Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off all,
We have snow! Lots of snow. About 15” out on the Red Top. Groomers and Clubs are out getting the trails ready.
The Mille Lacs Drift-skippers report: The Soo Line has been groomed thru Aitkin and Mille Lacs Counties. The Red Top was groomed last night. The East Side Trail will be groomed tonite. Swamps are rolled and next weeks cold weather should help set them up.
Riding should be good for SNOWFEST. Ride smart and ride safe

Attachments

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Secondly,

S.N.O.W.FEST is back at Mugg's of Mille Lacs and bigger then ever, join us for a vintage snowmobile rally in the morning. NEW THIS YEAR IS ON SITE SNOWMAKING!! The afternoon will bring the Wahkon World Premier of several snowmobile movies. WE HOPE TO SEE YOU THERE.

Saturday, Dec 14, 2019
"Snow -or- No Snow"
10AM to 5PM

SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
10-12 Noon ~ Old School Snowmobile Films
10-11 ~ VINTAGE SNOWMOBILE REGISTRATION
10 ~ Silent Auction Bidding Opens
11- 3 VINTAGE SNOWMOBILE SHOW (judging @1:30 - [email protected]) !!WORLD’S FIRST VINTAGE SLED SHOW with SNOWMAKING!!
12 Noon~ FILM FESTIVAL- " The Wahkon World Premier
1PM - NEW - Snowmobile Trivia - Prizes
3:30 Silent Auction Closes
4;30 Award to Best Film
ALL DAY - Door Prizes

VINTAGE CLASSES
BEST VINTAGE COSTUME(no entry fee)
CUTTER
ANTIQUE 68 & before
VINTAGE 69-74
VINTAGE 75-80
CLASSIC 81-90
Custom/Rat Rod
RACE
SURVIVOR -(all years - unrestored original)
BEST in S.N.O.W.(People's Choice)
$5 entry per sled / $20 4 or more

! Come join the fun!!

More info at www.snowfest.club

Attachments

·
Registered
966 Posts
Vintage snowmobile shows are fun, and I haven’t been to one in several years.

Will there be new model demo sleds for the general public to ride? If so, I’ll bring my helmet.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Vintage snowmobile shows are fun, and I haven’t been to one in several years.

Will there be new model demo sleds for the general public to ride? If so, I’ll bring my helmet.
If it's like years past, there has been a couple new sleds on display but not demo rides. Have to see if rob chimes in on this.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We got another 5 -6 inches today on top of last weeks foot plus. I put a quick 60 miles on this afternoon . The trails are amazing.
I saw the groomer out on the Soo Line. The club bought a new 12’ foot drag. It lays down a perfectly flat ribbon.
Just got word from the Groomer that today they have groomed the Soo Line in Mille Lacs & Aitkin counties, the Red Top Loop all swamps are rolled. The Eastside Trail will be groomed tomorrow night.
It should be excellent riding for SNOWFEST this Saturday,
(Pic from Red Top tonite)

·
Registered
2014 Ski Doo 600
706 Posts
Enjoy it

Res top is some of the best riding the state has. Take the mcalpin loop out of isle
That is THE way to go but going that way and coming into Red Top from the south side means you cross those big swamps. I wonder how they will be. If this cold will get them in shape by Saturday to ride. Don't think they will be good enough for the groomers to travel on for a while. They will be good enough for a sled but probably rough.

·
Registered
513 Posts
That is THE way to go but going that way and coming into Red Top from the south side means you cross those big swamps. I wonder how they will be. If this cold will get them in shape by Saturday to ride. Don't think they will be good enough for the groomers to travel on for a while. They will be good enough for a sled but probably rough.
You are correct, those swamps can be a bugger. I haven't been across that yet but as much as they have rolled them you might be surprised how smooth that can make it.

·
Registered
2014 Ski Doo 600
706 Posts
You are correct, those swamps can be a bugger. I haven't been across that yet but as much as they have rolled them you might be surprised how smooth that can make it.
I have been across them when they were like a superhighway. Moderately ok but watch for the couple small streams that haven't filled in that will make for an unpleasant surprise if you don't know they are there. And been across them when you could barely go five miles an hour and you gritted your teeth at every bump as there was hardly enough snow. I would hazard a guess that there is plenty of snow and crossing should be fine. Just not groomed and in the superhighway category. I am fairly certain I am going up so we will see what we will see.

·
Registered
2014 Ski Doo 600
706 Posts
Three of us Headed that way Saturday morning.
Nice day for a shakedown ride.
Anyone looking to ride welcome to tag along!
New area for me!!
Anyone else thinking of going up to ride there Saturday? Best place to park is the Drift Skippers parking lot in Isle. Lots of parking and the Sioux Line runs across the end of the parking lot. Five miles back to Wahkon. Gas in both directions. Restaurant within walking distance of the parking lot.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I have been across them when they were like a superhighway. Moderately ok but watch for the couple small streams that haven't filled in that will make for an unpleasant surprise if you don't know they are there. And been across them when you could barely go five miles an hour and you gritted your teeth at every bump as there was hardly enough snow. I would hazard a guess that there is plenty of snow and crossing should be fine. Just not groomed and in the superhighway category. I am fairly certain I am going up so we will see what we will see.
Yep, definitely have to watch those flowages within a mile east of munkelwitz road. A couple years ago we actually slightly adjusted the trail there to go across in a narrower spot.

·
Registered
2014 Ski Doo 600
706 Posts
What is the dirt road that runs across that one wide open stretch? Can't really see it is a dirt road until you are almost up to it. Gentle rise to the road and wide and flat on either side. I jumped that at about sixty one day. Wasn't intending to. That was a Yahooooooo moment.

X2700. If you guys are coming up what time are you planning on getting there and where are you parking. I will tag along. I have color maps for everyone of the area. Could go over to Solona also. Anyone else coming?

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
I was up there last weekend and rode. It was a blast and felt like end of the season riding. Had to cross a number of creeks, wide open areas of water, etc. Sleds came back muddy. But it was a great 100 miles for my Bday weekend!

·
Premium Member
2019 Pros switchback
2,506 Posts
What is the dirt road that runs across that one wide open stretch? Can't really see it is a dirt road until you are almost up to it. Gentle rise to the road and wide and flat on either side. I jumped that at about sixty one day. Wasn't intending to. That was a Yahooooooo moment.

X2700. If you guys are coming up what time are you planning on getting there and where are you parking. I will tag along. I have color maps for everyone of the area. Could go over to Solona also. Anyone else coming?
Our plan is to be at the parking lot in isle at 9:00am? I believe its the lot you are talking about?
See you there!!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts