Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year I hit a rock and bent the left side A-arms. I did run it after just did a new alignment but I knew it was hurt. Well when finally got around to taking it apart it seems that some of the mounts are bent alittle. The tube that holds the stablizor shaft is bent some but not the shaft. The rear mount in the bulkhead for the rear lower A-arm mount is also dimpled. The top rear A-arm mount seems to be bent alittle also, what do you think? Can I just put some pressure on the spots and bend them back, or is there a better way to realign the mounts. Is there enough play in remounting the A-arms that I could shim them? How far has anybody bent their mounts and been able to put it back together.

Any help would be appreciated
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,541 Posts
You can try a little heat to get them back in place,there really isn't a lot of play in the a-arms area. :div20:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
871 Posts
Find a friend who works in a body shop with a frame puller.You will probably have to remove the hood and bumpers to get a good pull but it is alot better than heating and bending.Make sure you check with alot of measurements from different spots.Its not very hard if you have a puller. :div20:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
348 Posts
Originally posted by SKREEMER89@Oct 8 2005, 03:31 PM
Last year I hit a rock and bent the left side A-arms. I did run it after just did a new alignment but I knew it was hurt. Well when finally got around to taking it apart it seems that some of the mounts are bent alittle. The tube that holds the stablizor shaft is bent some but not the shaft. The rear mount in the bulkhead for the rear lower A-arm mount is also dimpled. The top rear A-arm mount seems to be bent alittle also, what do you think? Can I just put some pressure on the spots and bend them back, or is there a better way to realign the mounts. Is there enough play in remounting the A-arms that I could shim them? How far has anybody bent their mounts and been able to put it back together.

Any help would be appreciated
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=916597
[/quote]

You might want to check you drive and driven clutch center to center. If they are off you may have a bent bulkhead also. I hit a rock on the same side, bent the A-arms, and after alittle more checking found the bulkhead bent also.

MNF7
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, I will have make some measurements to see about the cluthes. I did blow a new belt after that, but didnt think much of it. I have a flat floor that I can use for measuring the bulkhead. I wasnt sure about heat, I think I can get to a frame staightener if the bulkhead isnt to bad.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
Just replace the bulkhaed, do you really want to be questioning whether or not its factory straight when your pulling 100+ across the lake?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will just claim it on my insurance and have it totaled before I buy a bulkhead and replace it. But I know what your saying, thats why I was asking about it. I dont want to claim it but I will, I love my sled but it can replaced with another one(maybe a newer one if I can convince the wife).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Last year I hit a culvert and did pretty much the same thing. I took to a body shop and had it pulled for 225$, Also bent upper brace and bulkhea. Bought new brace and I can't really tell anything happened except it went like 90 before 107 after! go figure!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
390 Posts
Originally posted by MNF7@Oct 8 2005, 11:29 PM
You might want to check you drive and driven clutch center to center.  If they are off you may have a bent bulkhead also.  I hit a rock on the same side, bent the A-arms, and after alittle more checking found the bulkhead bent also.

MNF7
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=917369
[/quote]


How is the best way to check drive and driven clutch center to center?
What is the measurement?
Thanks,
van
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
5,671 Posts
Don't use heat on the aluminum. You are far better off using liquid hydrogen or propane and pulling in the opposite direction to the hit. Think of it like reversing the impact. I have done four like this and you would never know they were hit. My Dad's new 05 is perfect now and it was really bent. Only had to do some reinforcing in one place. Give it a try. i got this information from a guy who used to work for Mcdonald-Douglas making fighter jet wings. This is the technique they used.

Jester
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,654 Posts
Originally posted by Jester@Oct 13 2005, 02:37 PM
Don't use heat on the aluminum. You are far better off using liquid hydrogen or propane and pulling in the opposite direction to the hit. Think of it like reversing the impact. I have done four like this and you would never know they were hit. My Dad's new 05 is perfect now and it was really bent. Only had to do some reinforcing in one place. Give it a try. i got this information from a guy who used to work for Mcdonald-Douglas making fighter jet wings. This is the technique they used.

Jester
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=927372
[/quote]

I'd have to think they don't straighted wings tho. :Wow1: JMO.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I broke down and called my insurance company, I have to take it to my local sled shop and have them do a estimate on the damage. I don't know how it will come out except me getting screwed one way or another. I will let you know what the outcome is.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well the adjuster came out and looked at it, and of course I got f#*ked. He said that is isn't that bad just bend it back and it will be fine. He is going to put me in for 3 hours of labor for the bulkhead to be bent back. Then it will all set to pound on again, and thats what I pay almost $300 a year for.

Thanks for nothing!
There,now I have vented
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top