Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok first of all let me say due to special circumstances i cant wear contact lenses so that isnt an option. right now when i ride i hav to with my sheild partially cracked otherwise my GLASSES not me shield fog up. i thought about gettin an electric sheild but i seem to hav more of a problem with my glasses fogging then my actual sheild fogging. just wondering what some of you guys use to try and avoid this problem. i was thinking about switchin to a MX style helmet and gettin some prescription goggles made but that will be kinda expensive considering im hoping to get that laser surgery this comin year. any suggestions would apprciated.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
I've thought about the surgery also. I can barely put drops in my eyes, much less contacts. I have ridden with goggles and a couple of different heated shields. Glasses take a little more work but I have had decent success with a heated sheild. My riding style is get the gear on and go. With glasses, I found that I have to start with them warm. Keep them in a shirt pocket and put them on just before hitting the gas. Once the glasses are cool, keep them cool. Airflow is your friend. A good helmet with a breath shield helps tons. I have used the "no fog" masks and they work pretty good(it's just a pain to deal with another layer). I do have to ride with the shield cracked just a little when we are in the rough stuff. Sweat just overwhelms the glasses. Off trail is a real challenge when you are in the powder. Snow in the helmet just turns to water, so you have to manage the shield.

Ten years of trying and I've finally had decent success with heated shield and a Cat TXI helmet. If I fog while riding, I can usually crack the shield and turn my head a little while on trail. Then I just close the shield back up when they are clear. Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
ok first of all let me say due to special circumstances i cant wear contact lenses so that isnt an option. right now when i ride i hav to with my sheild partially cracked otherwise my GLASSES not me shield fog up. i thought about gettin an electric sheild but i seem to hav more of a problem with my glasses fogging then my actual sheild fogging. just wondering what some of you guys use to try and avoid this problem. i was thinking about switchin to a MX style helmet and gettin some prescription goggles made but that will be kinda expensive considering im hoping to get that laser surgery this comin year. any suggestions would apprciated.[/b]
I broke down and got lasik. Not entirely for sledding, but it was a side benefit. My vision was 20/200+, now it's 20/15 and I could not be happier.

That does not address your immediate needs. Ever talk with anyone who has a BV2S helmet that wears glasses??? Hopefully someone who has one AND who wears glasses will chime in. I would think, given the way it completely exhausts your warm breath, would help. I have that helmet and really really like it, but I have not tried it with glasses.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I broke down and got lasik. Not entirely for sledding, but it was a side benefit. My vision was 20/200+, now it's 20/15 and I could not be happier.

That does not address your immediate needs. Ever talk with anyone who has a BV2S helmet that wears glasses??? Hopefully someone who has one AND who wears glasses will chime in. I would think, given the way it completely exhausts your warm breath, would help. I have that helmet and really really like it, but I have not tried it with glasses.[/b]
i thought about that but my problem is just like with the breath deflectors the part that goes on sits on your nose interfers with the way i need my glasses to sit on my nose to be able to see correctly. those BV2S are also like $300 might as well suck it up for another yr (been suckin it up for 10+ yrs now) and get the lasik. Im finally done with college have a real job and am making decent money. i figure now is the perfect time to go and get it. you always hear about investment opportunties what could be more appealing then an investment in yourself

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
HJC symax works well for riders with glasses[/b]
again your looking at $225+ for a new helmet. i was hoping to find some type of barclava or anti-fog mask or spray i could use just to get through this season. cuz like i said im basically set on gettin the eye surgery.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
I use an HJC motocross helmet, Scott Turbo Flow OTG goggles and a No-Fog breath deflector. Works like a charm.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I got Lasik about a year and a half ago. It's so nice not having to deal with glasses or contacts anymore. Definately worth the money, plus I even got financed so I could pay for it over a year.

Rob

·
Registered
142 Posts
I got rid of the nose shield use anti fog on glasses and shield only time i have a problem is when i stop when i start riding again i open shield till they clear and close shield never have a problem. thats trail riding though.

·
Registered
314 Posts

That does not address your immediate needs. Ever talk with anyone who has a BV2S helmet that wears glasses??? Hopefully someone who has one AND who wears glasses will chime in. I would think, given the way it completely exhausts your warm breath, would help. I have that helmet and really really like it, but I have not tried it with glasses.[/b]
I found that in the years I rode with glasses it was not an issue until you hit the rough stuff and your body temp goes up. Your breathe does play a role but if you get warm and start sweating the moisture given off by your face condenses on your cold glasses. The more helmet ventilation would help. But then your face gets cold on long straight runs. It seems you just have to live with it and modulate the opening on the face shield or vents in the helmet.

