Hardcore Sledder banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I must be spoiled with my F7, because I couldn't believe how disappointing :( a 6 mile test ride on an RX-1 was. I wanted my sled back within the first mile. :lol:
The handling was very sloppy, and the rear suspension would bottom out with any sign of a mogal, and onced it bottom out it would rebound so fast that if thought I was on a bucking bronco. Once you got the thing to spool up, you need a parachue to slow it down. I felt bad because I didn't have one good thing to say. It might make a great Canada sled, but we ditch bang in NY. All n all those tuning fork guys got some work to do. Maybe I was expecting to much, NOT! My F7 always leaves a smile on my face. :D

·
Registered
174 Posts
Why a company would build THE heaviest machine when the times are for building the lightest machines is beyond me. I just can't see that sled handling as good as the newest sleds out today. Why buy a heavy, slow sled for (heard of people spending 10k) is beyond me, but consistant with the mentality you have to have to own a Yamaha. Only good thing Yamaha makes that are good are piano's.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Something wrong here guys, I rode one for the first time this week in the UP I was very impressed with how light it felt. Not at all what I expected Turns good very smooth & quiet The way it accelerates reminds me of a automatic on a car You all know I am a die hard cat man & nothing runs like a F7 but if they fine tune this sled we will have some to reckon with I feel I could do wonders with this sled even though I dont want one

·
Registered
166 Posts
byoff,

I am with you..being non-brand partial...I also rode one and found it not at all feeling heavy..rear skid was OK,not great...but that powerplant was unreal..and the quality and quiet rattle free ride made me wonder if I made the right choice, considering the guys that bought RX1's have had a pretty trouble free season..more than we can say.

PS- Firecat...your mentality comment.....many of my friends drive Yamahas and a couple of SRX friends have handed me my ass this season (over 100mph they smoke), maybe it's brand loyal fools like you who need an IQ test.

·
Registered
70 Posts
just keep in mind fellas...that sleds are built for different reasons. An RX-1 is more in competetion with a Thundercat...than it is with a Firecat. Its a powerful, open trail, or lake sled......its not made for out of the hole acceleration. The SRX is a lake rocket...pure and simple. If I were going to ride in Quebec....I'd take an RX-1 or a T Cat anyday over my F7. Going to play on the lake with the boys....and see who can get to the other side first.....the SRX would be my first choice......but a sled that can handle the bumps....keep up with the other guys on highway trails in Canada....or do 110+mph lake runs....I'd take my F7. There are sleds that do individual things better.....but overall the F7 does many things well

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Took the words right out of my mouth RON!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
4,357 Posts
I was rode one this weekend as well. I was very impressed with the fit and finish of the sled ( cat could learn a thing or two about fit and finish).. Overall I actually liked the sled nice smooth power once you got rolling I just couldn't help playing with the throttle( luv that sound) .. The front end did feel a little on the heavy side and the rear suspension was a little stiff but it wasn't set up for my weight but I didnt run it thru any large bumps to see how it would compare to my F7... Over all it is a nice sled for what it was designed for... I would rather have my F7 any day tho even with all the little annoying updates...

·
Registered
174 Posts
Originally posted by Mikelp@Feb 8 2003, 09:46 PM
byoff,

I am with you..being non-brand partial...I also rode one and found it not at all feeling heavy..rear skid was OK,not great...but that powerplant was unreal..and the quality and quiet rattle free ride made me wonder if I made the right choice, considering the guys that bought RX1's have had a pretty trouble free season..more than we can say.

PS- Firecat...your mentality comment.....many of my friends drive Yamahas and a couple of SRX friends have handed me my ass this season (over 100mph they smoke), maybe it's brand loyal fools like you who need an IQ test.
My opinion, is considering what the market is doing these days, the RX-1 is more a demostration on what Yamaha can do, more than the right sled for what the market desires. Will be a expensive dud IMHO. Argue all you want, it's my opinion, and you know what they say about opinions :)

Talk about taking care of your customers, Wheels of O has a NEW RX-1 on the floor for $7300, so think of the guys who spent $10k on these this year and how they feel. Weight is weight, doesn't really matter how it feels, it is still there and will be apparent in the bumps IMHO.

I personally lost all respect for Yamaha when they stole ski-doo's and polaris's front end design back in 1997. New style old stuff, Lame. Study the marketshare that Yamaha has now VS. 5 years ago, and you will see where they are heading.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I rode one as well. I was pretty impressed. Someone mentioned earlier they don't know why Yamaha would build the heaviest sled when the times are to build the lightest sled. But, remember the times are actually to build a "cleaner burning" sled as well. Therefore the 4 stroke. I think the RX-1 is a very important sled to our sport. It is the first real performance 4 stroke to date. It is hopefully paving the way for AC to put Suzuki's 1100cc 4 stroke motor in a sled. Personally I thought the RX-1 felt great. It didn't seem haevy, and was pretty fast as well. Although I did notice it wasn't particularly fast off the line, it had a very smooth power band, and very smooth acceleration from top to bottom. Just my 2 cents! Although I've been told its only worth a penny.

·
Registered
146 Posts
:eek: I'm not sure about these Canada remarks, 2 years ago I rode in the states at the hometown tour ride,
it was a BLAST but I spent all day waiting for these so called Super American drivers to catch up. Not being
a DICK but some of us up here like to drive HARD. Ever heard of Blair Morgan, Karl Kuster, Jeremy Johnson, Earl Riemer & Mike Island just to name a few!!! And your observations of the RX-1 are perfect and we
don't want them or any other Yamaha up here!!! I ride with a VIPER every day. Believe me if that is their
FLAG SHIP, it's time for a company overhaul!!!! :lol: :lol:

dt

·
Registered
488 Posts
My riding buddy has an RX-1 and we swap sleds often,,, Out of the box it didnt handle that great but after he got it dialed in it goes great, handles very good and the ride isnt all that bad. Yes I do think it feels heavy in the bumps. It goes like hell, he ran on the lake a couple of weeks ago, three F7s and his RX-1 and we were all in a group for a half mile in packed snow, so I'm not sure where you guys are that are smoking the RX-1s every time out we sure didnt.

And the worst part is my RX-1 buddy is putting on miles and my sled is in the shop with the Mag side gone, 850 miles, just to find out there is a notice to fix oil pumps to correct the problems..... I love my F7, more every time I ride it, but right now a RX-1 looks pretty good.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
my only coment to this is, these are not clean burning 4-strokes
1= no catylitic converter
2= no 02 sensor
3= doubt if there is a mass air flow sensor
4= they have carbs

2 stroke direct injection is cleaner, proven by outboard motors

·
Registered
348 Posts
Come on guys you know the next thing has got to be SDI type motor from AC! 06 emmissions lega and no loss of performance.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Every one talks about the weight of the RX1 but the cat 660 4 stroke is almost as heavy & dont run . When cat comes with a Hi per. 4 stroke I,ll try one of them also. Granted I,ll keep 2 -2strokes also but I think it will be great if used what it is meant for. Its called progress.I am old enough that I remember when they ran a Briggs & Stratton on them & when 2 strokes came we wondered WTH & that was progress so lets keep try new things .

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
QUOTE (Mikelp @ Feb 8 2003, 09:46 PM)
byoff,

what a load of crap, i am far from "brand" loyal.... this is my first cat ever. Over 100 mph?? SO does every single cat..... my two riding buddies ride a sxviper and a rx1 and i have never ever been handed my ass.... LONG lakes are common sense.... but trails, i wait about 5 minutes at the other end. The thing is heavy and the suspension still sucks. Ride a yammy in the real rough stuff and then come talk to me. I had a 98 sx 700 with triple aaen pipes.... great sled, fast smooth...sucked in rough stuff

Its not about being loyal, its all about common sense. If you want a lake machine with great gas and oil milage ( lol ) then the rx-1 is awesome ( i love there lights and tach )

but if you want a real snowmobile, trails, climbs, water, jumps, lakes - over all super star... F7 all the way. Still just my opinion but it also makes sense

we have no groomers or wide trails here and the rx-1 in the rough twisties was horrible, seat felt like a plank...

Or we can just wait to see how the fair in snow cross or drags for that matter.......

oh yea.... thats right

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I am not sure how some of you can slam the RX-1 considering the problems we have had with the Firecat. Don't get me wrong, I love my Firecat. However, I never had the rust on my 2 SRX's that I have on my shocks and susp. of my Firecat. And yes I haul it in an enclosed trailer.

The Yamaha has better paint, fit, and finish. Yes it is heavy, but the dozens and dozens of guys running them in Canada seem to love them. I guess some guys buy sleds to "ditch bang", but I buy a sled to rack up miles on fast, smooth trails. I guess if there weren't any groomed trails around, I would have to try this ditch banging thing.

As for Yamaha's market share, it has grown slightly the last couple years. And that is all they want with all the other divisions they have.

We can't afford to throw any stones considering the long list of recalls and bulletins on the F-7.

Now, someone tell me there is going to be a F8 or F9 next year. That will be scary. :eek:

·
Premium Member
3,765 Posts
Originally posted by Ultrastryk@Feb 9 2003, 03:39 PM
I am not sure how some of you can slam the RX-1 considering the problems we have had with the Firecat. Don't get me wrong, I love my Firecat. However, I never had the rust on my 2 SRX's that I have on my shocks and susp. of my Firecat. And yes I haul it in an enclosed trailer.

The Yamaha has better paint, fit, and finish. Yes it is heavy, but the dozens and dozens of guys running them in Canada seem to love them. I guess some guys buy sleds to "ditch bang", but I buy a sled to rack up miles on fast, smooth trails. I guess if there weren't any groomed trails around, I would have to try this ditch banging thing.

As for Yamaha's market share, it has grown slightly the last couple years. And that is all they want with all the other divisions they have.

We can't afford to throw any stones considering the long list of recalls and bulletins on the F-7.

Now, someone tell me there is going to be a F8 or F9 next year. That will be scary. :eek:
i like my firecat. (NO PROBLEMS!!)
plus i like to buy amercan.... the jap's have never done anything
for me,.........yea,yea,yea, i know it has a jap built motor.
but the rest was made in america....... i like to support AMERICA!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.