Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't want to sound like some kind of a tourist operater, but a lot of fellas who ride in Michigan should perhap consider riding the other side of the border. The trail permit is expensive , but with your dollar exchange $1cdn. = $ 1.65 U.S. even that permit price isn't bad . The trails here are groomed well and if you stay out of the "tourist areas" they aren't too busy. I've never ridden in Michigan but some friends have and still do (Cadillac and Gaylord) but they still prefer the trails here.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
what is the cost of the trail permit, and what r the trail conditions up there right now, was thinking about taking the train up there, starting in sault ste. marie, anyone tried this, and how was it

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
ill tell u why im boy cotting canda. THE FRIGG'N speed limit. C'MON 50 KPH, what is that any way 30 MPH?

When i ride michigan its WOT between stop signs that are 5 miles apart when the trials are good. Thats why i snowmobile, its the last powersport that is goverened by a speed limit. :ph34r:

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:wacko: Yeah that speed limit really sux. Most everyone generaly ignores it but i think someones trying to make an issue over that this winter too. I beleive the permit price is 180 or 200 dollars cdn, but i'm sure you can buy one or seven day passes for a lot less.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Trail passes are $170.00 cn after Dec 1, but man the trails are worth it. Come on up north and find some awesome trails. After all, all we have is 46,000 kms of groomed trails. Plus your hard earned American $ is worth $1.62 over here. That translates into a pretty cheap trip for u guys all in all. And yes you can buy day and week passes. Give it a try someday. :D :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
293 Posts
170 bucks year, 100 bucks week, 30 bucks day. But don't come up here I'm keeping the trails to myself :)

Go slow around towns (speed limit is only 30 kph I think in town limits about 20mph ) and roads and no one will bother you speed wise. Course you never know where they will set a speed trap. Most ( not all ) police use common sense in thier approach to speeding. No danger to others no fine.

Trails keep the speeds down because of the twistys and trees. Power lines, rail beds and lakes are the places of choice to open up. Remember if you are doing 60 in a 30 the fine will be a couple hundred bucks. There is 0 tolerance around towns.

Lakes are my prefered place to fly pull off to the side of the trail and open up. If you not on the trail the limit does not apply. Watch for ice ridges they can be up to 10 feet high, 3 feet thick and white just like the snow making them almost invisible.

·
Registered
51 Posts
There is a speed limit on lakes too! Not many people know about it. I couldn't tell you what the limit is, but I think it's 35 mph. No one pays attention to it because most cops don't know anything about where the ice is safe & if they did, they ride way too slow sleds to do anything anyways!! So they don't waste their time. I have been stopped by Park wardens on Georgian Bay but they're just checking for papers. Not sure if they have any authority on the ice. I can see them having authority on the islands (Georgian Bay Nat. Parks.)

Anyway, Just a bit of pointless trivia.

Go here for any info on sledding in Ontario

OFSC

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
a radar dector does you shit if you cant see or here it. when u r doing 100+ in a sled u dont have time to watch the dector if you value your life.

·
Registered
209 Posts
There is also a speed limit here on tug hill its 55 unless otherwise posted . Remember there are alot of familys out there riding with little kids on there sleds . If you want to open it just hit one of the lakes , just watch out for a super fast patriot f7 sno-pro :ph34r:

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
"ill tell u why im boy cotting canda. THE FRIGG'N speed limit. C'MON 50 KPH, what is that any way 30 MPH?

When i ride michigan its WOT between stop signs that are 5 miles apart when the trials are good. Thats why i snowmobile, its the last powersport that is goverened by a speed limit. "

Thank God F7 Ditch-Jumper is staying in Michigan :eek:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts