Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone tell me why DCNR put stones on trail that runs along Rt44 from Francis to Slate Run? Couple issues I foresee:
1) prior to solid snow base, sleds will cut thru into stones creating unsafe riding conditions
2) groomers will be pulling stones to surface in marginal conditions
3) when trail snow conditions thin, the stones will absorb any heat from sun and warmer temps, quickly deteriorating trail.
Spending the trail funds wisely?

·
Registered
2014 ZR8000lxr 21-22 mileage 500mi
4,634 Posts
I could be wrong but that could be part of the "town access program" they want to use to connect ATV's to services in town.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Update: stones have been layed down a lot more if the 44 trail. Terrible move for snowmobiles! The stone is large increasing the likelyhood for sled damage. The snow doesn't get deep enough most of the time to keep stone that large covered; its not tug hill!!! Groomer will dredge it up! Very surprised the clubs allowed it without a fight. At least use a fine grade stone. Not good!!!

·
Registered
2014 ZR8000lxr 21-22 mileage 500mi
4,634 Posts
I remember when they put the stone down on the trail next to Lake superior up by Marquette. It hardly ever gets snow on it due to the proximity to the lake and it was like serious rock riding in the low snow zone. Snowmobiling is down the the list of "give a rats ass" from DNR in any state anyway. However we all will just continue to complain but not do anything about it. Won't we?

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
There's been stone north of black forest in a spot at the base of a grade for a while now. This past season it showed up in the straight narrow section just below black forest where the trail has banks along side and it was bad for a short distance. The size of stone is way to big and totally not necessary...golf ball to tennis ball size. Way overkill it seems. Very surprised the clubs didn't chime in on it. Been riding down there since the 80s coming from NY and it seems like sleds are getting squeezed in recent years with more n more plowed sections and now a layer of boulders on a fun stretch of trail.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts