Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I havent been able to ride yet - due to lack of snow! I was looking over my sled and tried to perform the cooling system bleeding advisory posted earlier. After 5 minutes of running the engine the runnning board was still cold so I shut her down. Anyone else experience this ? Should I just let it run longer ? Thanks.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Mine took around 8-10 minutes before they started heating up.

Kevin

·
Registered
4 Posts
check how hot the head is getting.. REAL hot and you have an airlock. Did the coolant level in the tank drop after you shut it down? Are you leaving the cap at #1 position as per the bulletin?

·
Registered
562 Posts
After only putting on a few miles on my sled I've noticed that it does take approx. 10 minutes of idling time to come up to temperature. Yes, it has been re-burped according to the service bulletin. Then for the first few miles just take it easy, provided you don't have air pockets in the cooling system, you shouldn't have problems.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had it on the 1st position and no the head wasnt very HOT. I will let it run a little longer tonite. Thanks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
These sleds have a coolant bypass system where the coolant will only flow in the engine until the temperature comes up to a high enough and the thermostat opens. The coolant will then flow into the rest of the coolant lines and coolers. Only after the thermostat cracks open will you feel heat in the heat exchangers. This is also the reason why you have to fully warm the sled up when you burp for air bubbles. I hope this makes sense.

Yetii

·
Registered
580 Posts
What yeti said..plus remember it is reverse cooling, left side heats up first then the right side. Due to the huge rear heat exchanger it takes 8-10 before the thermostat opens at idle, run the rpms up to around 3000-3500 to get the engine up to temp...

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I've heard several times that the left running board exchanger heats up first. My right side always seems to feel warmer than the left. I've done the burping procedure and I have over 300 miles on my sled-any ideas on why this is?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I was just up on the Gunflint trail in MN with a new F-5 (not completely serviced out) and found it took a minimum of 10 minutes ideling and a couple of minutes driving slow before the right side hose leading to the right side edge grip exchanger became warm. The head was plenty warm for a long time before the coolant actually circulated. lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts