Hardcore Sledder banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,231 Posts
You’re welcome. I’m not entirely sure that a pinched heater grip wire could cause that, although it probably could. The computers are finicky and they don’t like it when voltage messes up somewhere. Messes other things up. I had a ecu go bad years ago, speedometer went out, I was like 40 miles from home, 20 miles from home the headlight went out, about 7 miles from home it started to run on one cylinder. I towed it the last 7.

·
Premium Member
21,231 Posts
Yes, I do believe the 1000 servo is the same. My buddy had a cfr 1000, new a belt, wrecked the servo (cfr has servo above the belt, I think your older cf has it mounted like on a firecat) Anyway, I know we put a F7 servo onto his cfr 1000 and ran it in a pinch that weekend

·
Registered
08 F1000 LXR and 06 xfire 700
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Well I could not unplug the servo motor without taking off the tank so I just dug in. I am going to bench test the servo motor with a motorcycle 12v battery. I did find two bare wires one was a power wire on the grip heat wire. The other was the helmet plug in. Is that square thing the voltage regulator? I also figured I would check the coil resistance but don’t think my Multimeter is sensitive enough. Only read .6 on the primary which manual says should be .36. Now going to test the stator. Anything else I should test? I tested all the handlebar controls via the manual.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
21,231 Posts
Now your getting after it. Any of those wires look like they were actually grounding out to metal? Be great if one was. The square is the regulator. They rarely go bad. Coils don’t usually fail either.

·
Premium Member
21,231 Posts
You know…..I hate those things….I’ve replaced ones that tested Good (but were junk) and I’ve had ones test Bad,that were perfectly good running. I don’t know if the charge coil being 33-50% out of spec like that would hurt it or not. Stators are not my strong point. I like when they read -0- or infinity. I want to say, it’s probably fine. I don’t even know who on here you could ask.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Yeah a short is probably best scenario or an open. It’s more about the inductance than the resistance. I do see one on eBay for $145 that says they tested it test good. Can I change the stator while engine mounted? I see you need a flywheel puller. I may hold off on it test the servo motor if that’s good put it all back together. See how it runs. Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
21,231 Posts
Yes, stator is not hard to change. Depending on the style of plug in your wires, you may need to unbolt the magneto housing (4 bolts I think) from the crank case, to allow the wires to pass through. I can’t remember what years had the plugs that would clear and what ones wouldn’t. To remove that though, will need to unbolt the motor plate on that side. (3 bolts), you’ll be fine. I used $15 steering wheel type puller for years with no issues, before buying the more sled specific one that looks like a steel puck. Only thread the bolts 1/4-3/8” into the flywheel though. Guys go and run bolts in an inch…and squash their stator.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Thanks I ordered the used stator from guy in Mn . I see Kimpex makes a new one but 2weeks lead time and $200 vs $145. Saw a post that also said might have to have partner hold the primary when pulling out. I did see that note also on not threading too deep. Also was wondering on the plug so makes sense might need to pull magneto cover.

·
Premium Member
2014 XF800 137
4,452 Posts
Aftermarket stators are not worth installing, only use oem.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Thanks will go with the used oem and also I did find ricks electric but also see some have issues with rebuild. Hopefully the used one has some life. Getttin the bugs worked out of “OJ” that’s what I named it given the orange color. Luckily this chassis is easy to work on! Hopefully can get some mile in yet this year and then reeds and top end this summer!

21 - 35 of 35 Posts