Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was cleanng my valves on the weekend and noticed that my mag side piston has 3 scuffs in it, when i asked my dealer about it he said that could have happened the first day i drove it, and not to worry if the compression isn't down. what do you guys think? should i be fighting for a new piston. mine had never had the oil pump update done and i have about 1500 miles on it.

p.s what should the compression be on an f7

thanks a lot for your help

·
Registered
269 Posts
IT'S UNDER WARRANTY HAVE DEALER REPLACE IT B) same happened to mine so had it replaced ^_^ after they pulled cylinder they noticed the cylinder walls plating was peeling. so they replaced cylinder also.

T

·
0 Posts
I got scuffed pistons,but the marks are near the bottom off the pistons and not near the rings,had it to the dealer and got it checked it had 150 psi cold,and said not to worry about it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
honestly i never felt them i was too depressed :( and my buddys were waiting for me we were going on a ride so i didn't have time to pull off the y pipe. before i noticed the marks on the piston i did notice that it felt down on power, but the weather has also been warmer so i don't know. by the way, the pto side piston was perfect and that was the side that the valve was all carboned up it was pretty hard to get out. the side with the scuffed piston that valve had hardly any carbon on it. i don't know if that means anything. the marks are about an inch from the rings but the rings don't seem to be damaged.

thanks again guys :)

p.s this is my first efi so maybe this is a dumb question, but are they not supposed to run about the same at any temp. ?

S

·
0 Posts
If theres no oil mixed in your fuel, I don't care how much fuel your efi puts out. Your gonna scratch it!

If you plan on keeping the sled a nother year, I"d see if dealer would relpace both pistons and rings under warrenty.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
My wall's on my clutch side are shot!!!The coating is coming off big time and i have a scratch on the other side!!I have 2 head's and piston's coming...i have 2000 miles on it now and never had any sign of proplem's 155-158 compression...just took in for oil pump up date and i wanted the wall's checked took the exhaust off any volia head's gone!!He figure's it was oil related...if it done that to the pistons what is the crank and bearing's going to look like in a couple of year's or next winter!!!Cat better get off it's ass and get this issue fixed...they also had a f6 go down need's to piston's...cat could not tell them why!!

·
Registered
64 Posts
There are a lot of sleds out there that have a shallow score on the pistions,the key is to check your compression, if it is lower than what some of the guys are getting i would not be to concerned, because not all compression tester give the same reading, i would be more concerned if the mag. side had a lower reading than the pto. 5 pounds difference is nothing big to worry about. Make sure your dealer makes it right with you after the season. Good Luck

S

·
0 Posts
I too have scuffs on my pistons and could not feel any of them. Coil side had 3 lines with one about 1/2 inch wide but all below rings. Other side had virtually nothing. I have not noticed anything that would suggest there is a problem. My dealer says it is normal and if there is a problem warranty will take care of it. This things rocks having pulled a 122 mph in under 3000 feet on radar this weekend. I was right with the t-cats 122 - 125 , mach z's 122 - 125 and zr900's 120 - 125. Sometimes I was beating them and other times a mile or 2 slower but this is afterall a twin 700 competing against triple 800,900 and twin 900. I will insist at the end of the season that they get replaced as a precautionary measure. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
CHECK UR CYLINDER WALL'S!!!!!!My compresion was bang on for both cylinder's...beat a mxz800 the same day i took it in..also had it going 116 on PERFECT CONDITION'S THE SAME DAY!!!She had peeling mark's on the bottom of the cylinder1/8in wide 1/2in high!!!also had a few mark's up by the ring's.If u think there is a proplem get it fixed now!!!The part's are in stock now u should be down no more the a couple of day's.

S

·
0 Posts
At this point everything looks exactly like it did when I checked it last week. A weekend of hard riding has not shown anything new or of concern ...............yet.

I will definetly insist on getting new pistons before warranty runs out and if needed cyclinders but it seems okay even what I can see from the walls. It seems to get faster each time out so it will be interesting to see this weekend since every time to date I open quite a few eyes with its performance both on the track and in the trail.

Another question I have is I have read where guys have taken out there coupler blocks. I know this will even make for a better hole shot but I feel this may cause more problems in the trials. Any thoughts

Thanks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts