Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if you got it to stop completely. I had mine sorta fixed, now it's back. This time I used liquid metal to fill the gaps where the tunnel bends, I have weatherstripping across the back of the seat and down the sides, weatherstripping across the back of the tunnel where the back of the seat sits and I used marine silicone to seal the exchanger as well as the weatherstripping on the tunnel. There is now theoretically no place for water to get under the seat, but I guess I will find out in the morning when I get some "testing time" on it :p

·
Registered
4 Posts
I kinda gave up :wacko: :blink: :wacko:

Its not as bad as it was, but still get lots of ice on these cold days.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Take a look at the post tricked out F7's, then look at the two all green sleds from Willy Fisterbottom??, can you see how the Ice is forming? looks like it is spray from the skis..look at belly pan and running boards

·
Premium Member
7,417 Posts
rob... put a bead of silicone (clear) at the bottom edge of the rear of the seat and a bead 2 inches back along the plastic part (part of the bumper) on top of the tunnel/heat exchanger. this will help. right side of your pic

·
Registered
6,976 Posts
rob... put a bead of silicone (clear) at the bottom edge of the rear of the seat and a bead 2 inches back along the plastic part (part of the bumper) on top of the tunnel/heat exchanger. this will help. right side of your pic[/b]
That isn't the problem. I know because I have an 02 sno pro and don't have the problem. The deal is that the sno spray gets on the area between the bumper and the seat on the bare aluminum and melts. You can see in your picture that there is sno spray on your bumper. That melts and runs under the seat and over the side of the running boards. My sno pro has a heat exchanger further back than the F-cats and I don't have the problem. The F-cats I ride with are terrible. Somehow someone needs to figure out how to seal the rear of the seat down to the tunnel.

Cat S.

·
Premium Member
7,417 Posts
cmscat50...

thats my point!!

The silicone will keep the melted snow spray (water) from running under the seat. The bead on the rear will keep any spray that comes up under the bumper. you will notice that there is a build up of ice under the bumper where the snow flap mounts.

·
Registered
156 Posts
rob, i put a double layer of pick-up cap tape along the edge of the rear of the seat to seal any water from running under the back of the seat-then i removed the bumper and used black RTV to seal it to the exchanger so any water collected there could not get out from under it and run under the seat-make sure to seal where the wire for the tail lamp comes out-there is quite a gap there-i also did what you did around the heat exchanger-especially along the front edge in the groove in the tunnel-just got back from 4 days in canada and about 600 miles-boards stayed dry all week-just took my seat off and it was dry under it too

S

·
0 Posts
Shouldn't this be an 'update' by AC? I mean it looks brutal on the trail. I just polished a buddies ZR900 tunnel and it looks great! I was going to do my F7 this week but not until this ice build up is solved.

Second day out.... first day sucked because of the break-in.. today was alot better.... not missing anymore

Why does the Oil light come on so early?

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just as an update, I put 174 miles on today, no ice anywhere(except for the snow that melted off my boots). Also temp was -32C when we left this morning, warmed up as high as -24C on the trails. Think I got her beat :p

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Originally posted by rob@Feb 15 2003, 03:45 PM
here's a pic from today. As you can see there's still plenty of ice from under the seat. :lol:
rob are you saying that all that ice is from under your tunnel? thats a lot of ice. Are you sure thats not from powder riding and lettingt he snow melt and freeze on thre running boards. My f7 gets like a little ice on the side but nothing like that.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
when i was up in canada riding it was -20 i had ice that bad ! after i sealed my heat exchanger i put weather striping on the bottom of my seat from the bend of tunnel around the back to the other side and have had no ice :D

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
I don't know if anyone has said this before, but I think the snow sneaks up between the tail light and the seat. Once it gets in there, it melts, drips down, and then refreezes. So, IMO, even if you re-seal the tunnel, I think snow is still finding its way in right behind the seat. If you look, you will see that there is a gap just big enough for powder to go right in there.

Nick

·
Registered
102 Posts
I sealed all seams under the seat and between tail light and seat with a heavy bead of Automotive Goop and after 300 miles not a drop of water or ice on running boards. The stuff sticks really good.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Sorry not able to post a picture right now, camera problems,but Ill try to explain. I put a heavy bead all around the heat exchanger, and be sure to fill up little trough that the wire harness runs in. Then peel off the 2 small pieces of foil tape and fill in the 2 notches in tunnel. Next, go to the rear where the black plastic with the tail light rests on the tunnel .and seal that all the way around. This was Automotive Goop that I used and I put on a pretty heavy bead. I have no ice running down my tunnel at all, now.

·
Registered
6,125 Posts
Cant wait till the 04s come out-im going to make them pull a seat right at the damn show here in green bay in march and see if cat has done anything-the f6 is the same as f5-dealer pulled seats right there in showroom so cat must not think there is a problem-anyways now i have ice coming from the front of seat and corners of seat are now wearing and ripping!!!!!!!!!My dealer must hate me-must think im nuts?!?!Once the new apv cables come in for both f5s i will have my dealer call cat again and see if there aware of this problem-now i have to ask my dealer for a new seat!!!!!!!!!!Anyways maybe i will be pulling out the old silicone myself-both f5s are bad after last trip-couldnt even pull the seats off the ice glued the seats on-he he-Other then that the f5s kicked ass this weekend-But i will say this-My wife made this comment-You work on these firecats more then all your zrs combined!!!!!!!!!OUCH

·
Registered
102 Posts
Sealing up the leaks to stop the tunnel burgs was the only problem I had so far. I check my sleds over from end to end every week and have not even changed plugs yet. My F5 has been near perfect.

R

·
0 Posts
I noticed a small glacier on my running boards this weekend (-10F) and said to myself 1. the trails are to flat or 2. I am riding like a girl. So I turn it up a notch, and my glacier just got bigger, so when I stop in the big weather I just kick it off. Bye the way the trails were great this weekend upstate NY, and the Fcat ran great, :p

1 - 20 of 24 Posts