Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Thanks for that. Very informative, especially the part about your arms freezing to the ice!

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Helpfull good to know you never really think about that but staying paralell to the ice is a pretty common sense concept but if you were in the ice and didnt know it you probably wouldnt do it! Thanks

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Originally posted by skidooguy6490@Sep 27 2005, 09:16 PM
Helpfull good to know you never really think about that but staying paralell to the ice is a pretty common sense concept but if you were in the ice and didnt know it you probably wouldnt do it! Thanks
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=896263
[/quote]

Didn't they teach you anything like that in boy scouts of america?

Don't deny it

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
That is very good info,I never went thru any ice and hope I never do, :div20:

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Yeah i second that if it was me i would have moved around thinking i was going to generate heat. Great post i just hope i never have to use any of that.

·
Registered
633 Posts
It does work my buddy put my sled through the ice last year he's about 250lb tried pulling himself out . then he remembered a video about getting your legs up and kicking your legs and popped right out.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Great post, I had my kids watch it. Hopefully they never need to use the info. But at least there educated now.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The good Dr. Really has a SET, to experience that first hand, even with rescuers right there. Thanks Doc if that helps save even one life your a hero.
:beerchug:

·
Banned
51 Posts
THIS GUY HAS GOOD INFO I KNOW FIRST HAND. DECEMBER 7/04 ME AND A BUDDY WERE RIDING AND I CAME OVER THE TOP OF A HILL PRETTY FAST AND THERE WAS A POND ON THE OTHER SIDE I HAD NO TIME TO STOP. I HAD TO MAKE A CHOICE IN ABOUT 1 SECOND WHEATHER OR NOT TO HIT THE BRAKES AND NOSE DRIVE DOWN ONTO THE ICE AND DEFINATLY GO UNDER, OR HIT THE GAS AND TRY TO MAKE IT ACROSS. I DID OPTION B. I MADE IT OUT IN THE MIDDLE AND IT WAS GOING DOWN!!! I STOPPED AND THOUGHT FOR A SECOND BEFORE I WENT UNDER. AS THE SLED WAS SINKING I JUPMED OFF AND TRIED TO A SPREAD EAGLE ON THE ICE AROUND ME. I WENT UNDER. YOU REALLY HAVE TO FORCE YOURSELF TO STAY CALM. YOU CAN PANIC EAISER THAN YOU THINK. WHEN I WENT UNDER I WAS KICKING MY FEET LIKE A BASTARD AND POPED TO THE TOP AGAIN. I CALMED DOWN ONCE I KNEW I COULD TRED WATER AND STAY ON TOP. LIKE HE SAID GO BACK TO WHERE YOU YOU WENT IN. THAT IS WHAT I DID AND I GOT OUT. I HAVE A ENTIRELY DIFFERENT RESEPECT FOR ICE NOW. IF THIS HAPPENS TO YOU YOU WILL KNOW WHAT I MEAN. MY ADVICE IS DON'T TAKE CHANCES ON ICE NINE TIMES OUT OF TEN YOU WILL LOOSE. IT IS A VERY SCARY ORDEAL. ONE SECOND YOU ARE RIDING AND HAVING A BLAST NEXT SECOND YOU HAVE TO REACT TO SAVE YOUR LIFE. THIS INCIDENT HAS CHANGED MY RIDING ON ICE. PLEASE BE CAREFUL. :beerchug:

·
Registered
565 Posts
Great video have seen it before had my kids and wife watch.Hope someone that does snomobile safety classes uses video.Great learning tool :div20:

·
Premium Member
4,252 Posts
I broke through the ice when I was probably 15. It's something I'll never forget. All I know is when I went through and under the water, and came back up I could not see anything. The water had froze to my helmet that fast. It was about -14f out. My first thing was to get my helmet off so I could see. After that I knew my dad had broke through in front off me and wanted to make sure he was ok. After I seen him I started trying to get up on the ice. Every time I would grab the ice would break. We weren't very far off shore so I started working my way toward shore. It didn't take very long for me to get out. After that my 2 brothers were behind us and went back to get my mom to come pick us up in the car. That wait felt like an eternity. My dad and I were like a solid block off ice. Thats one thing about snowmobiling that will always stay with me. I don't hesitate to go ice, and ride ice and open water that I know I shouldn't be doing. But whenever I am uncertain of ice it's wfo. I guess where we went in is usually open water, but since it was so cold it had frozen over. There were alot of tracks that had been across it. We weren't going fast enough to make it(probably 20-30).

G

·
you guys ride with a tek vest!!!!!
which is great but the wife and i ride with C.G.A. LIFE JACKETS, same prodection :drunk: and a third of the price.

something is better then nothing.

check out overtons web site

trackstand

p.s.

life jackets are made from the same thing tek-vest are. and it will float you and a nother person :doh:
+it will cost ya 100 bucks...........

thats way i hate lakes :no_bashing:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts