Hardcore Sledder banner

Which is the best track?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking to upgrade tracks on my '01 600 XC. The OEM track has pretty much had it. Im looking to go with a 121" 1.25" lug. I do my riding in northern Wisconsin, where the conditions can range one day to the next anywhere from breaking trail in powder to riding on icy hardpack.
Im leaning towards the Ripsaw but others have suggested I go with the Predator. Ive also heard good things about the Hacksaw, but that seems more like a hardpack track. So, for a wide range of conditions, which is the best track?
Also, whats better: fully clipped or every 3rd clipped?

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Well the Hack is just a 1" version of the Ripsaw. I was told by Tracks USA that they (Rip and Predator) are both awesome tracks. They said that the Ripsaw would have a slight advantage on hardpack and the Predator would have the slight advantage in the pow. Your choice from there.

If I were you,I would definately call Tracks USA. They know tracks. I was surprised when I called, because I got an older sounding lady. I asked if she could help with my questions. She said that she would try. After speaking with her, I realized that she knew her shit!

·
Registered
6,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ive checked TracksUSA and Im going to see what kinda deal CB Performance can give me. Whoever gives me the best price is the one who will get my business.

·
Registered
6,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was just looking at some pics on Camoplast.com and it looks like the Ripsaw has the lugs cut in almost little "fingers" whereas the Predator has more solid lugs. Makes sense why the Ripsaw would be better on hardpack (the fingers would penetrate hard snow better) and why the Predator would be better in the loose stuff (solid lugs grip better in powder).
Im kinda leaning towards the Predator for that reason, keep the opinions coming though, they are much appreciated.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I was in your shoea a few months ago I ended up getting a pair of predators for my sleds. I talked to many track guys and to camoplast themselves and they recommended the predator saying that it was the best all around track that they produced for my application. I trail and lake ride my sleds only but they are not always "hardpacked" many times the snow is loose which is why I ended up going with the predator as it will have more bite in loose snow.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I love my ripsaw. Around here the 136 inch ripsaw with 1.25 inch lugs hooks up like mad. It didn't seem too terrible in the deeper snow last year either (when I had a 121). Either way, the predator or the ripsaw you can't go wrong.

·
Registered
2021 Polaris Matryx 850 Switchback Assault 146
2,714 Posts
Well the Hack is just a 1" version of the Ripsaw.![/b]

NOT TRUE, everyone seems to think the hack is the same as the say, but only .25" diff. But the hacksaw has a "cressent style" lug for more bite on hardpack than the ripsaw

·
Premium Member
2,431 Posts
i ride the u.p. trails which change at every corner, from loose sloppy corners to bare ice to hard pack straights to loose fluffy mogols to back crackin black holes.
i'm on my third predator track. my friend ran a ripsaw last season on his t-cat and has went back to the predator for this year (sorry, sold it on e-bay over the summer).
like most have said the rip is great for hard pack, but looses to the predator on anything less. which is what the trails are like on any given saturday afternoon. big heavy t-cats suck in the powder. the predator track really had an advantage over the rip in the fluff. holeshots on hard pack with studded tracks couldn't really tell a differance between the two. on a groomed flat trail that has set up (frozen) the rip worked well corner to corner. soon as the trails get loose on top the predator stretches the distance between us.

·
Premium Member
‘21 Indy 600 SP 137 & 2015 RMK 155 LE
25,420 Posts
I've seen a few Predators peal lug "fingers" due to the conical "finger lug" design. A bud of mine's 01 ZR 800 came with one from the
factory. Although it was only 1"(I believe) I didn't think it was all that. :dunno:

Nothin' but love for my Ripsaw. 1650 miles and still hookin' 'n' bookin'. :beerchug:

·
Registered
220 Posts
the 01 800's didn't come with the predators the 02 cross country's did .the 01's did have that shitty conecal lugs and they suck . i have never seen a predator peal a lug off . for all purpuse riding you can't beat a predator. :div20:

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
There are actually 2 different kinds of predator track.
One has a conventional lug.
And the other had the conical lugs, I don't know if they even make that one anymore.
Anyhow I have a 1.25" conical lug, got close to 10,000 miles on it(its been on two sleds) and its held up pretty well.
It did peel the tips off a couple lugs, but now with the miles they are just getting rounded over.
When it was fresh it hooked up great, but it has lost some bite due to the lugs getting rounded.
I had it on my xlt with no studs, but put 144 in it when it went on my xc600.

I'm thinking of getting a new 1.25" predator with the normal lug so I get more dig when the snow gets all loose and sugary.

·
Registered
7,348 Posts
Ripsaw hooks up better on hardpack/trail because it has teeth, but sucks in powder b/c it doesn't have paddles to float over the snow, it just eats the powder up.
Predator will spin more on the hardpack and won't dig in like the Ripsaw, but floats on the pow better.
Hacksaw I don't know much about...

If you get a Predator and put a few studs in it, it will be better than the Ripsaw.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have the hacksaw on my 01 800 and I love it,its not the 1" version of a ripsaw its totally different type of lug,on hard pack its gripping ability is unbelievable,I like to stud my track and the 1.25" ripsaw I thought would have been too large of a lug to get a stud to penatrate for good traction.So it depends on what type of ridding you like to do.

·
Registered
6,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I should also mention that I do not plan on studding my track.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.