Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who don't know me, I live just south of Buffalo Ny and teach technology at a local high school. Administration put me in charge of finding interest in my own program Tech ed has been dieing through the years here).

My shop class would normally be doing wood working if anyone else was in my position. I decided to see what the kids wanted to do instead and gave them a survey. With the overwhelming response towards automotive, I decided to bring in my friend's 99 XC 700 which the motor popped in last winter and do a complete rebuild on it. The administration loves the idea and they plan on doing an entire webpage and write up on it. Here are some pics of the tear down. We're currently still working on it. Let me know what you think...

[attachment=99945:attachment][attachment=99946:attachment]
[attachment=99949:attachment][attachment=99950:attachment]
[attachment=99951:attachment]

Attachments

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Very cool! Wish I would've had a sled shop class in high school! :div20:

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Wow!! That would be fun, good job!

·
Registered
7,662 Posts
Pretty damn cool! :div20:

Shouldn't this be in the General Forum or your State Forum? :dunno:

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I figured since it was an XC that maybe people in here would find more interest. Here's today's update...

*Notice in the left foot well where a belt broke and destroyed the aluminum. Looks like they are going to get a lesson on tapping metal and making a patch panel.

[attachment=99987:attachment][attachment=99985:attachment]
[attachment=99988:attachment]

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
That was my old sled! It was a bummer that she went down last year on Mike. I'm excited to see how it turns out for you guys. What a great class you're offering. Yes you are correct on the belt thing, it happend on the previous owner who I know well. He said that if his foot would have been up there it may have taken it off! Put the pipe back on for mike, thats what made the sled rock... It ran 99.78mph in a 1000' once upon a time which was pretty stout for a little 700 trail sled :) Keep us posted on how things go.

Jesse

Attachments

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey, thanks for the positive feedback everyone! I was busy this morning at the school picking up the motor and other parts that need to be checked before we rebuild the engine. I met my father at his work and we headed out to the dealership to pick up our sleds. His '06 fusion 700 came in and my '05 50th Fusion 900 was done having recalls on it, so while I was out there I picked up all the seals and gaskets to get going on the top end.

I live in Orchard Park and work in Amherst - to answer your question snowgoer.

The fun part was getting the sled into my shop. 3 years ago before I was there they took the garage doors out of the area because the teacher who was in there wanted to turn it into a wood shop. We brought the sled in through the gym, down a ramp into the cafeteria then down the hallway in front of my room to a 36 inch door. We took the skiis off along with the hood, picked it up sideways and walked it through the door and reassembled it.

Stay tuned for more...

P.S~ Jesse - I'm trying to talk Mike into keeping the sled for another year, with it regeared for around here it should be a pretty quick sled up to about 100. The SLP pipe has been sandblasted and will be painted on Monday or Tuesday.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry Braaap - yes he is paying for the parts, but labor is cheap! haha. I started looking around in the summer time for parts for this thing, so the overall cost to rebuild is going to be right around $200 as long as the jugs don't need new coatings.

The picture from the far side of the shop looking at the seat, hood and other misc. parts show everything that used to be on the sled. I'm still looking for a snow flap, so if anyone as one laying around shoot me a price on what you want for it.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Sweet. Yea if I could get a grade for working on a sled I would take it I need some easier/funner classes and your class would be awesome. I have been thinking about becoming a teacher but they seem to make too little money for me and my dreams. But I would love to be the cool teacher than everyone loves and wants to go to his class. I don't think I would last to long with the school board though.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok here's the update:

The kids have started to straighten the kink in the left stirrup where the belt broke and pushed it out of whack.

They also cut, trimmed and reinstalled the new hi fax which were worn and ready to be replaced. We also removed the rear bogie wheels which are all going to have new bearings in by the end of tomorrow. The chaincase bearings are going to be replaced also. As soon as those are done we can re-pack the good bearings and reinstall the drive shafts, track and rear suspension. At that point I think we are going to pull the front suspension apart and make sure everything up there is in order.

The exhaust system has been sandblasted and should be painted late this week or early next. I want to heat wrap the exhaust after there is paint on it to keep the heat in the pipe (and to cover up from the po-po that it's aftermarket).

I have all the gaskets to put the motor back together. I just have to get the cylinders honed. I'm also waiting for the piston kits to come in. We have more than enough work to keep busy. I figure another 2 weeks and this should be all wraped up.

Enjoy the pics, I'll try to post more after class today.

~Bill

[attachment=101368:attachment][attachment=101369:attachment]
[attachment=101370:attachment][attachment=101371:attachment]

Attachments

·
Registered
126 Posts
I always tried to get something like this past my shop teacher in high school, but the closest I got was waxing his truck and putting nerf bars on it.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok, the stirrup is as close as it's going to get. The kids have worked on it for about 2 days and its looking pretty good. We got the belly pan back to the way it should be with a little bit of motivation from the ole hammer.

We pulled the bogie wheels off today and decided which bearings needed to be replaced and which ones could just be repacked. We had 4 bad ones in the rear and then the 2 in the chaincase that needed it. $45 from Buffalo bearing and it's a sealed deal. I hope to get those tonight.

I am still in search of a few parts. I have postings in the 'Parts Wanted" section, but have gotten few responses. If anyone has a spare thermostat, crank-to-waterpump belt or snow flap send me a PM and we can negotiate a price. I need the first 2 to get the motor running again. Thanks!

Enjoy...

[attachment=101495:attachment][attachment=101496:attachment]
[attachment=101497:attachment]

Attachments

·
Registered
663 Posts
i got my teacher in school to do the same,except were taking a sled out of the garbage and using that, he is also a young teahcer like yourself, i go to frontier in hamburg, its awesome that you are doing a nice newer sled though,

1 - 20 of 55 Posts