Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i like the riding position of the rev, but only buy arcticats, have any of you guys rode with the wedge
and if so how do you like it?

·
Premium Member
2,846 Posts
Was going to post this also. My brother (FCR61) has installed one on his F7. I got a chance to try it this past weekend. I didn't like it!

First of all, the seat looks like shit all wrinkled. The rear of the seat where it contacts the riser also looks like shit. Now for the riding impressions:

1) It makes you feel that the seat is about 2" shorter, I'm 6'4" and it made the sled feel way too small for my comfort.
2) I felt like I was constantly sliding forward, or at least having to re-position alot.
3) The handle bars are now too low! LOL ! Need to have a 6.5" riser.
4) Riding it felt fine, just way higher, hey at least you can see over the windshield now!
5) I felt that the CG was way too high for MY comfort level.
6) I wear a Tek-Vest and the way the seat contacts your back now, was way uncomfortable with the Tek-Vest on. The vest has a part that extends down in the rear to protect your tailbone and the seat now pushed that piece into your back the whole time you ride.

So, my initial impressions are that its not for me. My brother on the other hand, loved it! Once again to each his own. I was able to do this comparision on the same day with the same conditions comparing to my F7 stock. I think that they made almost too much of a rise. 7+" in the rear! Maybe 3-4" would be perfect. Hmmm maybe a custom riser............

I may try to get some more miles on it in the future, but for now, I personally am way more comfortable on the F7 with the standard Ergonomics.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the info, i'm undecided on what to do, i love the feel of the rev, i thought maybe the wedge would get me closer to that feeling,
on the rev you sit higher but the seat is still flat, so i can see how you get that sliding forward feeling the whole time
i thought about about making one out of aluminum and only raising about 4 inches, laot of work to find out i wouldnt like it any way,
maybe i'll make a prototype out of wood and wedge under to get the feel first
thanks again!!

·
Premium Member
2,846 Posts
Originally posted by dave cat 7@Jan 2 2003, 11:12 AM
maybe i'll make a prototype out of wood and wedge under to get the feel first
That's what I would do. You can start with the 7" and see what this kit does and then change to suit your preference.

It definately is "REV-feeling" if that's what your looking for.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I am undecided as well. Frist off, it does not look that great on the sled. But if it adds to enjoyment that's okay. Secondly, why can't they just make one that rises the seat parallel to the tunnel, that would give it a much more correct feel.

Just my .02 ;)

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
jay,
have you rode a rev?
i rode one for about 25 miles and loved it, i just cant bring myself to buy a ski-doo

·
Premium Member
2,846 Posts
Originally posted by dave cat 7@Jan 2 2003, 11:43 AM
jay,
have you rode a rev?
i rode one for about 25 miles and loved it, i just cant bring myself to buy a ski-doo
Not yet, but I really want to. I'm actually thinking of trading my backup sled (01 ZR 600) for a REV, but I'm in the same boat, don't know if I can bring myself to buy a SkiDoo, but if its that much better............

·
Registered
930 Posts
Originally posted by Jay@Jan 2 2003, 12:00 PM
I'm actually thinking of trading my backup sled (01 ZR 600) for a REV, but I'm in the same boat, don't know if I can bring myself to buy a SkiDoo, but if its that much better............
I have spent a lot of time on a 600REV. It is a fine machine, but it is a bit over-hyped in some areas too. First off, some folks just hate the riding position. Supertrax said they found 15% of the people that rode it for extended periods just couldn't get use to it. I am borderline...I have gotten use to it, but would never like riding in that position for more than short spells. I can see why it is a force in sno-cross though. When dialed in, the thing turns sharper and more precisely than any other sled I have ridden. The 600 is also freaky fast. Like the F7, the 600HO competes easily one class up. The ride is more predictable over rougher terrain because the transition to standing is so easy on the REV, the down side to that is that you need to stand more on it because seated the ride is still rougher than most REV guys would admit. In fact, my friend thinks my 02 ZR handles the really rough junk better at higher speeds then his REV does. The most important thing is to ride one for an extended period before ever considering buying one. Some love em, some hate em and very few are in between. They will create a niche (maybe a big one), but they will not be for everyone or every style of riding that's for sure...Marc

·
Registered
100 Posts
I like (in theory) what the wedge does to the ergos of the sled, but I'd be incredibly disappointed to have spent X- amount of dollars to have the fit and finish aspect of the product be the way it is. Not extremely bad, but you would've thought that they'ed have figured that out before production.
Shainsaw <_<

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
Ok gentlemen, now time for my opinion. This wedge is all a matter of personal preference, myself and Jay are roughly the same size and he hates it and I for one like it alot, but there are many variables as to why.

1.) When I first rode the Fcat I felt as if I was sitting in a hole. But after countless measurements between the Fcat and the ZR they offer very similar seating positions, if not the same. Its just a matter of how you feel on the sled.
2.) I usually ride up on the tank when riding aggressively and this wedge seems to put me where I want to be.
3.) Due to my riding style, I prefer my handlebars to be as far forward as possible and to make standing more comfortable. Therefore, though the riser seems to shorten the length of the seat it makes the bar position more comfortable. I felt as if my arms were too stretched out to reach the bars, when riding at the back of the seat.
4.) Due to the fact that I just had knee surgery in October, this riser seems to offer me a more comfortable riding position, and definetly makes it easier for me to transition from a sitting position to a standing position.
5.) I personally feel more on top of the sled, kinda Rev-like, but not as drastic. I like the Rev's theory, but could not take having my knee contacting the fairing, therefore this riser seems to be about middle of the road.

Now don't get me wrong there are thing that I do dislike about the riser, but am able to look past, since it does make it more comfortable for me to ride, which is something I didn't think I would be doing this year.

1.) The seat does wrinkle.....ALOT, I have worked most of them out but will be addressing them with my staple gun shortly.
2.) The fit and finish of the rear where the seat meets the riser could be better, just a matter of reshaping the seat frame alittle.
3.) Though I like it alot, I would like to see the manufacturer come out with a 3"-4" riser, which I think will get rid of the sloping effect, I may break out the aluminum and sheetmetal brake, to fab up a custom riser.
4.) Although I like the new taillight design, it could be mounted better, like maybe some screws instead of plastic pins.
5.) Don't believe the hype, there is NO additional storage with the riser. Bummer since you can't fit jack schitt in the rear compartment on the Fcat.

Overall, I like it and it will be residing on my sled for the rest of the season, It really is a crap shoot if you will like it or not, like I stated earlier I like it and Jay hates it, same size person, go figure!!

·
Doesn't play well with other
5,441 Posts
Sorry guys no miles on my sled yet, we have had ZERO snow for me to even test with, the ground has not even been white once yet this year in Central Wisconsin.
DAMN I WANT TO RIDE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Later..........Flash and Flare

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
fcr61,
let me know if you come up with a 3-4" riser, sounds like you have the tools to make one, i would purchase one from you, if looks good!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts