Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IF YOU ARE HEADED OUT THERE TODAY, PLEASE USE CAUTION, REMEMBER ALL THE OPEN WATER BARS AND DITCHES!
HAVE FUN AND, HAVE A SAFE TRIP
HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL :yelrotflmao:

·
Registered
31 Posts
In addition to the waterbars, my buddies and I were in the Woodford area the other day and at about 5pm we encountered a moose ont he trail (as well as a lot of moose tracks on the trail!). I have heard all sorts of things from the local people about how dangerous these things can be (aside from actually hitting one, of course) and I have to say, this thing stopped, turned around and looked at us, and realizing that there was no way the three of us could spin around and take off the other way fast enough, I almost messed my drawers. Luckilly, after eyeing us up for a moment, it turned back around and loped off down the trail. Has anyone had any other experiences with these moose??. After seeing the sheer size of this thing it also changed my feeling on cruising at our normal "trail speeds" as I cannot imagine what would happen if one jumped out in front of you while crusing down a trail at 70. Happy, healthy, and safe new year to all!

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
What trail were you riding? We ran into a few coyotes on the trail last week.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
We've seen 5 Moose in the past week on the trails in the NEK!!! 3 were HUGE with enormous racks!!!

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
These two bulls did the same to us. I pulled up to within maybe 50 yards they both turned around gave us a look over then turned around and starting running up the trail side by side - if anyone was coming around that corner at speed they would have been in for a big surpise.

http://www.slednh.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=871

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
we've seen the moose several times in the past years, i have yet to see any this year.
but, it would be a HUGE surprise to have one standing in the trail when you round a corner :beatingdeadhorse:

·
Registered
31 Posts
We were on the trail with the old abandoned bus on it. I only know it as "the bus trail", although I know it has a name/number like "7a" or something. This moose did not have a rack, but it was enormous. Didn't someone hit a young moose a couple years ago and leave it??. I know Rich (A to Z) had a flyer from the police inside his shop a couple years ago stating it is like an @ $5000 fine if you do hit one and do not report it. All I know is it makes me nervous knowing there are animals the size of Kubota tractors running around out there when we are riding. I clipped a small tree at slower speed last year (luckilly my sled missed it and I hit it with my chest) and got to spend the day in the southern Vermont Medical center emergency room. Compared to that four inch tree at @ 25 mph, I cannot imagine what the impact of hitting a four legged bulldozer would feel like.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I was speaking to someone in Shrewsbury on Sunday and they told a story of a cow moose charging some sleds on the trail. They had found it on the trail and when it went off the trail they started to pass. One or two of them got by before the moose decided to charge back onto the trail. He said the group had to wait about 45 minutes for the moose to loose interest and amble off so that they could finish passing.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
As the snow getts deeper, it forces the wild animals, small and large, onto our nice packed snowmobile trails as a easier way to get around the woods.

Drive expecting to meet groomers, sleds, and other animals everywhere.

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
I was speaking to someone in Shrewsbury on Sunday and they told a story of a cow moose charging some sleds on the trail. They had found it on the trail and when it went off the trail they started to pass. One or two of them got by before the moose decided to charge back onto the trail. He said the group had to wait about 45 minutes for the moose to loose interest and amble off so that they could finish passing.[/b]
:eek:oh4: What the hell would you do if one started charging you head on???
As the snow getts deeper, it forces the wild animals, small and large, onto our nice packed snowmobile trails as a easier way to get around the woods.

Drive expecting to meet groomers, sleds, and other animals everywhere.[/b]
Very true!

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Almost hit one on the 1 trail three years ago. It tried climbing onto the trail from deep snow from thick brush as I passed. It finally made it into the trail in front of the guy following me. He almost hit it as the moose continued accross the trail and into to the thick brush. He almost loaded his shorts.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
yep, i went right over the bars the other day,when my skis hooked on a waterbar, near manshester

there are some pretty nasty ones out there, be careful

·
Registered
424 Posts
hey guy's i see the moose is loose they willl frequent the trail's as the snow get's deeper and yes they will charge ya if the get spooked so be careful out there

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I'm no moose expert, but I've been riding a long time, and seen a lot of moose....but I've NEVER been charged, nor do I know anyone has ever been charged.

I'm not saying its not possible, but I don't know if I'd go so far as to say they are "dangerous animals".....Maybe the guys that said they were dangerous, or would charge, would let us know if they've had personal experiences, or if its just heresay?

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
Most times they are fairly timid until the rutting season comes. There is one bull up here that will eat jelly donuts out of a guys hand and drink Bud. The donut part is ok but drinking that swill is a sign of a desperate animal.

·
Registered
358 Posts
:eek:oh4: What the hell would you do if one started charging you head on???[/b]
leave your sled and move to cover (big trees or rocks).

if it continuied to attack you (which i doubt would ever happen), i guess you'd have to kill it.

i've seen a moose chace a motorcycle, he was able to get far enough away fast enough so the moose gave up.

i met two in a corner once, i locked up the track and stopped about 5' from them.

i just waited and they moved off.

never press them or try to go around them, stay as far away from them as you can and wait untill there deep enough in the woods so you cant see them anymore.

·
Registered
358 Posts
yep, i went right over the bars the other day,when my skis hooked on a waterbar, near manshester

there are some pretty nasty ones out there, be careful[/b]

maybe you need a newer sled with good suspension.

the apex had no problem with the same water bar :pointlaugh:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts