1 - 20 of 183 Posts

·
Premium Member
MY21 650 SBA 146, ES, ICE Storm 1.5
7,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
September 14, 2022
Linked in FAQ

S-22-09 Stop Sale, Stop Ride MY21-23 Matryx, MY15-22 Axys, SOME MY13-14 Trail Performance Pro-Ride
Here is the Polaris Help Center Article about this recall: S-22-09 Help Center

"Can I still place an order for a snowmobile or purchase one from a dealer?

Dealers will not be able to finalize the sale of a snowmobile and release it to a customer until that snowmobile has undergone the necessary fix."

What I believe to be the affected MY13-14 Pro-Ride Models is in a table at the end of this post.

This Recall does NOT affect any carbureted Polaris snowmobiles (all 120/550). They have a non-electric fuel pump that is NOT in the fuel tank.

from the Polaris Recall website:
Polaris sent an email to all owners of the affected snowmobiles that are registered thru Polaris. This was done during the last week of August 2022.

Polaris Off-Road-Recalls lookup your snowmobile by VIN# or year and model.
Owners of most MY23 fuel injected sleds will need to type in their VIN#, you cannot lookup by model.

Recall Summary
STOP SALE / STOP RIDE
Recall Number: S-22-09
Posting Date: 1/8/2022
Expiration Date: 1/12/2039
NHTSA Recall Number:

Remedy
POLARIS HAS DETERMINED THAT WITH DEGRADED FUEL AND ESPECIALLY AFTER EXTENDED STORAGE, MODEL YEAR 2021-2023 MATRYX, 2015-2022 AXYS, AND SELECT MODEL YEAR 2013-2014 TRAIL PERFORMANCE (PRO-RIDE) SNOWMOBILES MAY POSE A RISK OF FIRE DUE TO ELECTROSTATIC DISCHARGE (ESD) INSIDE THE FUEL TANK. UNDER SPECIFIC CONDITIONS, VAPORS MAY BE IGNITED INSIDE THE FUEL TANK, POSING A POTENTIAL INJURY HAZARD TO CONSUMERS. CONSUMERS SHOULD IMMEDIATELY STOP USING THE IMPACTED UNITS. POLARIS IS CURRENTLY EVALUATING A COMPREHENSIVE ACTION PLAN TO CORRECT THIS CONCERN AT NO COST TO CONSUMERS AND WILL CONTACT AFFECTED CONSUMERS ONCE DETERMINED. DO NOT ATTEMPT ANY REPAIRS YOURSELF. IF A RIDER NEEDS TO START THEIR SNOWMOBILE, THEY MUST MAKE SURE THE FUEL TANK IS FULL AND, IF IT IS NOT, THEN THEY NEED TO ADD FRESH GASOLINE TO FILL THE TANK.
---------------------------------

The Stop Sale portion of this Safety Recall indicates that new Polaris snowmobiles can not be warranty registered by a Polaris dealer if the fix has not been performed by the dealer or on the Polaris factory production line.

---------------------------------

The cause: A potential for degraded/old fuel to ignite in certain circumstances including partly full fuel tank, related to electro-static discharge. According to the official Polaris announcement, there have been 30 reports of fuel tank ruptures in that decade-long period, including 16 with fire and one with an injury, but the number of vehicles affected by this announcement is an amazing 230,000 snowmobiles. That includes all Matryx and Axys chassis sleds plus trail-performance Pro-Ride sleds from 2013-14.

(NOTE: Not carbureted snowmobiles: No electric fuel pump.)

Separate from the official announcement that is posted above, a Polaris official emailed the snowmobile media today and said the following:

“As with all our stop rides, owners of affected snowmobiles should not ride until we can provide a validated solution and they get work completed with a Polaris-authorized dealer on the repair. If the snowmobile must be started, we are telling customers they must first make sure the fuel tank is full and, if it is not, then they need to add fresh gasoline to fill the tank.”

The email continued: “We recognize the importance of the upcoming winter season. Our teams have identified a solution and are currently validating that fix, so our riders can get full enjoyment out of the upcoming riding season. We understand and apologize to our dealers and riders for this inconvenience, but safety is the driver behind our decision, and we are committed to making this right.”

This Stop Ride / Stop Sale affects 230,000 affected Polaris snowmobiles. MY21-23 Matryx, MY15-22 Axys, MY13-14 Trail-Performance Pro-Ride.

Let's calculate the number of incident reports as a percentage based on the 230,000 snowmobiles affected in this concern:

0.013%
30 reports of fuel tank ruptures

0.0069% 16 fires

0.00043% 1 injury

-------

MY13-14 PRO-RIDE snowmobiles that are subject to this recall... I think.

The sleds in the table below,
are equipped with a 2204726 electric fuel pump assembly with a "Sock" style pickup, NOT a "Smart Valve" style pickup. They They are subject to this recall.

MY15up PRO-RIDE trail & mountain sleds with Fuel Injected engines,
only used the "Sucker Foot" style pickup 2204727 electric fuel pump assembly. MY10-12 PRO-RIDE sleds used a 2520951(600) 2521107(800) electric fuel pump assembly with a "sock" style pickup. They are not subject to this recall.

YearModel NameNotes - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
2013600 SWITCHBACK ADVENTURE
2013800 SWITCHBACK PRO-R/ES/INTL
/RETRO/LE All OPTIONS
2013600 RUSH/ES
2013800 RUSH/ES
2013600 RUSH PRO R/ES/INTL/RETRO
2013800 RUSH PRO-R ALL OPTIONS
2013600 SWITCHBACK/ES
2013800 SWITCHBACK/ES
2013600 SWITCHBACK PRO-R/ES/INTL
/RETRO
2014600 SWITCHBACK ADVENTURE
2014800 SWITCHBACK ADVENTURE
2014600 RUSH PRO R/ES/INTL
2014800 RUSH PRO R ALL OPTIONS
2014600 SWITCHBACK/ES
2014800 SWITCHBACK/ES
2014600 SWITCHBACK PRO R/ES/INTL
2014800 SWITCHBACK PRO R/ES/INT
/LE ALL OPTIONS

AXYS affected sleds.
NOTE: I don't think disconnecting fuel gauge wires will be an effective solution. Many sleds with mechanical gauges are on this recall list. Here's one example: The MY16 Axys 800 Pro-RMK 163 has a mechanical fuel gauge in the cap. It has the 2205619 Elec. fuel pump RMK with sock filter (Pump Flange Assembly / PFA). All Axys Mountain (MY16-22, 49 major models) have this 2205619 PFA and a mechanical fuel gauge cap, and all are on this Polaris Recall list.

Font Line Parallel Auto part Rectangle

This is a diagram and specs of a Matryx Pump Flange Assembly (PFA). It was used in MY21-22 Matryx flatland snowmobiles. The part numbers are different for 650 and 850 due to different fuel pressure regulator settings, as you can see in the specs. You will notice the fuel pump itself, which is grounded, is located high in the fuel tank, near the neck. When liquid fuel is at a low level in the tank, it may not be touching the grounded fuel pump. If it built up an electrostatic charge, it could discharge upward to the grounded fuel pump. A bad ground connection on the pump, could cause an energized pump to have the load jump across the bad ground connection. I am not saying this is happening, but that it COULD happen.

The wiring to this Matryx PFA is unusual and can be misleading, I will go thru it for each pin on the wiring connector.

Pin 1 Red Fuel pump + positive
. This is powered, thru a splice in the main harness, directly by the Power Boosting Regulator, (which is powered by the engine stator when the engine is turning over, or running) along with other devices on the Critical Power Circuit (14 volts). NO fuse, No relay.

Pin 2 Black Fuel pump - ground
. This ground goes thru a 15 amp. fuse in Load Center / Fuse / Relay box. From there it is connected to the ECU which turns this ground on or off.

Pin 3 Green Fuel level sender positive
. This receives positive from the gauge. The amount of amperage / electrical flow on this wire, going thru the rheostat in the fuel sender, indicates to the gauge how much fuel is in the tank.

Pin 4 blue Fuel Level sender ground
. This is grounded thru a splice in the harness to a ground eyelet attached to the metal chassis. This is a constant ground.

Here is a study on corrosion and conductivity of gasoline including the effects of ethanol and dissolved water. It is not an entertaining article:

The above article has 3 charts that clearly indicate that E10 fuel with dissolved water, can be 100 times more conductive of electricity than 100% gasoline.

Stale E10 fuel often has absorbed water from the air, and might have phase separation of the ethanol carrying dissolved water, when the ethanol has absorbed all the water that it can hold. At that point the ethanol will no longer be mixed with the gasoline and will sink to a layer at the bottom of the fuel tank.

·
Brand loyal, not brand blind
15,294 Posts
So is a 2020 Indy 137 XC850 included? Not really any different than a Matryx fuel system wise.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Another epic Polaris failure! Seems like a minor issue, but can they ever get things right?
did you read the % of failure? I have a higher chance of getting hit by lightening every time it rains than having my sled catch fire because of this. Sucks that it has to be issued though...but won't stop me from missing and sledding time.

·
Premium Member
7,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I strongly encourage everyone to use the link in post #1, to check the Polaris recall list. You can enter your VIN#, (from your sled state/province registration card), or enter Year and Model, to display Polaris Recalls for your sled.

Reactions: Json

·
Premium Member
7,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
S-22-09 Stop Sale Stop Ride Post #1

Made some changes to S-22-09 Stop Sale Stop Ride Post#1 linked above

added information about the MY13-14 Pro-Ride models affected, in a table towards the bottom of the Post.

·
Premium Member
7,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
S-22-09 Stop Sale Stop Ride Post #1

Made some changes to S-22-09 Stop Sale Stop Ride Post#1 linked above

added information near the bottom of the post about why I don't think disconnecting fuel gauge wires will be an effective solution.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
1 injury? They must have had an amazing lawyer to get this kind of reaction. The percentage is mind blowingly low. But from a liability stand point I'm sure they have to do something. I have personally seen probably 20 sleds burn since I've been riding snowmobiles and don't remember there ever being a recall issued on any of those? I own 3 sleds affected and there is no way I'm not going to ride them when snow flies lol. If I was worried about this, I'd never leave my bed, go to work, drive, get in a tree stand, and so on...

·
Registered
643 Posts
Wonder why ALL the manufacturers haven't had to initiate a world wide recall on any powersports machines that had a carburetor with a bad needle and seat that filled the engine up with gas, and could cause a fire?

·
Vendor
11,452 Posts
i have a 2015 assault 800 at my shop. 2 indy 600 pro-rides. no electric fuel gauge in these and are not part of the recall? sure looking like the fuel gauge is the issue here? everything else at my shop 35 more sleds counting our 3 are all part of it and all have a electric fuel gauge.

1 - 20 of 183 Posts