Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Panther2006 here

I was reading back through older posts that were posted by members. There was one on the legislation(Law).
Why not start now. add to this post why or Why not

My opinion
Yes we need some rules. Snowmobiles today have huge power in conparsion to when I was 14. The 12 hp elan was the power house then, with a top speed of app. 50 mph. With that power I experenced several painful events. We would build jumps, big jumps too. I once constructed a jump, of a huge 3 foot height. I think I got 3 feet of the groung and went app 10 feet. WoW. Last winter I watch Kids(YES KIDS) jump off manmade ramps 18 feet high, Snowmobile's in excess of 600 cc. (Stop and think).

With proper instruction from parents or Guardian, kids will turn into an excellent sledder's. With time, experence will prevail and that kid maybe able to handle todays sleds.

God be willing you will not experence a kid on your outing, with a busted head, leg or arm.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I wish there was some kind of age progression. my youngest daughter is 10, she is to big for a 120, so i would like to put her on a fan cooled 340. But law states a child must be 12, and have a safety class, So lets teach them how to drive on 120's, then make them sit out for 3 yrs, then teach them again. how stupid is that. I am going to take my daughter out on the lakes this year...if they ever freeze. I guess if we get caught, we pay the fine. JT

·
Premium Member
13,918 Posts
why do that. If you set rules on age limits, thats gonna stop alot of kids from getting interested in our sport. Why hurt it any more than it already is. If kids want to jump their sleds let them. they know their own limits, and they first time they do screw up on a landing they will learn.

·
Premium Member
'22 XCR, '17 SB Assault
131 Posts
The responsibility lies not only on the parents but also ourselves, the seasoned riders. "Raising our kids is not just the parents responsibility but also the community" Author UNK. I believe in education and not legislation. rdlit

·
Registered
165 Posts
My daughter just turned 12 and she will be taking the safety course but the problem is what to let her run a f6 is to much sled so that means buying a 340z or something similar My biggest concern is what will she do when some knucklhead comes around a blind corner on her side of the trail will she panic and grab the throttle or just freeze so remember that the next time your riding someones kid could be around the next corner

·
Registered
61 Posts
half of the "kids" hitting those jumps are better riders already than some will be in there entire life time. I disagree with setting age limits. that will only encourage them to sneak the sled out behind parents back and go hit those jumps with no one around incase of medical needs.

would you not prefer to know where your kid is and know that he is jumping? at least you can get help faster. panther2006 not to bash your idea, but do you have stats on how many sledders died off jumping sleds compared to trail, ditch, drinking and speed deaths?

edit....

as for the sizes of cc being too much that will always be a problem for everyone. i dont know about you but if your going to go out and do 100+ mph dont matter how long you have been riding or how much experince the slighest error....good night.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
mramerica and f5fan, thanks for your opinion
Sounds like responsible parenting. It take time and patience to teach our kids.

m7Man, you may be right. It looks cool to watch a 500-700 lb snowmobile flip in mid air and the snowmobile land on it housing. Luckly the kid wasn't hurt. I to sometime GAMBLE, Poker style. Those type of stunts should be done by trained/experenced people. Not some 15 yrs old kid with a new toy and friends cheering him on.

I started this post for members views on Regulations and safety issues.

Like I stated in the opening post - Why or Why not.

With all due respect to my fellow sledders - Be safe out there.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
half of the "kids" hitting those jumps are better riders already than some will be in there entire life time. I disagree with setting age limits. that will only encourage them to sneak the sled out behind parents back and go hit those jumps with no one around incase of medical needs.

would you not prefer to know where your kid is and know that he is jumping? at least you can get help faster. panther2006 not to bash your idea, but do you have stats on how many sledders died off jumping sleds compared to trail, ditch, drinking and speed deaths?
edit....

as for the sizes of cc being too much that will always be a problem for everyone. i dont know about you but if your going to go out and do 100+ mph dont matter how long you have been riding or how much experince the slighest error....good night.[/b]

Great stuff teamfawker
I to have kids, two to be exact. My son is 17 and already a much better rider than I. He is better than I because I took the time to teach proper editate to him in the young years. When I go on snowmobile ride with him, I sometime wonder why other kids are so reckless. then I realize we need some sort of rules. What kind or type I don't know.

Anyway thanks for the opinion

·
Registered
7,232 Posts
I think age limits woudl be dumb as then u are limiting new youth (the future into the sport) also disagree with setting age per cc limit as it all depends on experience.

a kid thats 10 can jump on a 340 for the first time and be deadly due to lack of experiece yes... however a kid also 10 thats been riding kitty cats and such since he was younger with a mature attitude will have no problem handling this sled..

in my opinion it woudl all be the amount of experence and common sense from parents... anyone under 16 without at least 5 years experience should not be riding 600cc sleds.... yea 5 years may seem like alot but experience is not soemthin you can get overnight over that time the sledder woudl be faced with many different challenges, near misses and create a more indepth knowledge on how to control the sled... its all about experience

just as f5fan said people need to know to to react to all scenarios they encounter.... knuckleheads thinking there blair morgan, deers out of no where, ruts, ice, water, sharp turns, hills, part failures, trees, branches, lack of snow, roads.... all of these take time and experience tto be able to handle safely everytime..

·
Registered
241 Posts
This whole idea, as logical and needed as it may be for many, is completely impractical! Look at the atv world, which is where i personally began. The cpsc (consumer products safety commission) regulated anyone under age 16 to 90cc! This has long been the single most pathetically setup law in the atv world. I challenge you to find me a 16 year old who can ride a 90cc machine without being so cramed, frustrated, and utterly disgusted by the lack of power that they give up on the sport. The same would happen with snowmobiles. I got my first snowmobile back in 2003, an 800xcsp. Brand new. Sure it was a ton of sled, but reasonable parenting lectured me 5000000000000 times about how fast it was and that i wasnt old enough to be getting myself killed. Granted i often do 100+ mph but i pick and choose my times. Parents can regulate this far better than any law that will ever be put in place. Also, as for the kids jumping sleds. I lauched my 800xcsp on my personal motorcross track just weeks after getting it, only to find that 80ft gaps werent my friend on this sled. NO matter what you do, kids will be kids, and will always try things like that. Now however, (with a grin) i have a friend with an 06 440iq, which has seen many launches over the 110ft triple in the back yard. Again, its all about being responsible and the rider themselves, not what standards should be set for ALL kids/teens. I know im only 19, which to many is still a child, but ive lost my fair share of friends in a few different ways, and let me say its always been due to ignorance, and the ignorant will never learn.

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
my son turned 7 last week so I bought him a MachZ.

J/k but I've seen pretty close to that 10 and 11 year olds on 600 liquids is too much sled. I do think I am moving him up to something bigger this year if we ever get snow. Maybe an indylite to bomb around the lake

·
Registered
344 Posts
i think the main problems are with mommy and daddy. but because not all parents teach kids the right things we have problems laws and rules not set fair to every one. but to see a younger kid get hurt, say lack of teaching is not good and could be safe for other riders. yes adults do it to but they are old enough to know better and have to pay for there owen actions. i seen a younger kid ridding having fun and did somthing wrong real wrong and when they stoped at the gas station i was glad to see his dad ripped him a new one. i have also seen to kids on a sled to fast not being wachted and it went over a 10ft fence. luckly they did not get hurt.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
There are lots of old sleds around for sale so why not buy them an old Elan or 18 HP Olympic for there first sled after a 120 of course. Make em ride what us older ones rode when we grew up they will appreciate it much more I think

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
There are lots of old sleds around for sale so why not buy them an old Elan or 18 HP Olympic for there first sled after a 120 of course. Make em ride what us older ones rode when we grew up they will appreciate it much more I think[/b]
I think you are on to something. If you are on an older sled you have to be more aware of what is going on around you. I also feel personally that if you can’t fix it you can’t ride it. You will be SOL if anything breaks while your out on your own because mommy and daddy coddled you and gave you everything.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I agree that it is more up to the parents on the guiding and teaching of safe riding practices. When I was 12 I could very easily handle the 540 vmax on my own. For a 13 year old that is a lot of power but I didn't abuse and I was always in control. If my dad didn't think I could handle it then I wouldn't have been on it. I also ride very aggresively and do alot of 'stupid' things on it and push the limits quite often but that also comes from years and years of experience and 1000's of miles even though I am only 19. Also my dad used to chain the sled down so I wouldn't take it out on my own and that way he always knew when I was on it.

If little Johny gets hurt on mommy and daddy's snow machine I would pass 90% of the blame on the parents. Sure the kid did it but where were the parents when all this happened, if speed was a factor then why did they let them on it, how did they get on it if they weren't supposed to be, etc.

It would be like giving a kid a lighter and not expecting them to light something on fire

·
Premium Member
4,003 Posts
let me say on thing, Wisconsin state law and others you have to be 12 years old to drive by yourslef and take a safty class, the kid can drive from 1 day old to 12 years old or until they ass the class with a parent with them on the sled. Yeah i would of cryed if i had to ride a 120 until i was older, get boring, thats why my dad bough a z-370 for my brother at the age of 12, then passed down to me and now my mom has it, 340' 370s are perfect ofr the first couple years i only got my 500 when i was 13, that would be 2 winter season later and here i sit with a 500 and plan on jumping to a 600 next year at the age of 16, i also think 500 are plenty fast for everybody, i am really having secon thoughts on the 600's. LAST year i seen a 12 year old or so it looked like it on a 900 cc arctic-cat zr big bore, that scared me, and when i ride i wonder whos going to come around the corner and hit me. THOSE BIG SLEDS ARE JUST TOO BIG

oh yeah my dad taught me well, i was driving sleds with him on the back scence 5 or 6, now im like a pro. i would have to say parents are responsible in most situations

1 - 20 of 66 Posts