge!!!!!
Nope, haven't tried as of yet. I did have it running on a stand and while the belt is pretty shot, the sled runs good and clutches both open. Going to try some ATF and acetone and let it sit for a week and see. I've come to the conclusion that if i don't get it off, i'll leave it. Sled won't get more than 40 miles on it in a year with my 11 y/o

·
Premium Member
15,600 Posts
Nope, haven't tried as of yet. I did have it running on a stand and while the belt is pretty shot, the sled runs good and clutches both open. Going to try some ATF and acetone and let it sit for a week and see. I've come to the conclusion that if i don't get it off, i'll leave it. Sled won't get more than 40 miles on it in a year with my 11 y/o
Yep. You could even space the bolt and washers with a lot of side gap and let it flex/float during it being driven. Might work itself loose. Belt will keep it on the driveshaft.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts