Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How does a stiffer spring in the secondary effect a snowmobile? Does a heavier improve or hurt the sleds backshift? I am curios because the F5 comes with a green spring and my old Zr 500 came with a yellow. The green spring is much stiffer then the yellow, it seems like a lot for only a small increase in horse power. Also the F5 comes with much heavier weights is the extra weight used to just counteract the stiff spring? It seems to me that the green spring is over kill and just causing alot of unneeded resistance. I guess I'm asking alot of questions here but if anyone has any opinions I would appreciate it

·
Premium Member
10,637 Posts
I would love to see someone try to run the red/white spring in the sec. It may give like 3-5 mph on top end...May not??? But the green is awesome for NO belt slip and great backshifts. But is real stiff, I wonder why they put it on the 500?? I think they figured, that the sled may be a stock sno-cross racer, and corner to corner runner..

·
Registered
79 Posts
I second that Dan. Someone with an F5 try the red/white secondary spring. I agree trailerblazer, the yellow spring may also yield favourable results. For the guys with the F5, I don't know if they are overreving with the 50.5g weights or not. Would be interesting to know if this engine can pull heavier weights then the ZR500. I had 49.5g weights and it pulled 8300-8400 rpms consistently. :)

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am going home for christmas break tomorrow and hoping to try some things on Friday. I am going to try the yellow spring and some 51.5g weights since I already have them. I also plan on picking up some 53g weights and the red white spring. They are forcasting a chance of rain :angry: so I may have to wait till the weekend.

·
Registered
227 Posts
<_< I have a yellow spring also, i also have a 55/50 helix. I would think one of those springs and the 55/50 helix would do pretty good.
what's your thoughts guys?

·
Registered
6,976 Posts
Is the red spring just more coils than the yellow spring? It is if I'm not mistaken. Therefore, the red spring should shift the same as the yellow, but hold the belt tighter on initial take off for better holeshots. The red and yellow springs are softer than the green so they should shift out easier and privide more top end. Anyone agree??
Cat S.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts