Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow, what a variety.

For a lot of the route, the trails were the BEST I'd ever seen; probably groomed last night, and since I left at 6AM, I was the first one on most of them. This was probably 1/3 of the trails on the way here.

The other 1/3 was cut up, slightly bumpy, and due to the overcast lighting after an extremely gorgeous sunrise with blue skis, I coudln't see shit and slowed down a lot.

Then there were the UNPLOWED FIELDS. God DAMN. I think some of you have like ZERO idea how bad it is. I tried skipping over some of them, but no speed worked except for 5-10mph. They're just so shitty; it's like crossing boulders. Why the fuck would they not just smooth out the trail area at the end of the year?

Did I see any evidence of boondocking/off trail riding? Not much, but most of it was cutting corners in a way that made MORE sense. Aka, whoever put the trails in did not do a very good job, and made the corners too sharp. BUT ITS THEIR LAND sure but I think part of the blame goes on the people putting the trails in. If they made the corners enjoyable, people would not cut. I saw a LARGE variety of trails through 3 counties this morning, some were great, some were laid out like shit.

There were also water/marsh hazards. Due to the late cold temps and snow, there are creeks,marshes, and mud pits that have not frozen over at all; tried to just floor it over them so I wouldn't get stuck. Sucks for my sled but oh well.

8/10 would go again. Will go again on friday, if trails hold out that long.

Would post epic sunrise photos, but when I got to work I realized the camera was in night mode so all the photos were 100% white. Oops.

Also got into trouble with my employer's security due to parkign the sled on company property. They claim it's a liability, so they want me to park outside the fence. What's the scoop on right of way/easements from roads? Can I just park right off the sidewalk without getting shit from the law?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Wow, what a variety.

For a lot of the route, the trails were the BEST I'd ever seen; probably groomed last night, and since I left at 6AM, I was the first one on most of them. This was probably 1/3 of the trails on the way here.

The other 1/3 was cut up, slightly bumpy, and due to the overcast lighting after an extremely gorgeous sunrise with blue skis, I coudln't see shit and slowed down a lot.

Then there were the UNPLOWED FIELDS. God DAMN. I think some of you have like ZERO idea how bad it is. I tried skipping over some of them, but no speed worked except for 5-10mph. They're just so shitty; it's like crossing boulders. Why the fuck would they not just smooth out the trail area at the end of the year?

Did I see any evidence of boondocking/off trail riding? Not much, but most of it was cutting corners in a way that made MORE sense. Aka, whoever put the trails in did not do a very good job, and made the corners too sharp. BUT ITS THEIR LAND sure but I think part of the blame goes on the people putting the trails in. If they made the corners enjoyable, people would not cut. I saw a LARGE variety of trails through 3 counties this morning, some were great, some were laid out like shit.

There were also water/marsh hazards. Due to the late cold temps and snow, there are creeks,marshes, and mud pits that have not frozen over at all; tried to just floor it over them so I wouldn't get stuck. Sucks for my sled but oh well.

Would post epic sunrise photos, but when I got to work I realized the camera was in night mode so all the photos were 100% white. Oops.

Also got into trouble with my employer's security due to parkign the sled on company property. They claim it's a liability, so they want me to park outside the fence. What's the scoop on right of way/easements from roads? Can I just park right off the sidewalk without getting shit from the law?
Unplowed Fields? Sounds like you’re talking about plowed fields that weren’t leveled out

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Wow, what a variety.

:fistpump2:

yeah,... so you are a real snowmobiler....most of the chest thumping loudmouth preachers on here wouldn't get outta bed 3 or 4 hours early to do what you did today...and yur like....:c-n:

·
Premium Member
6,114 Posts
Wow, what a variety.

Hmm lack of volunteers to help with the trails.

·
Registered
2018 XCR Switchback 800
1,402 Posts
For the PLOWED fields, we either take a RZR with tracks over the lumps to smash them down before they freeze, or one of our farmers has a big rolling water tank we take down the trails - you’d be surprised how good those trails are and how people stay by the markers when we do that. And yes, I do know and understand how bad it can be. Bitching about it does nothing to help - get with the clubs and provide a solution!!

·
Administrator
20,651 Posts
One would hope people understand the way the Fall was ... IT WAS WET. There wasn't exactly great opportunity for clubs to get out there and roll chisel plow. Maybe it's the people who aren't part of clubs that don't understand that.

·
Premium Member
6,114 Posts
Froze or not we can get them leveled but if it's to wet like it was this fall club volunteers can not get in there to level them. We actually went out last Saturday before the snow to get some trails leveled off. It still comes down to volunteers. No volunteers well.....

Here's one of our club members donating some of his equipment and time to level them.

Attachments

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My club's trails were pretty good. So were a lot of them. But some were just awful. I took video to share with some of you who believe we should AlWaYs StAy oN TRaIL because I don't think you get it at all. I ride like 2' over so I can ride at 20mph instead of beating the shit out of my sled/body at 8mph. If a farmer wants to get pissed about that, level the god damn ground.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hmm lack of volunteers to help with the trails.
IDK... it was like... one field would be just friggin terrible, you'd get to the end, next one would be perfect. I don't get it. It really sucks when you're booking along at 40+ and the surface changes so abruptly. One of them, the chisel plowed rows were at a slight angle to the trail itself, so it would constantly steer your sled off the trail. Super annoying.

·
Premium Member
2019 Pros switchback
2,396 Posts
Chisel plow can vary depending on equipment being used and what crop was on it.
For years clubs didn’t have to worry about chisel because we’d get enough snow to cover.
Clubs now have to think and plan for low snow.
Move trails closer to fence lines and waterways.
Once ground is frozen pretty much worthless trying too pull drag to level things off.

·
Registered
2018 XCR Switchback 800
1,402 Posts
My club's trails were pretty good. So were a lot of them. But some were just awful. I took video to share with some of you who believe we should AlWaYs StAy oN TRaIL because I don't think you get it at all. I ride like 2' over so I can ride at 20mph instead of beating the shit out of my sled/body at 8mph. If a farmer wants to get pissed about that, level the god damn ground.
See, we don't focus on just OUR club trails, we work in conjunction with ALL the adjoining clubs, so everyone can be on the same page with trail setups. We actually have a larger club conglomerate if you can use that term for it, where there are about 5 or 6 clubs part of a bigger organization - we have meetings and share what works and what doesn't - and the ones that don't go the extra mile learn a few things along the way, so everyone can make safe trails.

Communication is the key - obviously.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts