Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The sabercat 500 has got my attention, but the info on the engine is very vague so far. Anybody have access to a brochure yet? Would this be just a F5 engine without APV or a totally new design? I am wondering how much HP and what the expected MPG might be with no APV.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
It is a non-valve motor. I don't know if is the 500 used in the past or not, but that motor was fairly snappy. Can't exactly remember the mileage, but it was around 10-12. Mine was EFI. I think they had somewhere around 90 horse.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
thats dumb that they dont use the f5 motor, so they redesigned a whole new less powerful motor? seems kinda dumb to me.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I was just thinking, if the engine has to be a "laydown" style like the FCats this year, then the old 500 wouldn't work.

·
Premium Member
7,417 Posts
messickzr

thats what i said, all he could say was it was wierd. Again they didnt have all of the sleds on the ship so this was based on catalog literature

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
where are you guys getting this info from? i did not see it listed anywhere that there was a different engine in the sabre cat 500?

·
Banned
2,072 Posts
Betting all it is is the F-5 motor with the valve area not tapped out. The old zr/zl 500 made 93-96 hp. This one should be in that range also. It has to be in a laydown configuration or it would not fit the sled.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
The 500 engine in the Sabercat is new this year. It does not have the Arctic Power Valves on the cylinders. Hallstrom explained that this is the replacement for the 550 liquid engine to be used in the F chassis.--quote from AMSnow

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
maximumsled.com's is inncorrect in stating that it is the same engine as the F5. Amsnow's buyers guide shows the engine even having 34mm round slides, but case reed design. Like I said before, the info so far is vague. Just have to wait to see one or get the scoop from dealer. Thanks guys for speculating with me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts