Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a leftover 2007 Crossfire 800 Sno Pro this weekend - to replace my 03 F7 Sno Pro. Sled will be getting a Seat Jack so my boys can ride with me.

Got about 75 miles of riding in.............here's my .02...........

The good:

- Nice comfortable ergos......I'm tall (6'4") and feel very comfortable and not cramped on this sled at all. The high handle bars seem to be at the perfect height. Seat is firm, but not to much so.

- Windshield is great, not too high and does a good job of deflecting the wind around you.

- Smooth motor........this thing may not be as fast as an F7 but its gonna be damn close and its 100 % smoother.

- Diamond Drive with reverse. Smooth, quiet and YES! finally a pushbutton reverse from CAT that works flawlessly.

- Controls - Nice big easy to use buttons, with the exception of the reverse button, which is hard to activate with gloves on, but they did it so it won't accidentally get hit.......otherwise, everything is easy to reach and right where you expect it to be.

- Handling - Noticed no tendency for this sled to lift the inside ski in the turns, much better than my Firecat and I like the way my F7 handles. Not 100% sold on the stock skis yet, but may try to dial in some more ski pressure before changing, running C&A's on the F7 which are alot more aggressive.

- Rear skid soaks up bumps pretty much effortlessly, I feel that the only thing I will do is pull in on the limiter straps and crank the front skid shock.

- 136" track? really, never know it from riding it, seems no different that riding a 128" in mt opinion, turned just as well.

- FOX Floats......my first set, will have to play with them a little to see the effects of different air pressures, but they seemed to perform well and they are lighter than standard coilovers, so a win,win.

The Bad:

- Definitely need to get kneepads installed, knees hit the cowl too many times, plus I found myself riding way forward with my knees against the cowl alot also.......Cheap fix though.

- Ummmmmmm......Where the F--- is the damn Wilwood brake? It looks as though CAT is now using a Hayes brake? I cannot understand why they would mess with the best brake in the business. Don't get me wrong, the brake is fine, it works fine, but he lever has too much travel.......every Cat I have had for the last 10 years had the Wilwood and I have grown used to it. I'm sure I will get used to the new one as well.

- Tether cord - IMO should be standard on all sleds - they are mandated on watercrafts, why not sleds?

- 4" carbides - I will never understand why Cat won't put decent carbides on their performance sleds.

Overall

This sled rocks! I am real happy with my decision to buy this sled. I was riding around all weekend with a huge smile on my face. The sled is comfortable and easy to ride. A 128" version of this sled is what the Firecat should have transitioned to........they would have sold a ton of them. The ride and handling are fantastic, the 136" skid really bridges the bumps. There were alot of bumps that I would have normally felt that this sled just drove over. The motor and clutching are nice and smooth, the thing backshifts fairly hard, so you really don't need the brake a whole lot. The Sno Pro package, as anticipated, is perfect for me and my riding style.........I have the springs set on 1 and the thing never even hinted at bottoming (I am 300+ lbs with gear on).

Future Plans

- Iso-Vibe - won't ride without one.......

- Studs - will be adding Fast Trac Top Gun II's to this sled in the future.

- Knee pads - Paul expect and order!

- Skis - may change if I can't get the stock ones to handle to my liking - thinking of Simmons Flex Ski for this one. I got a chance to ride an 06 Crossfire 7 with them and really liked the way it handled.

So to answer the common question - is it that much better than a Firecat? - YES!! (and I love my Firecat!)

Try one ......you'll like it.

I cannot wait to get more miles on this sled. :smiley-faces7:

[attachment=410246:image009.jpg]

[attachment=410251:image032.jpg]

[attachment=410272:image015.jpg]

·
Registered
9,280 Posts
Thats great to hear a real world comparison with a Fcat!!!! nice job, and congrats on the new sled!

·
Registered
67 Posts
sweet ride ... I have the same in the 1000 version and it just ROCKS ... only stock yet will up date the clutch in a bit ..... have fun & in joy....ride safe.. :thumbsup: :D

·
Vendor
17,622 Posts
Picked up a leftover 2007 Crossfire 800 Sno Pro this weekend - to replace my 03 F7 Sno Pro. Sled will be getting a Seat Jack so my boys can ride with me.

The good:

- Nice comfortable ergos......I'm tall (6'4") and feel very comfortable and not cramped on this sled at all. The high handle bars seem to be at the perfect height. Seat is firm, but not to much so.

- Windshield is great, not too high and does a good job of deflecting the wind around you.

- Smooth motor........this thing may not be as fast as an F7 but its gonna be damn close and its 100 % smoother.

- Diamond Drive with reverse. Smooth, quiet and YES! finally a pushbutton reverse from CAT that works flawlessly.

- Controls - Nice big easy to use buttons, with the exception of the reverse button, which is hard to activate with gloves on, but they did it so it won't accidentally get hit.......otherwise, everything is easy to reach and right where you expect it to be.

- Handling - Noticed no tendency for this sled to lift the inside ski in the turns, much better than my Firecat and I like the way my F7 handles. Not 100% sold on the stock skis yet, but may try to dial in some more ski pressure before changing, running C&A's on the F7 which are alot more aggressive.

- Rear skid soaks up bumps pretty much effortlessly, I feel that the only thing I will do is pull in on the limiter straps and crank the front skid shock.

- 136" track? really, never know it from riding it, seems no different that riding a 128" in mt opinion, turned just as well.

- FOX Floats......my first set, will have to play with them a little to see the effects of different air pressures, but they seemed to perform well and they are lighter than standard coilovers, so a win,win.

The Bad:

- Definitely need to get kneepads installed, knees hit the cowl too many times, plus I found myself riding way forward with my knees against the cowl alot also.......Cheap fix though.

- Ummmmmmm......Where the F--- is the damn Wilwood brake? It looks as though CAT is now using a Hayes brake? I cannot understand why they would mess with the best brake in the business. Don't get me wrong, the brake is fine, it works fine, but he lever has too much travel.......every Cat I have had for the last 10 years had the Wilwood and I have grown used to it. I'm sure I will get used to the new one as well.

- Tether cord - IMO should be standard on all sleds - they are mandated on watercrafts, why not sleds?

- 4" carbides - I will never understand why Cat won't put decent carbides on their performance sleds.

Overall

This sled rocks! I am real happy with my decision to buy this sled. I was riding around all weekend with a huge smile on my face. The sled is comfortable and easy to ride. A 128" version of this sled is what the Firecat should have transitioned to........they would have sold a ton of them. The ride and handling are fantastic, the 136" skid really bridges the bumps. There were alot of bumps that I would have normally felt that this sled just drove over. The motor and clutching are nice and smooth, the thing backshifts fairly hard, so you really don't need the brake a whole lot. The Sno Pro package, as anticipated, is perfect for me and my riding style.........I have the springs set on 1 and the thing never even hinted at bottoming (I am 300+ lbs with gear on).

Future Plans

- Skis - may change if I can't get the stock ones to handle to my liking - thinking of Simmons Flex Ski for this one. I got a chance to ride an 06 Crossfire 7 with them and really liked the way it handled.

So to answer the common question - is it that much better than a Firecat? - YES!! (and I love my Firecat!)

[attachment=410272:image015.jpg][/b]
Jay,

Thanks for the report....much needed info and I've been sold! Did you have the 08 reflash done to it before you took delivery? Notice any fat spots or bogging? How was oil consumption and fuel mileage? I know you only put on 75 miles and probably mixed gas so you don't know yet but when you do post it up.

Thanks,
Paul

·
Premium Member
2,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jay,

Thanks for the report....much needed info and I've been sold! Did you have the 08 reflash done to it before you took delivery? Notice any fat spots or bogging? How was oil consumption and fuel mileage? I know you only put on 75 miles and probably mixed gas so you don't know yet but when you do post it up.

Thanks,
Paul[/b]
Paul,

No re-flash yet, dealer is going to look into it and let me know.

I didn't notice any bog or fat spots. Fuel consumption was actually good, it was less than the 02 ZL600 and 00 ZL 500 I was riding with, so I would imagine it will only get better once she gets some more mileage on.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Congrats on the new sled, sounds like you are really going to enjoy it if we ever get more cold weather :snowfall: It sure looks like a nice ride thats for sure enjoy !

·
Registered
254 Posts

The good:

The Bad:

Overall

Future Plans

[attachment=410272:image015.jpg][/b]
The brakes can be fixed. It really is not the master cyl, but more of a problem at the caliper. The bleeder is right next o the line on one side of the caliper. This configuration is a piss poor design as air gets trapped on the outboard side piston. The trick I found to bleeding the system is tip the sled on the right side at more than a 45* angel. tap the caliper to get the bubbles to move. You will need a nother set of hands to do this so call a buddy over.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Jay,
Thanks for taking the time to post your experience. Nice Sled. Now that its a few weeks later, and hopefully you've gotten in some more riding, do you have any solid gas mileage numbers from your XF? Just Curious. From the info I've heard, it should be better then the 700's and possibly the 600's.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
The brakes can be fixed. It really is not the master cyl, but more of a problem at the caliper. The bleeder is right next o the line on one side of the caliper. This configuration is a piss poor design as air gets trapped on the outboard side piston. The trick I found to bleeding the system is tip the sled on the right side at more than a 45* angel. tap the caliper to get the bubbles to move. You will need a nother set of hands to do this so call a buddy over.[/b]
x2. It's a tricky design to bleed, but works fine when you get the air out. Mine had air in it right from the factory.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
All the OEM's use junk carbides as stock -- I'm sure it's cost thing though they'll tell you it's because of individual preference and that people would change them out anyway.

·
Premium Member
2,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Jay,
Thanks for taking the time to post your experience. Nice Sled. Now that its a few weeks later, and hopefully you've gotten in some more riding, do you have any solid gas mileage numbers from your XF? Just Curious. From the info I've heard, it should be better then the 700's and possibly the 600's.

Thanks[/b]
Haven't been really watching gas mileage, but its less than my wifes Sabercat 600............ Just had the ECU reflashed last week and will have to see what happens.

Sled is awesome, loving more everytime I ride it. The only complaint right now, is that I want more bite from the skis. I have put my C&A's from my F7 on, but really didn't like the way the sled reacted. I will be checking toe out this weekend and probably going back to the stock skis with 7.5" Shaper bars.

·
Premium Member
4,252 Posts
Haven't been really watching gas mileage, but its less than my wifes Sabercat 600............ Just had the ECU reflashed last week and will have to see what happens.

Sled is awesome, loving more everytime I ride it. The only complaint right now, is that I want more bite from the skis. I have put my C&A's from my F7 on, but really didn't like the way the sled reacted. I will be checking toe out this weekend and probably going back to the stock skis with 7.5" Shaper bars.[/b]
Put on some powder pro's. They are much more aggresive then stock on the trail, and float through the powder.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
That is exactly how i feel about my X-fire 8SP, the best trail sled ive driven and corners really well, I worked out my gas milage to be 17 MPG very good IMO and better then two f7's f1000 and f8 this weekend. Only complaint I have from mine is small gas tank compared to the f7...

·
Registered
4,395 Posts
I agree it's a great sled. I've put on the 1.5 intense track which REALLY helps the thing hook up! Added powder pro skis with 6.5 carbides. I'm still getting the sled dialed in..........thinking about a riser or ISO vibe. I want the bars a little higher and closer to the rider.

·
Premium Member
2,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I agree it's a great sled. I've put on the 1.5 intense track which REALLY helps the thing hook up! Added powder pro skis with 6.5 carbides. I'm still getting the sled dialed in..........thinking about a riser or ISO vibe. I want the bars a little higher and closer to the rider.[/b]
I am thinking about doing the 1.5 Intense track instead of studding. I'm not that impressed with the 1.25" that they put on this sled, the 1.375" on my F7 hooks up a lot better. Is there any mods needed to go to the Intense track?

·
Registered
6,976 Posts
Jay, no mods needed for the intense. I'd suggest taking a look at the new cobra track used on the F's. It's basically a 1.25", but full paddles unlike the filter teeth on the ripsaw.

I think the intense would be an AWESOME track for 50% trail, 50% powder. That said it's a cut down Challenger. Probably not the best trail track and if I'm not mistaken almost all your riding is on trail. The durability might not be there for the long run. Of course if you treat it well it will probably last. I think for me the intense would work as I ride my stuff pretty easy.

·
Registered
4,395 Posts
I am thinking about doing the 1.5 Intense track instead of studding. I'm not that impressed with the 1.25" that they put on this sled, the 1.375" on my F7 hooks up a lot better. Is there any mods needed to go to the Intense track?[/b]
No mods needed. I believe you can put a 3 inch riser on the CF with out cable extentions. Does the ISO vibe come in different hights? 2", 3", 4", 5", ect.....?

·
Premium Member
2,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Jay, no mods needed for the intense. I'd suggest taking a look at the new cobra track used on the F's. It's basically a 1.25", but full paddles unlike the filter teeth on the ripsaw.

I think the intense would be an AWESOME track for 50% trail, 50% powder. That said it's a cut down Challenger. Probably not the best trail track and if I'm not mistaken almost all your riding is on trail. The durability might not be there for the long run. Of course if you treat it well it will probably last. I think for me the intense would work as I ride my stuff pretty easy.[/b]
Thanks. Yes, most of my riding is trail riding, but there are alot of times that I am breaking trail. I do run into ice and hard pack, so I am probably better suited to the stock track with studs.........

1 - 20 of 24 Posts