Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did i miss sumthing? Y does the F5 have 105HP and the sabercat only has 80HP???? I got this from cats site.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
The Sabercat 500 motor is a non-exhaust valve motor. Cheaper to build & operate (no APV oil required), but you lose horsepower :angry:

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
I dont see why the sabercat600 and 700 use the same engines as the firecats and then this one does not. Fromt he saber cat to the f5 just the addition of powervalves, exhaust temp sensor, and flat slides can add 25 horsepower? thats a big difference for the little change involed i though 93 horse on the saber cat would have been more realistic, but 25 horse less? thats a bigger gap than the f6 and the f7 horsepower and the f6 gives up 100cc and the saber cat and the f5 both have 500cc? does sound right to me.

·
Registered
745 Posts
i was pretty sad to see them put that engine in. But i can't blame them, if someone doesn't want to hassle with the APV's and doesnt care about the extra hp and just wants to ride, i can see where they are coming from.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Originally posted by SDF7RIDER@Mar 26 2003, 09:45 PM
also that the saberCats are just like the old zl's they have always been down on Hp. saberCat= Trails sled
so you are assuming that the f6 will have more hp than a sabercat 6?

·
Super Moderator
2,521 Posts
Cat didn't make 'detuned hp engines' for the ZL's!! If the engines were the 'same' (800 APV, 600 APV, etc..) they were the same HP....... They often used the same clutching setup.

The major differences between ZR's and ZL's (mechanically) were:

3 wheels in the rear-axle vs 4 in the ZR (were they onto something here? Like the Firecat - less wheels. hmmmm.....)

shocks & springs

coupled ZR's (starting in 2002) vs non-coupled ZL's (hmmm... a lot of us are back to non-coupled Firecats)

The construction of the ZL front suspension (the ZR uses semi-straight chrom-moly bars tig welded and the ZL's used more of a 'bent' bar that didn't have as many welds).

I may have missed something minor - but I think those are the major differences. The ZL was just a trail-friendly version of the ZR.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Always the possibility that Suzuki has some of the non valved 500 engines they wanna clear out.[/b]
That is not possible since any leftover engines would require MASSIVE retooling just to work in the F Chassis. The exhaust and the intake on are on the same side of the engine, plus all the motor mounts are different. These are NOT engines that were lying around, but a cheap option.

I, too am perplexed about ONLY 80hp from this mill. Unless there is a HUGE price difference, why buy it? I mean, not everyone even cares about the power, but if you could be something with 30hp more for not much of a price difference, you would be foolish not to. IMO

·
Registered
146 Posts
:eek: That's the difference boys!!! Take a look at the price. There is a huge difference!!! The sabercat 500 lists for less then a 500 classic where as the
600 & 700 sabercats are way more at list then the 600 & 700 classic!!!
This is obviously there price breaker and I think it will work, I already know of
quite a few people who have ordered it just because of price!!!

Don't forget we all here ride f7's and want 140hp in a 470lb chassis, not everyone wants that, they just want to go for a cruise.

I think the sabercat 500 is the best bang for your buck in the cat lineup.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Originally posted by Davey_Boy@Mar 26 2003, 10:19 PM
I dont see why the sabercat600 and 700 use the same engines as the firecats and then this one does not. Fromt he saber cat to the f5 just the addition of powervalves, exhaust temp sensor, and flat slides can add 25 horsepower? thats a big difference for the little change involed i though 93 horse on the saber cat would have been more realistic, but 25 horse less? thats a bigger gap than the f6 and the f7 horsepower and the f6 gives up 100cc and the saber cat and the f5 both have 500cc? does sound right to me.
I would have to say there are also some differences in the port timing as well, not just the addition of valves etc to make the F5 have more than the 80 horse of the sabercat 500.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
The SaberCat 500 is billed as AC's latest entry level sled.
Less tech=less HP & Less $ to retail.
It's aimed to fill the void left after dropping all the entry level ZR chassis based sleds.
Perhaps later we'll see a 105 hp 500 Sabercat introduced???

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Originally posted by Davey_Boy@Mar 26 2003, 10:19 PM
just the addition of powervalves, exhaust temp sensor, and flat slides can add 25 horsepower? thats a big difference for the little change involed
Plus less cc's if you start comparing this engine to the valved 6's and 7's

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I am one of those who are thankful Cat put this 500 in their line-up. I need super dependability and low cost. My experiences dictate I may never again buy another Cat motor with a valved engine. I need a sled capable of multi thousand a year miles with zero down time and very low maintenence.
What do I do with the money I save?????
Buy a second low cost sled and run two new sleds each winter. Plus I have enough money left over to take several tours thru Quebec and five long vacations off during the winter. So while your at work, your 900cc, mega bucks sled is in the garage, your VISA is maxed, stop and think of me, happily zinging along trail #35 in Quebec. Forget quarter mile ET numbers and speed numbers. Try these numbers: 80 HP, $5,800, 7,000 miles a year!!
mike

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
In the new pride mag it says that the only difference between them if no apv's and pipe sensor. I just cant see how there is 25 horse less from one 500 engine to the other engine if one is just witout apv's and the pipe sensor.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Originally posted by captain@Mar 27 2003, 08:51 AM
Always the possibility that Suzuki has some of the non valved 500 engines they wanna clear out.
That is not possible since any leftover engines would require MASSIVE retooling just to work in the F Chassis. The exhaust and the intake on are on the same side of the engine, plus all the motor mounts are different. These are NOT engines that were lying around, but a cheap option.

I, too am perplexed about ONLY 80hp from this mill. Unless there is a HUGE price difference, why buy it? I mean, not everyone even cares about the power, but if you could be something with 30hp more for not much of a price difference, you would be foolish not to. IMO [/b][/quote]
makes sense......I never considered the "lay down engine" thing

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Last I knew, Power valves didn't increase HP numbers on an engine-they increased low end and midrange grunt and decreased noise levels as well as improved fuel economy but when the valve is wide open-it's just like it isn't even there. <_<

1 - 20 of 41 Posts