Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering if anyone can give comparison information between the two models. I have owned Cats in the past, but am currently on an 01 Edge. I am considering a Firecat for next year and have been following the information on this site(which is excellent). I am interested in handling, stability, ride quality, wind protection, rider comfort, deep snow performance and anything else you can think of.

Thanks for any feedback! :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
HUGE difference in those two chassis.. It depends on what you are looking for if you will like the switch. The Edge's greatest strength is it's comfort. Like a great big couch. It takes very little driver input to go at a good pace. Edge absorbs the stutter bumps like no other. But when pushed, it is easier to go really fast on just about any other chassis. The Edge will 'fall' into moguls (hit hard into each one). Cat, Doo and even Yam have a better front suspention than the Edge. And the Edge has plenty of ski lift when pushed. The AC Boivin kit for the Edge helps keep the skis down quite a bit. Compared to the Edge, the Firecat feels tons lighter.. is far more manuverable, but does require more driver input than the Edge. You have to move your ass. Handling is WAY better on the Firecat, once you get used to the differences. I often leaned 'the wrong way' to get the XC to turn.. Don't try that on a Firecat or you'll be in the puckerbrush. Stability on the Firecat is just as good as my Edge with SLT skis was, and much better than an Edge with the crummy stock skis. Ride quality is better on the Edge..what can I say? If nothing else the XC is comfortable.

Wind protection is surprisingly good on the FC, actually as good and maybe better with the standard higher w/s on the Firecat. Rider comfort? Well as I said, the XC is a comfy ride, but I find the ergos, seating position, and especially handlebars are better on the Firecat. I just LOVE how this sled fits! Deep snow the FC is again very good. Two weeks ago we had some 2 foot drifts down by the treeline and the FC stayed right on top while Janes XC6 bogged down a bit.. And I always thought the XC's were pretty good in the deep stuff, so I think the FC's will be great.

The final ingredient? The Fun Factor.. The Firecats are an absolute BLAST to ride. Makes the Edge look like a station wagon in that regard. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Jane hasn't ridden the F7 yet.

Leaning the 'wrong way' means to lean out instead of in. It works good on a heavier sled, like a touring sled, to lift the inside part of the track so it can turn better. Have you ever driven a Ski-Doo Alpine? That's a twin track sled with one ski used for grooming and pulling loads. Leaning into the turn on one of those is fruitless, it just goes straight. The ONLY way to get one of those to turn was to 'lean the wrong way'. :D

·
Registered
835 Posts
I guees my Edge rides completly different than ones you have had. With
the previously mentioned ski lift, if I were to lean out, the sled would be
skidding on its side down the trail. I have ALWAYS leaned into the turn, not
out. Guess I have just never seen that phenomenon! I guess like you said,
it all comes down to riding style. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I wasn't saying that you HAD to ride an XC like that..I was just saying that you COULD lean out at slow speeds on a XC to get it to turn sharper, and that you CAN'T do that with a Firecat because it is more sensitive to rider input than the XC.

Don't get defensive about your XC...This IS a Firecat board after all :D :lol: :p

·
Registered
835 Posts
Rob, I am not getting defensive about the XC, just stating that I have
never ridden mine that way. Also, I just find this site very interesting, &
I am considering a switch in brands. I guess because I do not have a
Firecat I should not use this site as a research site for a sled I may be
purchasing next year? Sorry if I ruffled any feathers! :huh:

·
Registered
4 Posts
No Problem. In fact I thought my XC's handled good until I rode other colors. I was a loyal Polaris owner for over twenty years.. and in that time I mainly rode with other Polaris sleds. It was only in the last few years that I actually made an effort to ride other brands. Now I can see good&bad points in all of them. But the Edge front suspension does suck compared to the others.. If I had stayed with Poo this year I would have tried a ProX 700

·
Registered
835 Posts
Rob, I am also in the opinion that Polaris is in need of an update of the
front suspension, very soon. I have ridden a ZL 800 and a ZR800 that
my riding buddies have and I like the handling better. It is just a case
of I have not had a lot of seat time on brands other than Polaris and
Cat. I also think they have good points and bad points. If I get a chance
to hop on a Firecat this year, I will take the opportunity to go for a ride. I
might love it, I might hate it. But I am not brand loyal enough to not think
about switching brands. I have ridden Polaris for several years, and I have
had good reliability and great success with my dealer who really takes care
of any problems quickly. I am going to try as many of the new sleds as I
pry from their owners grasp this season. Maybe next year, things will be
different on my trailer. Or maybe the same. Only time will tell. B)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Originally posted by rob@Dec 22 2002, 11:47 AM
HUGE difference in those two chassis.. It depends on what you are looking for if you will like the switch. The Edge's greatest strength is it's comfort. Like a great big couch. It takes very little driver input to go at a good pace. Edge absorbs the stutter bumps like no other. But when pushed, it is easier to go really fast on just about any other chassis. The Edge will 'fall' into moguls (hit hard into each one). Cat, Doo and even Yam have a better front suspention than the Edge. And the Edge has plenty of ski lift when pushed. The AC Boivin kit for the Edge helps keep the skis down quite a bit. Compared to the Edge, the Firecat feels tons lighter.. is far more manuverable, but does require more driver input than the Edge. You have to move your ass. Handling is WAY better on the Firecat, once you get used to the differences. I often leaned 'the wrong way' to get the XC to turn.. Don't try that on a Firecat or you'll be in the puckerbrush. Stability on the Firecat is just as good as my Edge with SLT skis was, and much better than an Edge with the crummy stock skis. Ride quality is better on the Edge..what can I say? If nothing else the XC is comfortable.

Wind protection is surprisingly good on the FC, actually as good and maybe better with the standard higher w/s on the Firecat. Rider comfort? Well as I said, the XC is a comfy ride, but I find the ergos, seating position, and especially handlebars are better on the Firecat. I just LOVE how this sled fits! Deep snow the FC is again very good. Two weeks ago we had some 2 foot drifts down by the treeline and the FC stayed right on top while Janes XC6 bogged down a bit.. And I always thought the XC's were pretty good in the deep stuff, so I think the FC's will be great.

The final ingredient? The Fun Factor.. The Firecats are an absolute BLAST to ride. Makes the Edge look like a station wagon in that regard. Hope that helps.
I TOOK MY BUDDYS EDGE FOR A RIDE LAST WEEK & HAVE THE SAME OPINION,IT IS A CUSHY RIDE LIKE A NICE SOFA... :lol: :lol: BUT I DEFINATELY LIKE MY F7 BETTER!!

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Don't forget that their are TWO models of Firecats currently available -- the sno-pro and the standard. Rob's statements about the ride quality are referring to his sno-pro, which I'm quite sure is set up stiffer than the standard. I've got the standard F7, and so far, in my way-to-short 40 miles, the ride seemed VERY good. As least as good, and probably better, than my '02 XC800 with the coupler blocks removed. And THAT sled (WITH the blocks removed!) rode as good as my bud's '02 XC700 M-10... true story!!! Oh, and I think Rob is right on with his statement, "This sled IS the fun factor!" Now... THINK SNOW!!!!!!!-- Roy

1 - 11 of 11 Posts