Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at a new ripsaw track that is fully clipped, what are the pros/cons of this?
I have an 01 XC 800
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I had a ripsaw on my RxWarrior. It's the best track for ON trail riding but off trail it left a lot to be desired. Actually it sucked.

·
Registered
43,774 Posts
I don't think you can go wrong with the ripsaw unless your strictly a drag racer. Fully clipped will weigh more. I've used both types of tracks...fully clipped and every 3rd on different sleds....haven't really noticed much of a performance difference...they claim a fully clipped track delivers higher top speed. I understand a track clipped every 3rd is suspose to hold snow in better to lubricate the hyfax especially in marginal conditions when cruising at average speeds.

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
i ran an every third last year and no noticeable hifax wear after 900 miles. either one works good. shop by price.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
how would a track that weighs more give you a higher top speed. Figured more weight would mean slowwer.

Thinksno why do you choose the fully clipped over the every 3rd. What would suit me I ride in some low snow conditions, alittle bit of water cross, boon docking, and trail riding about 50% trail riding 50% the rest.

·
Premium Member
4,252 Posts
Originally posted by braaap11889@Sep 21 2005, 08:15 PM
So the 136 1.25 ripsaw for 50/50 trail/powder riding would be a bad idea?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=886134
[/quote]
I ride off trail as well as on trail, and think the ripsaw does great. Sure there are better tracks for off trail,but when your doing both this track has been great for me.

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Originally posted by braaap11889@Sep 21 2005, 08:17 PM
how would a track that weighs more give you a higher top speed. Figured more weight would mean slowwer.

Thinksno why do you choose the fully clipped over the every 3rd. What would suit me I ride in some low snow conditions, alittle bit of water cross, boon docking, and trail riding about 50% trail riding 50% the rest.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=886138
[/quote]
a 6 pitch is a lot better off trail. the ripsaw is the best trail track, but it digs trenches bad in powder.

·
Premium Member
MY21 650 SBA 146, ES, ICE Storm 1.5
6,144 Posts
Originally posted by n2oiroc@Sep 21 2005, 10:16 PM
a 6 pitch is a lot better off trail. the ripsaw is the best trail track, but it digs trenches bad in powder.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=886410
[/quote]
I also prefer the 6 panel repeating pattern Camoplast over the Ripsaw for boondocking. It is too easy for the Ripsaw to dig all the snow out from under the sled in a few seconds and leave you sitting on the runningboards.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Another vote for the 6pitch for off trail. It's durable, proven, and works great on trail with studs. My 121" 6pitch was outdoing a buddy's 136 ripsaw in bottomless powder. While the ripsaw is a great track, it doesnt seem to do as well in pow pow. I had a very hard time deciding last year which of the two to buy. I'm happy with my choice, but you can't go wrong with either. Personally, I see no need for every window clipped...the 3rd clipped cuts down on the weight and has worked great for me, as long as I'm in plenty of snow.

·
Registered
43,774 Posts
Originally posted by braaap11889@Sep 21 2005, 08:17 PM

[/quote]
In the past buddies of ours played around with very similar setup sleds except for the tracks....same type track....one sled using a fully clipped...the other every 3rd. These sleds ran nearly the same top end numbers till one guy changed to an every 3rd clipped of the same lug height....now his sled runs about 3-4 mph slower on top. I think either one or two things are happening....either the 3rd clipped track traps more snow adding to rotating weight on top, or the fully clipped track uses less energy to complete a rotation either due to less friction on the hyfax, or it just bends easier as it rotates....or maybe both...either way a fully clipped track does pull more top end.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Ripsaw doesn't totally suck in loose conditions. I've posted this before, but it's my defense of the ripsaw. I'm on the right on a 600. Friend of mine is on the left with a 660, hyperlite, and 6 pitch. Base was crusty but on top there was about 10 inches of loose crap. My sled can't stay close to this 660 in roll-on racing...

http://ebbsnet.net/ripsaw.avi

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Originally posted by Matt@Sep 22 2005, 01:11 PM
Ripsaw doesn't totally suck in loose conditions.  I've posted this before, but it's my defense of the ripsaw.  I'm on the right on a 600.  Friend of mine is on the left with a 660, hyperlite, and 6 pitch.  Base was crusty but on top there was about 10 inches of loose crap.  My sled can't stay close to this 660 in roll-on racing...

http://ebbsnet.net/ripsaw.avi
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=887057
[/quote]
i agree the ripsaw is great for stuff like that. its the deep stuff (over 1.5' deep) that turns into the problem. i had one on the viper last year when it was a 121" and loved it except in the 1.5' and deeper powder. so it went on the pro x (trail sled). i hope my 1.75" x 136" on the viper this year will be a bit better in the deep stuff! :div20:

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Originally posted by braaap11889@Sep 21 2005, 09:17 PM

[/quote]

The fully clipped tracks ran faster for top end for me and buddies. I used the Camoplast clips with the grooves that hold snow or ice. On the xcr I gained about 7 mph without any other changes, running low 120's on the gun. My experience.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Originally posted by Thinksno@Sep 22 2005, 09:47 PM
The fully clipped tracks ran faster for top end for me and buddies. I used the Camoplast clips with the grooves that hold snow or ice. On the xcr I gained about 7 mph without any other changes, running low 120's on the gun. My experience.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=887836
[/quote]

What conditions? Ice, dusting of snow, or powder? Not disagreeing, just curious.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Originally posted by PolarisNut@Sep 22 2005, 10:41 PM
What conditions?  Ice, dusting of snow, or powder?  Not disagreeing, just curious.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=887955
[/quote]

Ice runs/ light dust where lubrication is minimal. However, seat of the pants, I swear it felt quicker acceleration, it definately coasted and held speed longer. I was also told the fully clipped tracks had less reported failures of heat induced glass rod breakage. The fully clipped track was a 3/4" full block and the partial clipped was a 7/8" staggered paddle, both weighing the same. I know, myself now included, most are looking for trail performance and longevity. My experience with high speed set ups and what I've been told about track failures is why I would only buy fully clipped.

I think Camoplast make the best tracks, there must be a Camoplast technical rep on HCS.

·
Registered
17,156 Posts
I put on a fully clipped 136" ripsaw on my xc800, (Previously I had the 1.25" shockwave, , closed windows)
As said above , in low snow conditions I think the fully clipped tracks has less rolling resistance than the closed-windows tracks.
Anyway, I have not lost top speed as far as i can tell.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts