Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rode a few sleds to compare to my new purchase this year being a BackCountry.

After riding about 30 miles to get there I rode the following:

1. 600 and 800 Assault. 600 was anemic. 800 had power, but not wheelie power like the Doo. I also struggled to turn both, but I chocked that up to the snow conditions.
2. Titan. I am sure it has its place, but as a dual work/play sled is not it. It was big, had reasonable power, but would not take a trail fast into a turn. I would like to see this thing off trail, but would not want to get it unstuck.
3. Cat 800 Crossover. It was terrible. Under powered, smelled terrible, sat you like a early 2000 sled, and it would not turn well in a corner.

After all of that I left with a great Doo wheelie and a hard turning trail sled, very happy with my purchase.

·
Vendor
10,095 Posts
yeah right. our buddy bought a 2019 backcountry. both my sons 800 assault and my 850 xc wax it badly. and the assault and my xc will carry the skis as long as we want. the doo not even close. maybe you got a good one? but the radar run we won didn't prove it either.

·
Registered
40,343 Posts

1. 600 and 800 Assault. 600 was anemic. 800 had power, but not wheelie power like the Doo. I also struggled to turn both, but I chocked that up to the snow conditions.
2. Titan. I am sure it has its place, but as a dual work/play sled is not it. It was big, had reasonable power, but would not take a trail fast into a turn. I would like to see this thing off trail, but would not want to get it unstuck.
3. Cat 800 Crossover. It was terrible. Under powered, smelled terrible, sat you like a early 2000 sled, and it would not turn well in a corner.

After all of that I left with a great Doo wheelie and a hard turning trail sled, very happy with my purchase.
Can't deny ski-doo has their sleds setup best from the manufacturer for average trail rider in new england, or quebec. All the newer poo's i've tried need time to break in their suspensions, plus need some additional setup. They seem to be tuned, leaning toward a more experienced rider, and made to handle rougher conditions.

·
Registered
16,836 Posts

was this in soft spring conditions? If so, my experience is that I wont get a true impression of the sleds abilities on these late demo rides.

As for turning , outside USA the assaults come equipped with gripper skis in place of those pro-steers. much better in most areas and especially in soft conditions.

Have ridden a coupe Titans. IMO too heavy for serious playing - but excellent sleds for outback touring and exploring. Comfortable too, and nimbler than one would expect. But thirsty on fuel.

Cant comment on the cat

nothing better than that :thumbsup:

·
Registered
103 Posts
I had a 800 Assault and it rode like crap. The seat and tank are as wide as a park bench so you feel like an equestrian. Overall it had great clutching, pulled hard but rode like poop and very cheaply made.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
958 Posts
I had a 800 Assault and it rode like crap. The seat and tank are as wide as a park bench so you feel like an equestrian. Overall it had great clutching, pulled hard but rode like poop and very cheaply made.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
What year? I wonder if that makes a difference.

I've never ridden an Assault, but it's very popular, and there must be a reason for that.

I have a difficult time justifying $14k+ for a machine I can only ride a half dozen times per year, and that's what stops me from buying a new Polaris.

·
Registered
958 Posts

1. 600 and 800 Assault. 600 was anemic. 800 had power, but not wheelie power like the Doo.
On Youtube, Revrider550 didn't seem to have a problem lifting the skis on his 2017 Assault 800, so maybe it's a problem with the way the rear suspension was set up.

Wheelies aren't necessarily a function of power. I know a guy who owned a 1976 Polaris TX 340 that could do wheelies.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow. A bunch of replies since I checked out for the summer. yes it was spring, yes I understand set up is important, and I understand everyone has their preferences. I gambled on the back country and it has treated me very well so far. Looking forward to this winter with a few more skills and wanting to do the hotly debated off trail riding.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts