Hardcore Sledder banner

Running Boards Staying Clear of Snow and Ice

1K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  Nick 
#1 ·
My first couple of rides on my F7 I only had the flat, grip plates on my sled, and I was impressed at how the running boards stayed clear of snow and ice, compared to my riding buddies.

Yesterday I also installed a set of the Cross Country Edge Grip Plates. I have to admit, I did it because I really liked the way they looked, and thought a little added protection to the running board heat exchangers couldn't hurt.

I was just wondering if anyone who has either both sets of grip plates, or even just the edge grip plates, noticed any difference in the ability of the heat exchangers to keep the ice and snow off the running boards. We are going riding in a couple of weeks and I was just wondering what to expect.

Think snow. ;)

#4 ·
Switta,

Have you taken the seat off yet? its only one bolt and its the one in the trunk of the sled, do not take the white straps off though! Once its off you can check it out.

You probbaly could seal it up but im not sure, i dont know how the ice devopes anyway i dont think any snow gets under the seat to melt?

#7 ·
Same mini glacier problems here....I have the AC running board grip plates...installed them after I just about flew off the sled on my first jump. The running boards are like polished glass with no traction add ons. Overall the rest of the running board stays pretty clear....except around the reinforced area. Noticed a small amout of water just behind the seat.....assuming that snow gets on the small part of the tunnel thats exposed between the seat and tail light......allowing water to run down onto the sides of the tunnel........I've only noticed this in powder....of in high snow dust conditions like we had in VT this weekend

#8 ·
I was just going to mention that I am not having this problem, then I read greenmtnF7's post. I have the trunk bag on my sled, so maybe that explains why I don't see the stalagtities and stalagmites that some are seeing.

#10 ·
I have AC edge grips and drilled half inch hole in the foot area of the running boards and used a flare tool to make grips the left side stays pretty clean but the right side tends to freeze up a bit. Since the heat exchangers cause the snow to melt, it acts like icicles on your roof. When the water moves away from the heat source it freezes. The flared holes give the water, snow and ice a place to escape and make it easy to kick out.

#12 ·
The reason there is ice forming on the sides of the tunnel is because of the massive rear exchanger, which actaually butts right up to the seat. Where the heat exchanger is they actually cut away the tunnel from what it looks like.. Water/ and or snow gets under the seat from the rear, ( between the seat and the tail lamp). It then passes to the edge of the seat to drip down. But at that location it is too cold so it freezes. When i ride with my trunk bag it eliminated 95% of the problem. I only have a little ice on the rear cornes of the seat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.