Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I no you said you were doing some testing on Clutch kits for the fire cat's so what do you think the best kit is?

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Rob has snow, so he's out riding unlike us unlucky forum junky's
i could have bought one hell of a computer for what my f7 cost

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right, I bet!, I had snow untill the rain here, Upstate< NY but it is snowing right now, So I feel Better now, But I do Have 250 miles on my F 7 so I cant bitch to much.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Actually I haven't ridden since I got back from my trip. Still have 612 miles or so.. I will leave on a trip the 26th-31st up north somewhere.

I wasn't going to be testing clutch kits.. Must be someone else you are thinking about? I'm very impressed with the clutching on my F7 so I'll be leaving it stock.. Super response and backshift, and great gas mileage too! :wub: How can I improve on that? :rolleyes: B)

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You no, I was thinking the stock kit was good to, But want to get a highter engagement, If I buy some weights I bit heaver and grind a flat spot in them I think I can get want I want from my stock clutch, same RPM shift and all that whth just a higher Engagement, Does that sound right??

·
Registered
4 Posts
if you just want a higher engagement, put in the next stronger spring. Spring controls engagement and weights control shiftout. Course, they overlap and it's not quite that simple, but that's the general idea.

With a higher engagement, you will slip the belt more at low speeds.. I can't believe how low this thing tachs at 20-35mph.

·
Premium Member
10,637 Posts
ours keeps engagement around 4000, yet pulls hard. still revs low on trails. Also NO flat spots, which with just putting a heavier spring may do ^_^

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I no it does tack in low, I am use to my ZR at 5,300 Rpms and took off like a rocket, clutch kit was in it when I got it., But I read that if I Just grind a flat in my weights but dont change the weight I can keep what I got with a higher engagement, So I was thinking of getting a heaver weight and grinding a flat spot in the low area of the weught so it is harder for the weight to over come the spring that is in it. This should work right?

Rich

·
Registered
277 Posts
The only problem with a notch or flat spot is that its harder on the rollers. The only time you really need a notch or flat is when you can't accomplish to get your desired engagment RPM with spring. There are many choices of after market springs to help maintain your desired shift speed and engagment.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Personally, I am leaving my clutch stock. My buds out in NE Oregon run drags when they are not powder riding.
They are going to be running Heavy Hitters with a Pink/Pink spring I believe is what they said. I don't know much about it, maybe Dan can shed some light on the set-up.

Kevin

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was told if I change the spring, I would have to change everything, But If I keep every thing the same, and do the flat spot trick, I should get what I want without changing anything, Maybe I will Just get A clutch kit.

·
Registered
879 Posts
SabercattF7, I would highly advise against grinding weights if you do not have a grinding block and a gram scale. The easiest fix is to buy a different spring to increase engagement. Stock Yellow/White 122/285, AC Orange/White 143/290, D&D Yellow 160/290. The first number is the engagement rate the second is the shiftout rate in lbs. As you can see the AC Orange/White will only raise the engagement slightly and the D&D Yellow will have a significant effect on engagement. Since the shiftout rates are within 1% you will not see a change in top speed RPM.

·
Registered
4 Posts
again, my advice is to leave it stock. Clutching on the F7 is excellent, and I doubt you will improve on it.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I am thinking of getting the Orange/white spring for the primary too. Should I do the sec at the same time to maintain consistency?

Attachments

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So why do some other kits clame to pull harder and give you better top speed, Are they full of it, Just to try to sell to you? Has any one tryed A clutch kit over stock?

·
Registered
879 Posts
The AC Orange/White will raise your engagement approximately 250-300 RPM the D&D Yellow will raise your engagement approximately 600-650 RPM. Remember there is usually a 5-10% tolerance on rates of springs. A given spring may be stiffer or softer than those rates I quoted, thus changing engagement RPM. Clutch kits are designed to do different things. One kit may accelerate very hard but lose top speed, the next kit may not accelerate as well but cause a gain in top speed. The manufacterers generally have good all around clutching but can be improved upon depending on your individual preference. It is really hard to develop a kit that will show big gains in both acceleration and top speed. When purchasing a clutch kit be sure to specify your specific application. Rob is right, the F7 clutching is very good for all around performance. It will be hard to improve on in all areas. Accelerates, backshifts, and pulls very well on top end. What are you trying to achieve? Some manufacturers spend countless hours developing good all around clutch performance. It takes an experienced tuner to make improvements.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Sled 60' ET 660' MPH 660' ET 1000' MPH 1000' ET 1320' MPH 1320' ET
F-7 EFI Box 1 1.852 84.43 7.829 86.71 10.494 89.82 12.936
F-7 EFI Box 2 1.724 83.18 7.673 89.64 10.299 94.34 12.716
F-7 EFI Dealer 1 1.761 87.04 7.551 93.95 10.051 95.34 12.351
F-7 EFI Dealer 2 1.654 86.54 7.428 92.59 9.948 94.54 12.283

This is with just clutching changes! There is more there guys!!
Skydog

1 - 20 of 38 Posts