I got a form of lasik a few years ago and I love it. It is inexpensive and more tried and true these days. Snowmobiling, jetskiing, waterskiing and all of that active stuff now rock.

·
Registered
514 Posts
We have done years of research on this very topic-I rode for 10 years with glasses and have plenty miles of experience. First, fogging comes from at least two sources: your breath and the heat/persperation your head will generate on a ride. These variables are just that-they will change by the day-ride-temp.-hour-ect. There are many ways to combat this and we have products designed and tested that work-so do others. For a snowmobiler that MUST use glasses there are two good solutions in my experience. BOTH involve getting a goggle with a built-in fan. First, you can get the PRO-VUE with your Rx bonded to the inner lens. Great idea and proven performance. You can also purchase Smith goggles that have a Rx insert that is suspended inside the goggle from above. Your eye Dr. takes the insert and cuts a Rx for you-then it's simple to pop it in. Ok. Are you done yet? Not quite. You need some kind of deflector to combat breath fog and the fan combats the persperation between your head and the inside of the goggle. You don't need the fan on all the time-with experience you'll get it done rather quickly. Last, remember to check out your gear before you ride and make sure there is no exposed skin.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I tried to solve that problem for many years. I'd get the fogging mostly when I stopped to take a break with my helmet on. When I was moving i'd be fine, i'd sometimes have to crack the shield but not all that often. I also had to remove my breath deflector because my glasses would not sit on my nose correctly or any little bump I hit the deflector was moving my glasses around. I used to run a HJC helmet and i'd run all my vents open, chin vents, brow vents and shield vents. That seemed to help keep the air moving. But like I said, once I stopped it was all over, i'd just end up taking my helmet off at every break or my glasses but I hated not being able to see well. I wear contacts now so things are fine. I still dont run a breath deflector because I hate that thing pushing on my face.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I drilled a few small holes on each side of my visor and it has worked for me. At first hint of a fog up I can turn my head left or right and catch some air. I put them on the side as not to have direct air on my face. When you get up to speed you my hear some noise from the wind but glasses stay clear. More venting is less moisture build up in bucket, but also alittle colder on head, but I can see. I am sure this weekens the visor but have hit branches in the past and have broke them just as easy without the holes. Good luck and post if you come up with a differnt way.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've had the same fogging problem for years. A few years back I bought a Modular helmet (Ski-Doo) that worked OK. But as was mentioned as soon as I started riding hard I would get warm and would be fighting the fogging problem again. I've even froze up the vent holes a few times (couldn't breath)! This year I decided to try the Motocross style helmet with Pro-vue perscription goggles. This is by far the best setup I've run. The only time it begins to fog is when you stop. I ordered mine with the velcro strap so it's easy to peal off the goggles so that they stay clear. I have about $350.00 into the helmet and goggles, but it was worth it for me.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I have found this stuff-KleerVu anti-fog cleaner, to be very effective. When we went to Yellowstone earlier this year, we used that stuff and it was really good! You can get it at Smart recreational products(an advertiser on the right strip of this web site).

·
Registered
7,348 Posts
My dad has the same problem. He still uses the open-face style helmet with the flip-up visor and wonders how I go out when it gets really cold! I told him to get some OTG goggles and a MX helmet.

·
Registered
214 Posts
The first generation Doo modular helmet works great for me. However, on a budget, I'd recommend my previous fix, which is the MST No-Fog mask. It's a bit of a pain but it works well.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
This year I decided to try the Motocross style helmet with Pro-vue perscription goggles. This is by far the best setup I've run. The only time it begins to fog is when you stop. I ordered mine with the velcro strap so it's easy to peal off the goggles so that they stay clear. I have about $350.00 into the helmet and goggles, but it was worth it for me.[/b]
X2

I've been riding sleds since 67 and had glasses even before than. I've always wore an open face helmet with flip up shield until I started using MX style helmets with goggles. I never had full face helemet but have tried them on at dealers and just didn't like them. Anyways the best way to go is with a MX style helmet, goggles and no fog mask. I've rarely had fogging problems though the years with this set up. I also use the quick straps on my goggles so than when I'm at a stop for an extrended amount of time the goggles come off. When I resume rding, I can just attach them once I get moving. You fog up the most when your sitting still and there is no air circulation. Oh, and I go the Scott's turbo goggles with the small fan. I don't use it much but it's there just in case.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts