Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my dad lives in the U.P. want to go there and see him and hit up the trials with my bike...i havent been there in years but im sure all of the old railroad grades are still open and have trials around.

Question is...is it hunting season there right now? If so what season and are the hunters/DNR pretty strict about riding/ATVing during hunting season, or will it piss a lot of people off or whats up?

The place im going is in the middle of nowhere, small town called eckerman. Its kinda between strongs and hulbert, a little north of trout lake

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Its hunting season there are no riding rules until nov. 15 th. If you keep off private property which can look like a trail should be all right. There are hunter harrasment laws if you do bother them too much even on public land so take it easy around them if you see any

·
Registered
15 Posts
Around the Soo and Brimley area a lot of the gates are closed, but there are easy ways around them for 4-wheelers and bikes...my truck won't quite fit tho :doh: I saw a few trucks parked on the side of the trails, but didn't notice any hunters. I assume they know better than to hunt near the more commonly used trails. :beerchug:

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Originally posted by JaybirdLSSU@Oct 17 2005, 05:24 AM
Around the Soo and Brimley area a lot of the gates are closed, but there are easy ways around them for 4-wheelers and bikes...my truck won't quite fit tho :doh: I saw a few trucks parked on the side of the trails, but didn't notice any hunters. I assume they know better than to hunt near the more commonly used trails. :beerchug:
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=934522
[/quote]

That's real smart just keep going around the gates and get the trails shut down :frech32:

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
:withstupid:

·
Registered
9 Posts
It's hunting season everywhere right now. In that part of the State a lot of folks are literally trying to stock their freezers to make it through the winter. There are also a ton of hunt camps in that area that guys are preparing for the Holy Grail of hunting on November 15th. Trail riding is legal but I'd stick to the common trails that are still opened. If you're out cruising on quad, you'll probably be fine. If you're tearing up to the two tracks with a piped up Enduro? It'd be like having a group of monster truckers riding down our trails in February. And don't forget, most folks you run across will be armed.

·
Banned
10,423 Posts
Originally posted by BALLZOUT@Oct 17 2005, 10:41 AM
That's real smart just keep going around the gates and get the trails shut down  :frech32:
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=934809
[/quote]my thoughts exactly :frech32: don't f it up for those of us that like to ride up there, o.k?? :div20:

·
Registered
262 Posts
I think your best bet is to stay on the main trails. Don't forget about the crazy people that are out hunting. ie. Wisconsin last year, what 5 people died. It is only bow season, but I'd still play it safe. Is there an early rifle season in this area? Might want to find out!!!

·
Registered
20,649 Posts
I dont know if I would go riding durning huntin season. some red neck might take some pop shots at ya. I have herd a few poching blasts this season around my house at like 1am.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Usual rules are that you are allowed to ride 11 am to 2 pm during the day and them after sunset as the hunters must stop hunting 1/2 hour past sunset. Officially the trails open Dec. 1 so any private lands leased by the DNR for trails would not be open.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Originally posted by sgeerligs@Oct 27 2005, 01:21 PM
Usual rules are that you are allowed to ride 11 am to 2 pm during the day and them after sunset as the hunters must stop hunting 1/2 hour past sunset.  Officially the trails open Dec. 1 so any private lands leased by the DNR for trails would not be open.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=960368
[/quote]
:div20: :beerchug: It's called common sense, just use it and you will be fine.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Trails on private land are closed until after muzzle loading season. For the UP it's either the 7th or 15th. Might be safe to say trails should be open after the 15th. Please don"t go around the gates on to private property this is how we lose our trail system. Wait till deer season is over.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Originally posted by BALLZOUT@Oct 17 2005, 10:41 AM
That's real smart just keep going around the gates and get the trails shut down  :frech32:
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=934809
[/quote]
:Wow1:

First of all, I do not own a 4-wheeler, nor do I have any friends up here that do. I do however, have the proper ORV sticker on my truck and go on the trails I'm legally allowed to. I was merely joking about my truck going around the gates, it's too nice to mess up the sides on a move like that. Sorry about any confusion there!

Secondly, the area around the gates are EASY access for a 4-wheeler, which gives me the impression that they're ALLOWED to ride these trails. The gates are to simply keep the trucks out, as they're only near the city limits. ANNNND they're on old rail-road grades (Trail 8 near the Soo for those in the know), so there isn't much of a private land issue with that anyhow. I would be surprised/angry/appauled if this trail was closed even more than all of you would be as I look forward to using it this winter and for many winters to come as my primary sled transportation to the western UP.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program :no_bashing:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts