Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I filled my oil tank about probably 50-60 miles ago and the oil light just came on. it has very little oil in the tank. is this normal? what do i do to fix it? i thought SDI's were notorious for not using much oil? thanks 04 600H.O. SDI oh yeah, also, i use BRP synthetic.

·
Registered
129 Posts
you definatly have leak. do not ride anymore until you figure it out, if it is leaking you might not be geting the oil you should be to the engine

·
Registered
104 Posts
Shouldn't be hard to find a leaking oil tank. There should be 2-3 quarts of oil lying around or a big mess in your belly pan.
If it's not a leak and you're actually burning it, make sure your oil pump lever returns freely and or add a helper spring so it does.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah i'm pretty sure its not a leak. dad says hes gonna reset the oil something... i forgot what it was exactly. but thanks for the input

·
Premium Member
6,134 Posts
we did about 200 miles one day a couple weeks ago, and my girls 600sdi used just a tad less then 1qt, so, yup, you have an issue.

however just because the oil light came on doesnt mean much, my 800 throws the oil light on sometimes if i over fill it, so add oil to top it off and see, maybe it isnt as low as you think

·
Registered
4 Posts
definitely a leak, you'd be fouling plugs if it was just burning it[/b]

I have the same problem with my 600 Ho SDI, burning one gallon every 350 miles. Never fouled any plugs but guys behind me can see the smoke. Where can you add the spring for the oil return lever? Could not find it, is it on clutch side??

·
Registered
780 Posts
Should be burning 1 qt for 1 tank of gas. The oil pump arm is likely sticking. Cause if you can't see the oil in the engine bay it's not a leak. Follow the cables down in front of engine and you will see the oil pump arm. Squeeze the throttle a couple times and see if the arm returns to closed position. May need to lubricate the connection. Could also require adjustment of cable setting if this isn't something new (i.e.it's always burned a lot of oil). If it's a new phenomenon, then the arm's probably sticking.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Should be burning 1 qt for 1 tank of gas. The oil pump arm is likely sticking. Cause if you can't see the oil in the engine bay it's not a leak. Follow the cables down in front of engine and you will see the oil pump arm. Squeeze the throttle a couple times and see if the arm returns to closed position. May need to lubricate the connection. Could also require adjustment of cable setting if this isn't something new (i.e.it's always burned a lot of oil). If it's a new phenomenon, then the arm's probably sticking.[/b]
Not an expert on the subject - but my friend bought an 04 SDI 600 this year and his side yellow panel very discolored around the exhaust. He performed a spring modification (still in process of testing it out right now). Anyway - if you get on DooTalk and do a seach on "sticking oil spring" or Oil pump spring modification" - you can find some pictures on how this was done. This seems to be a known problem. Cannot vouce if this works but read and decide for yourself. Made sense to me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts