Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I rolled the dice on A 03 Pro X 800 with 3300 miles. In OK condition and looks unmolested so I decided to buy it for the $800. I checked it over pretty well before I bought it but was not able to ride it due to obvious reasons. I got it home and wanted to rip it down the field and quickly found it will not rev over 6000 rpm. Also noticed it smokes excessively and I think its getting way to much oil injected so I checked out the alignment on the pump and it was actually down 1/8". Drained the tank and flushed it, cleaned the carbs, changed the plugs, removed and cleaned exhaust valves but the bellows were full of oil. Actually surprised me the amount of oil. I also checked compression and got 140 and 125? Maybe and issue there? Any ideas? Just seems to be getting way to much oil as it's coming out the exhaust on the ground as well.
20200625_125055.jpg

·
Registered
2005 polaris 700 XC-SP F/O & 1980 Polaris TX-L
1,199 Posts
Ok. Several things can cause the 6,000 rpm max. Exhaust valve bellows torn.cylinder ports that go through the cylinder to the exhaust valve base. Those ports feed the exhaust valve, to open. Clutching out of wack. Weights, springs. Posable temp senser. All though your weakest compression reading is good enough to run good. I would pull the top end of that side for sure and check for problems. Im sure you will find something. Normal compression for that 800 is 140 to 150psi. If it was me, i would pull the entire engine apart and check it all over. Put new caskets and crank seals in it along with any other damaged parts. Good luck, i love the edges.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Definitely oil rich I think. Sure does smell like oil too. Is it possible that something inside the pump failed and is over oiling causing this?

·
Registered
40,027 Posts
Did anyone fog the motor? You'll get lot of smoke till it eventually cleans out....especially now in this warm weather.
Far as it not revving past 6k, was it on the trail/lake or seen on a track stand? Make sure the bellows have no rips and are sealing well, plus all the ves compression holes in the castings and cylinders are open.

·
Premium Member
15,864 Posts
Did someone add premix to the fuel? Is pump returning to base when throttle is released? I've seen the pump lever return spring broken on these engines. If okay, then check the oil injection check valves for not holding about 2-5 psi pressure at rest.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When I listen to it run before buying it, it was on the stand. Was not able to run anywhere due to being in suburbia. I went through the VES quite thoroughly and everything checked out. It looks like he already swapped out to the standard steel ones. I did look into a fuel sample in the list that it was tarnished very badly so I ended up flushing the system and putting fresh gas in without adding any oil to it. The oil Palm seems to function properly as in returning. What are these check valves that you are talking about? Are they on the pump or on the block itself? Also what is the procedure for testing these?

·
Administrator
24,695 Posts
When I listen to it run before buying it, it was on the stand. Was not able to run anywhere due to being in suburbia. I went through the VES quite thoroughly and everything checked out. It looks like he already swapped out to the standard steel ones. I did look into a fuel sample in the list that it was tarnished very badly so I ended up flushing the system and putting fresh gas in without adding any oil to it. The oil Palm seems to function properly as in returning. What are these check valves that you are talking about? Are they on the pump or on the block itself? Also what is the procedure for testing these?
Follow the oil lines to where they terminate in the engine case and carbs. Those fittings have check valves in them and should hold light pressure, 2-4 psi, from a hand pump. If not, you will literally free flow oil into the engine. I have a sled in my fleet with this issue now, I’ve just been too lazy to test and replace them as necessary.

·
Registered
40,027 Posts
When the sled was put away for awhile its a very good idea to leave the oil reservoir cap on loosely. Pressure builds up in the tank over time if tight, and can cause the motor to fill with excessive oil if those check valves don't hold.

·
Administrator
24,695 Posts
When the sled was put away for awhile its a very good idea to leave the oil reservoir cap on loosely. Pressure builds up in the tank over time if tight, and can cause the motor to fill with excessive oil if those check valves don't hold.
Cap should vent. If oil is getting into the engine while sitting, the valves need to be replaced.

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
That's the same problematic cap used on the newer sleds.If the sled was ever on its side or the tank filled to the top they fill with oil and lock up.The need a hole drilled on the bottom side or a second breather line run directly to the tank.Did you ever notice how the cap is a total mother to get off if you run the oil tank way down?Thats because the cap isn't venting.

·
Registered
40,027 Posts
Almost every sled i've worked on with that type cap when the tank is filled to the top and stored for the off season, that cap becomes screwed on so tight it can be tough to remove months later. I always tell our guys to leave the caps loose before storing like that...just remember to snug them up when it becomes playtime.

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
Drill a tiny hole on the bottom side of the cap in the angled section and it will always vent.Just don't leave the sled on its side or oil will drip out.On the older sleds it wasn't a real issue because the engine gets plenty of oil,but on the newer sleds they don't get much oil.When the cap doesn't vent,it becomes a problem.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
I replaced my oil cap on my newer sled with the new arctic cat one. It was not venting. Summer time it was really Smokey. More than normal fogging oil. I store it with the cap loose now.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts