1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
9,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No lead-in comment necessary.
[attachment=282143:detnews_...scoming2.jpg]

Article in entirety...

Looks like someone is planning to hire displaced auto workers... no shortage of those here.
-------------
"Or they can see what Wayne County Executive Robert Ficano sees -- opportunity in China's interest in the U.S. market. He's traveled to China twice to tout local companies there to the Chinese as well as talent back home.

"Our doors are open and our work force is ready and willing," Ficano said. "We want to do business."

So do the Chinese -- right here, and as soon as possible."
--------------
:beerchug:

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Boy...big news flash there uh? Only if you keep your head in the sand. :cn:

Okay...all at once, eveyone look surprised :eek:oh4: :Wow1: :hear_no_evil:

And Ficano is an ass anyhow, always has been, always will be. Another cog in the McNamara/Granholm/Kilpatick politcal machine.

·
Registered
9,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Boy...big news flash there uh? Only if you keep your head in the sand. :cn:[/b]
Maybe it should be renamed "The Ostrich News"... wonder if any company would actually go to Detroit anyway, even though the A3 is going big in Ann Arbor area.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Well, in new news, Ford is investing $1 Billion into updates into 6 plants here in Michigan. In return the state is giving tax breaks. ABOUT TIME a domestic gets a break!

Even more good news is for my brother...his plant is sceduled for updates :div20:

Now I am really confused...I thought Ford was ignoring us...here they are doing upgrades?

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
No lead-in comment necessary.
[attachment=282143:detnews_...scoming2.jpg]

Article in entirety...

Looks like someone is planning to hire displaced auto workers... no shortage of those here.
-------------
"Or they can see what Wayne County Executive Robert Ficano sees -- opportunity in China's interest in the U.S. market. He's traveled to China twice to tout local companies there to the Chinese as well as talent back home.

"Our doors are open and our work force is ready and willing," Ficano said. "We want to do business."

So do the Chinese -- right here, and as soon as possible."
--------------
:beerchug:[/b]

All I see in this headlines is that Gas is going under $2/gallon. I dont think that the big 3 have anything to be concerned about with the Chineese. They cant even build a ratchet that will hold up in real world use, how are they going to build a car?

·
Registered
12,218 Posts
Well, in new news, Ford is investing $1 Billion into updates into 6 plants here in Michigan. In return the state is giving tax breaks. ABOUT TIME a domestic gets a break!

Even more good news is for my brother...his plant is sceduled for updates :div20:

Now I am really confused...I thought Ford was ignoring us...here they are doing upgrades?[/b]

·
Registered
9,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, in new news, Ford is investing $1 Billion into updates into 6 plants here in Michigan. In return the state is giving tax breaks. ABOUT TIME a domestic gets a break![/b]
:clap: But do you believe they have not been getting breaks? You better believe they have.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
All I see in this headlines is that Gas is going under $2/gallon. I dont think that the big 3 have anything to be concerned about with the Chineese. They cant even build a ratchet that will hold up in real world use, how are they going to build a car?[/b]
Where have you been? The "Big 3" already have the Chinese building engines and cars for them IN CHINA and shipping them here.

Maybe the Chinese car companies want to come here to tap into the knowledge of the US Auto Worker. But I can see a real life version of that movie Gung Ho happening :smilielol: They won't like ot pay the money though. I fear that the Chinese car companies will tap into the new automotive building belt of the U.S., the Bible belt. For what they want to sell those Chinese SUVs for, they can't pay much to build them. I mean LESS than the $15 an hour debate.

I don't know, I can't understand a word that the Chinese CEOs are saying on the TV interviews. I mean it, with utmost sincerity, I have dealt with a lot of non-English speaking people in my line of work. And the Chinese are going to have to learn the language. That is where I give the Japanese credit when they come here, they at least try.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Where have you been? The "Big 3" already have the Chinese building engines and cars for them IN CHINA and shipping them here.

Maybe the Chinese car companies want to come here to tap into the knowledge of the US Auto Worker. But I can see a real life version of that movie Gung Ho happening :smilielol: They won't like ot pay the money though. I fear that the Chinese car companies will tap into the new automotive building belt of the U.S., the Bible belt. For what they want to sell those Chinese SUVs for, they can't pay much to build them. I mean LESS than the $15 an hour debate.

I don't know, I can't understand a word that the Chinese CEOs are saying on the TV interviews. I mean it, with utmost sincerity, I have dealt with a lot of non-English speaking people in my line of work. And the Chinese are going to have to learn the language. That is where I give the Japanese credit when they come here, they at least try.[/b]
I am drawing a blank on any engine or car that is assembled for GM, Ford or Chrysler in China and shipped back to the US for sale.

·
Registered
9,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
But I can see a real life version of that movie Gung Ho happening :smilielol: For what they want to sell those Chinese SUVs for, they can't pay much to build them. I mean LESS than the $15 an hour debate. And the Chinese are going to have to learn the language.[/b]
:smilielol: That movie was waaay ahead of its time... might have to go buy it now and review. Don't know the pay, but it seems to be on par with B3 from what I read. :dunno: Nah, they'll hire an American VP to handle that for them.
I am drawing a blank on any engine or car that is assembled for GM, Ford or Chrysler in China and shipped back to the US for sale.[/b]
It's coming...

"Add, too, plans by at least one -- DCX -- to partner with China's Chery Automobile to build Chrysler-designed cars in China and ship them into the United States."

GM has stated that China-built cars stay in China... then this: "GM Asia Pacific President Nick Reilly said GM already exports Chinese-built vehicles to countries such as Russia. "We've proven that we can do it," he told reporters."

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
I am not reposting it all here once again. :beatingdeadhorse: Check my other posts and threads.

I'll make it simple...the pushrod V-6 (which is the old 3.1L resurrected). Is exclusively built in China. Casted, machined, assembly and shipped here. It is referred to internally as the CV-6. C for CHINA.

And for the 2008 model year Diamler mini-vans will be coming from China.

Mazda/Ford already is building cars there, like the Mazda 3 and the Volvo 40.

GM already is bringing mini-trucks, like the old LUV truck, to here from China, they are used by ranchers in Texas as they are not EPA compliant.

I have about two dozen examples, but it isn't my job to supply Michigan with the harsh reality and the Chinese invasion is real. :homework:

BTW, I was contacted about a job in Ann Arbor testing CHINESE BUILT cars for EPA compliance to be sold here.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Damn...I can't help myself from doing this :banghead:

From my Alpena thread, the info on China, from Edmunds.com:

Look what American apple-pie Chevrolet has done to see what's ahead. It first tapped its Japanese affiliates for its small, entry-level models.

Remember Chevrolet's Geo division? It was stocked with models from General Motors' joint venture with Toyota and its partner Suzuki. Chevy now has turned to GM's newly acquired Korean arm, Daewoo, for its entry-level Aveo. Meantime, in Texas, GM has quietly begun importing and selling — for under $10,000 — Chinese mini-trucks that can only be used off-road. (Beagle1 edit: Used by Ranchers as they DO NOT meet EPA guidelines.)

And then there are the parts in its vehicles. Pop the hood of the Chevrolet Equinox (and the upcoming Pontiac Torrent), and you'll find a made-in-China engine. Ford engineers report the automaker is looking to source engine components in China as well, and its partner, Changan Automobile Group, has its sights set on the U.S. for vehicle sales.

More proof; the Auto Shanghai 2005, which opened the end of April, attracted every major automaker, every major auto supplier and the top brass from all of those companies this year. DaimlerChrysler just announced it's looking to build Chryslers in China and send them to the U.S.

The naysayers point to a number of reasons why the Chinese car companies won't make it in the U.S.

First of all, they say, look at the trouble they're having at home. Indeed, the go-go sales days in China are gone, thanks to government intervention a year ago to purposely slow the overheated economy. The fallout of that action was that car sales dipped from astronomical rates, vehicle inventories bloated, and automakers, to move the metal, resorted to hefty price cuts.

Still, China's car sales for 2005 are expected to be 10-percent higher than in 2004, which were up 15 percent from 2003 despite China's "troubles."

And long term, the importance of China on the international landscape cannot be denied. Virtually every expert in the world believes China will be the No. 1 market in terms of sales and auto production; the only debate is how soon. Certainly, it will occur within the next decade or so.

However, the doubting Thomases point out, the Chinese are hooking up with partners with less-than-stellar track records. The loudest among them is Malcolm Bricklin, who had little success after helping to launch Subaru with his own Bricklin brand and Yugo. Bricklin has outrageously ambitious plans for his partner, Chery, which he says will arrive in the U.S. in January 2007, introduce a new model every two months for three years, and sell 250,000 vehicles a year as the "new Toyota."

GM has stated that China-built cars stay in China...[/b]
BULLSHIT!!! Just read above :frech32:

·
Registered
10,935 Posts
All I see in this headlines is that Gas is going under $2/gallon. I dont think that the big 3 have anything to be concerned about with the Chineese. They cant even build a ratchet that will hold up in real world use, how are they going to build a car?[/b]
GM built a huge tech center in China a few yrs back & basically taught the Chi-coms every thing they need to know about building autos.

DCX will be shipping autos direct from China here.

:beerchug: good posts Beagle & YH

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Yet, Diesel is still 56¢ a gallon more?

The CEO at my former employer is convinced diesels are the future of engines of the U.S. :dunno:

I don't see it? Americans are instant gratifiers. No one will do all the math to see if they are going to save money in 100,000 miles of ownership of a diesel when pulling in to get gas.

Seriously, $1.99 vs. $2.55...what would you rather own if you have nothing heavy to tow? Even with a Ford V-10 vs. the Diesel in MPG, at that price spread, you won't save any fuel money, not to mention the additional $7000 up front to buy the diesel.

·
Registered
9,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Or maintenance costs for diesels. Agreed, if you don't pull alot, hardly worth it. As for pricing, diesel was cheaper than gas for many many years, it's only been recently (within 2?) that it flipped. Don't know why. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

·
Registered
9,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think tax breaks for companies is wrong, it only makes my taxes go up.Property taxes are out of hand in this state already.[/b]
But without them, the jobs go away, and people won't have income to worry about taxes... :cn:

·
Registered
10,935 Posts
Why do we want diesels besides a few mpg??? They stink like hell & sound like a rattletrap

:beerchug: I know they tow good

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.