Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, i have never rode in new york. I have been online trying to do research on rules/regs etc. found the “interactive” trail maps online. Still trying to get to know the trails in different areas of the state. We are from indiana and thinking of a
Different location to try out. We mainly like wooded trails. Hills, twisty, legal off- trail etc. Not so much just wide open field trails. Any information any of
You have would be great. As i know pretty much nothing about the are. Suggestions, warnings, tips etc. would be awesome.
Secondly, is there even any decent snow to ride at the moment? Or is it little to none like the midwest...
Thirdly, are any establishments even open to get food/beverage?

·
Registered
718 Posts
I live in western NY, nothing here, was in Old Forge over New Years weekend, was minimal, certainly not worth driving from Indiana for. Most places you ride in NY are going to be wooded trails or small farm fields. As far as bars, it depends where you are. Our douchebag governor seems to decide on a daily basis who he will "allow" to be open. There definitely are places open, but not as many as there should be. Feel free to PM me if you want more info.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Oh and you will need a guest registration to ride in NY, no extra trail permits unless you ride in Old Forge area. I cannot tell you exactly how to obtain a registration, but from what Ive heard its a pain in the ass. Try NYSDMV.gov or NYSSA for more info.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok thanks for the info. I think i found where to get a guest registration. Sounds like you guys are in the same “junk boat up shit creek” situation as Michigan is in. Up there you cant dine in anywhere. But you can go in and order and then sit outside in tents or around fires and eat the food and drink there. So dumb. Well thank you for the info. I’ll pm if needing more info.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Join a club (look online) then Google how to register out of state snowmobile in NY. Your membership to NYSSA will give you a pin number, that number will get you registered per sled for $45.00, instead of $100.00 by joining a club, the clubs get kickbacks from the state and your registration and fuel sales to help maintain trails. I join CLSC for $35.00. My NY registration took 5 min online, about 12 days to get...easy..

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
Ok thanks for the info. I think i found where to get a guest registration. Sounds like you guys are in the same “junk boat up shit creek” situation as Michigan is in. Up there you cant dine in anywhere. But you can go in and order and then sit outside in tents or around fires and eat the food and drink there. So dumb. Well thank you for the info. I’ll pm if needing more info.
You. Can go in and dine here sit at bar etc. just reduced overlap capacity. We need a bit more snow. It will come. If we can get another 2 feet in nxt couple weeks and it stays. You will have to mouth area to ride to be worth it. Not worth a trip here now. Save your time and money. Keep cheacking back here though. I’m. On top of it all the time we are at base of tug. So have a good grip on what is good enough. Can give you some good Advise on how to have a great trip instead of a good trip. When the snow finally comes. We are wayyy behind right now. Having a great trip starts by being aware of the areas surrounding hill. I always read in here how visitors spend there trip riding around in 40-60 mile circles up top. And I’ve read that they feel like wtf. But that’s only because They didn’t make sure there was proper snow and were not aware or ambitious enough to spread the wings enough.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I hate out of town assholes who come to my area and rip through the farmers fields off the trail because they don't give a fuck. I'm 40 mins from Tug hill, Tug sucked this past weekend not enough snow

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
same as they did here in march/april. covid hitting the city so they all ran up here. no care about us, cleaned out our stores and pretty much told us to fuck off. the way they drive and act locally is unreal. can't imagine these people riding a sled. they would ride right over the posted signs.

·
Registered
2021 SB Assault 850 - Proud member of Southern Tug Hill Sno-Riders
916 Posts
Shit right now we gotta dodge trucks, 4 wheelers, and coyote hunters with packs of dogs on our snirt covered trails.

·
Registered
2021 Polaris VR1 650
180 Posts
good chance of snow this weekend along with some lake effect, fingers crossed.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I rode pharsalia, ny today and the seasonal roads were still very good and fully covered
Same here. We did another 67-miles today on the "Little Tug". That wasn't you on the blue-black sled on the North Road I went whippin' by at approx. 3:30-4-ish today, was it?

I did have to ride the little woman's '04 Rev today, because the starter gave out on my '16 Renny at under 2.5K miles. Grrrrrr!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Same here. We did another 67-miles today on the "Little Tug". That wasn't you on the blue-black sled on the North Road I went whippin' by at approx. 3:30-4-ish today, was it?

I did have to ride the little woman's '04 Rev today, because the starter gave out on my '16 Renny at under 2.5K miles. Grrrrrr!
I was there early and rode from 8:30AM till about noon. Did not see a single person out there except for the logging crews.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Here's the average trail condition in this part of CNY right now. No sleds out this week around here.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
i know what you mean. i just installed some studded dillinger 4 , and a badass wren fork. get to greene county at all? we have some good fat biking

·
Registered
367 Posts
I rode my fatty all year this year, never even took out my 29. My wife put a pair of 45N Wrathchilds (4.6") under the tree, and I sure do appreciate it. Not the fastest rolling, but goddam do they ever bite and turn, they are awesome at breaking trail or chewing through crusty crud, and they ride real nice too. At least that's working out, because the snowmobiling, not so much.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
i typically use the fat bike to fill in the cracks of sledding. so far it has been the other way around. we have an awesome trail system year round. when it snows we groom for fat bikes.
round top mountain bike association

·
Registered
253 Posts
1 - 20 of 41 Posts